DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam Pt 2 - 9/24/2021

SirFozzie

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Re: the believability of most wrestling moves vis a vis double suplexes, whips to the ropes, et cetera...

There's a lot about pro wrestling as simulated combat that doesn't make sense. If the argument is that pro wrestling should have no visible cooperation, then I don't know how much you're going to really enjoy about pro wrestling while also analyzing it in such detail that you are also discussing height and mass differences. As if any of us even know what the Young Bucks can lift anyway. Unless some of us are being creepers and watching them at the gym.

(If you are, stop that. It's weird.)

Edited by Stefanie the Human

23 hours ago, Hagan said:

No kidding! I was gonna point that out, too. It’s why so many of these arguments just fall apart. Like when Corny talks about how the Young Bucks look like they can’t win a real fight as if Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis looked like the fucking Bruiser and Crusher rolling into a bar.

Just a side note from this:

Everytime I hear Cornette say something about Chuck Taylor's physique and how nobody could take him seriously as an athlete I immediately think "you managed Dennis Condrey! If you showed a hundred people who doesn't know who either of them are pictures of both of them, 98 of them would say Taylor looks more athletic!"

Edit: This is not a knock on Condrey, who was awesome and a much better wrestler than Chuckie T.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

The gym thing reminds me of when FSW was in his glory because someone posted a pic of Punk benching with what looked like light plates until someone explained to him how heavy the barbell was. I can’t remember some family members’ birthdays but I still retain memories of posts by weird dudes on message boards years later. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Physique arguments against the Bucks are old hat especially when there are dad bods like Tyson Fury and Andy Ruiz winning world titles and Darby is one of the most balls-to-the-wall wrestlers in the company. 

I doubt the Bucks will ever be my cup of tea but not everyone needs to look and work like the Steiners. 

I'd still back Condrey and Eaton against them in a street fight ?

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Homicide debut was interesting. I loved him back in the day, but I haven't seen him wrestle in over 10 years. Is he washed or still decent?

More decent, than washed. His Suzuki match from last week was a very good Suzuki match, and he’s been a good hand in tags when performing in ROH. But you can tell he’s seen better days as a wrestler.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Finally got around to seeing Rampage.  Could be due to where I was sitting but I think in this case the crowd sounded a lot better on TV than live.  You could really feel the silence in between spots and it took the crowd to do a noise throughout that I'm assuming is a NY thing.  But the matches served their purpose and I thought the 8-man was my favorite for the chaos.  Though Punk/Hobbs was pretty damn good too.

As for the main on rewatch it felt a bit off with the extended Suzuki Gun offense.  Maybe it didn't register live because I was still freaking out over singing "Kaze Ni Nare!"  But the duct tape spot was unnecessary and the heat should have been shortened by maybe two minutes.  Heck, if I had my way I'd have them just fight all around the arena though I can see wanting to put the focus on Suzuki.  Despite that I enjoyed it live and it's still great seeing Homicide show up.  As for Eddie he's to me the biggest winner.  He's been fighting a lot of his life and if anybody deserves to get their roses it's him.  And man for a hometown dude you can't do much better than a chopfest with Suzuki and winning with your best friends by your side.

• Like 1

Thinking back to my comments earlier on the Matt Jackson double suplex: I think for me, it's not a strength thing, nor is it a size thing (like I said, I love the Bucks) it's more that I think it's one of those "Powerbombing Kidman" kind of setups, or for more contemporary examples, the draping on the ropes for the Orton DDT or the 619. I know it's a real weird, minor nitpick given I have no problem with anything else they do.

My problem with the Bucks is a feel they are trying to present themselves as tough guys. And I just don't see them as two guys who could go toe to toe with say Eddie and Mox in a fist fight. I'd be more into them if the worked either like the Midnights or Rock n Rolls. Either sneaky cheating heels who bump and feet or faces who can win due to quickness and agility 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
3 hours ago, The Natural said:

NSFW.

Cody's eventual heel run with Brandi as the sour cherry on a seven-tier cake of smugness and bombast is going to be delectable. 

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

My problem with the Bucks is a feel they are trying to present themselves as tough guys. And I just don't see them as two guys who could go toe to toe with say Eddie and Mox in a fist fight. I'd be more into them if the worked either like the Midnights or Rock n Rolls. Either sneaky cheating heels who bump and feet or faces who can win due to quickness and agility 

Don't they present themselves as pretend tough guys? The worst offense of them being presented as tough guys was probably going toe to toe with Butcher and Blade in that backstage brawl match. But B&B are JTTS, even more so back then.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

I fell asleep during the main event and haven't rewatched yet. But I understand Homicide showed up, so now I'm trying to remember who Homicide is. Was he on Lucha Underground season one? Big guy? Turned on Prince Puma? Kind of sucked?

lol no. I'm pretty sure you're talking of Big Ryck/Ezekial Jackson? Homicide is a New York indie guy dating back to the late '90s and early '00s in JAPW and ROH. He had a run with LAX in TNA too, that's where I imagine most would know him from.

On 9/26/2021 at 12:55 PM, Casey said:

Bro, c'mon, it's pro wrestling. Even as a WWE complaint, it's fuckin' silly.

Well 'bro'... the music certainly works in the case of Bryan Danielson's debut.  So to Adam Cole's debut.  Sometimes a proper entrance is perfect.  But big 'rushing' saves like the mentioned Conti and Homicide would unquestionably work more naturally without the production timing illogic.  Y'know, it's been proven time and time again with this company that we don't have to live in the dark ages of the Sports Entertainment standard.  Progression is a good thing.  And AEW has done quite well breaking many of WWE's 'fuckin silly' traditions, this is another that ought to be broken.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1