DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam Pt 2 - 9/24/2021

SirFozzie

Sorry, I should be more compassionate to the few of you with your anti-Elite tastes.  What it must be like to sit there watching Dynamite and not get to enjoy all, so very many, of those segments featuring the often very funny promos of the Elite and their incredible matches.  Or shitty matches to you.  That must make the experience of watching AEW very comprable to WWE, no?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Maybe their comedy is just too sophisticated for you. Have you considered that?

*sees who's smashing the like button*

I really need to work on tone. Now I'm worried people think I'm endorsing the Bucks as humorous. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

35 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Sorry, I should be more compassionate to the few of you with your anti-Elite tastes.  What it must be like to sit there watching Dynamite and not get to enjoy all, so very many, of those segments featuring the often very funny promos of the Elite and their incredible matches.  Or shitty matches to you.  That must make the experience of watching AEW very comprable to WWE, no?  

Nah. There’s a ton of people I like on AEW. TK gets way more right than he gets wrong. Again though, you used “the Elite” and “incredible matches” in the same sentence. The only way that makes sense is in the context “damn, AEW has some incredible matches, even though the Elite work there.”

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You guys who are all "i don't like this wrestler or team so i will never give a match a chance"  are odd..   i have wrestlers that i loathe that can still entertain me on occasion. 

It's one thing to not like certain wrestlers, but it's a totally different thing to feel the CONSTANT urge to tell everybody you don't like whichever wrestlers.

I remember being like that, always shitting on what I thought sucked - I was in high school. Apparently I grew the fuck up since then. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Jeez… The reactions here. I wouldn’t be shocked if you guys gave Wayne’s World 2 a rotten tomato back in the day.

“The Young Bucks, that’s another story entirely. The Lucha Brothers had to beat them to death with their own shoes…”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Jeez… The reactions here. I wouldn’t be shocked if you guys gave Wayne’s World 2 a rotten tomato back in the day.

No way, the Del Preston “I needed 10,000 brown M&M’s or Ozzy wouldn’t go on stage that night” speech is legendary stuff.  5 stars.

• Like 8

Solid matches all the way around. Punk/Hobbs may be my favorite of the night. Loved seeing the ATT fighters finally get physically involved. Sky & Page don't do much for me as a team, though I've liked Ethan, I was surprised to see them go over here. The post-match still just made me rather see Jericho/Hager vs. Arlovski/Dos Santos. I do love Masvidal as the ATT final boss, I hope he ends up working a match at some point too. And Paige VanZant came off great as heel valet. Big fan of more fighters involvement. 

Main event was fun. A great trifecta of themes on the entrances. Homicide made for a cool moment even if it did take a 3 on 2 advantage for the faces. Thought the finish was a little weak though. Still has me hoping for even more Suzuki in AEW and the SuzukiGun association gives Archer a greater motivation as he's always someone who feels like he could be more involved.

2 hours ago, Jamal said:

I'm ready for Penelope and Bunny to go around screwing with all of the face women.

I am all for and HFO version of The Beautiful People mean girls stable if it also includes Dani Jordyn.

• Like 5

I don't like the Bucks much, but they've fallen into an area where I actually like to watch their matches and I find myself rooting for them to lose. When they were faces, I just didn't want to watch them, really. So, I guess their heel schtick works on me?

• Like 6

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I enjoy plenty of AEW and the Bucks aren't my cup of tea. Kenny has grown on me as a heel and I prefer when he's apart from YB, Cutler and Nakazawa. 

Superkliq with Brandon Cutler as their lackey is really just the best stuff, and I'm by no means a huge Adam Cole fan. But he's been largely inoffensive for me in AEW so far. With his position on the card here, since he's not their top guy, I don't think he's going to be having 30+ minute matches with anyone like he always did on Takeover shows (thank god). For my Adam Cole preferences, he's best in 10-15 minute TV matches.

But, holy fuck, if we do happen to get Kevin Steen in AEW... I'm gonna need the Superkliq to turn on Kenny Omega and adopt Steen as their leader. There's a match I never knew I wanted, actually: Steen vs Omega. I know it happened in PWG, but that was twelve years ago. They're both very, very different now.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

There's a match I never knew I wanted, actually: Steen vs Omega. I know it happened in PWG, but that was twelve years ago. They're both very, very different now.

Sign me up immediately. That would be a really great match to run whenever they eventually make it to Canada (I'm sure COVID is preventing them from going there currently). A show that had that match, along with like the Owen tournament semis and finals as the undercard would probably do well with Canadian fans.

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

It's one thing to not like certain wrestlers, but it's a totally different thing to feel the CONSTANT urge to tell everybody you don't like whichever wrestlers.

I remember being like that, always shitting on what I thought sucked - I was in high school. Apparently I grew the fuck up since then. 

I’ve been thinking about this, and I’m troubled that such sentiment isn’t as loud or enthusiastically received when Cody is getting piled on. The disrespect is real. Cody Rhodes in AEW is a second class citizen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I’ve been thinking about this, and I’m troubled that such sentiment isn’t as loud or enthusiastically received when Cody is getting piled on. The disrespect is real. Cody Rhodes in AEW is a second class citizen.

I think it's very different with Cody. I don't think anybody believes Cody is a bad wrestler or completely write him off like so many do with Omega and the Bucks. It's more a frustration or disliking of how he presents himself and his seemingly tone deaf bullshit, but the more we hear and see the more likely he's been playing us. Even if that is the case, maybe people will not appreciate it and still dislike him and there are still flaws 4D chess and all. He was, as he likes to say, undeniable in that first year of AEW. He was the hottest babyface they had and praise was close to universal. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I think it's very different with Cody. I don't think anybody believes Cody is a bad wrestler or completely write him off like so many do with Omega and the Bucks. It's more a frustration or disliking of how he presents himself and his seemingly tone deaf bullshit, but the more we hear and see the more likely he's been playing us. Even if that is the case, maybe people will not appreciate it and still dislike him and there are still flaws 4D chess and all. He was, as he likes to say, undeniable in that first year of AEW. He was the hottest babyface they had and praise was close to universal. 

Apply any context you'd like, the rule some people have about how we shouldn't be too negative on wrestlers has not been applied equally. Cody will make liars of hypocrites of you all. ? 

I would also like to introduce you to the notion that what you erroneously perceived as "so many" other people writing off Omega and the Bucks is how other people receive your ilk's talk of Cody. I don't believe it's different at all. And I don't believe "first year" praise negates the current toxicity. Cody catches shit equal to the rest of them. Why he isn't defended the same is beyond me. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3