DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam Pt 2 - 9/24/2021

SirFozzie

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I don't think it's you, it's from one of the board updates as you used to be able.

I'll see if I can fix that when sober tomorrow. But for now.... 

I don't care about getting attention but I HAD to get Eddie's speech after the show. He's the fucking best so please click on the link and watch. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sign Paige Van Zant up tomorrow. 

Ive decided another long diatribe about why the young bucks are awful is just going to be unproductive. At this point, you either know they suck or you aren’t ready to be honest with yourself. It is remarkable what adam Cole has been able to achieve with that Paul Orndorff arm atrophy effecting him everywhere below his Adam’s apple. He looks like an nba jam player.

Dug just about everything else. Miro yeeting Fuego like that made me laugh for 15 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Oh man, that was fun.  Lost in all of that was how fucking good Jake Hagar looked.  That's why you have Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky around.  They need to get to the Dark Order being a matriarchy already.  Tay and Anna are the best thing about them.  The 8 man was fucking insane.  The six man was a hoot.  And then Miro.  BRAVO, AEW!

• Like 9

Ok, now more thoughts.

Rewatched the Main Event. I get that they put it over as a fight, but really, it was like 85-90% suzuki-gun, and not enough back and forth war. I'm pretty sure that this would have been better served to be one of those walking brawls like the Tupelo Concession Brawl. It actually hurt Mox and Kingston to take that much of a beatdown for that long, and only be saved by Homicide. (am I the only one who thinks HOmicide is going to turn on Kingston and we're going to get a war between the two?

Hobbs - Punk, other than the one hurricanrana botch after two attempts was prime level "Young heel hoss takes on wily veteran face"

The 8 man tag was.. rather insane. Always something happening, but it was.. disjointed. Same goes a lot for the 6-man tag.

Right now, I'm all for the women taking over the Dark Order.

Hardy is leveling up his Shitweaseling skill. Hair Vs Hair, Orange Cassidy vs.. Chuck Taylor. (and everyone's breath deflates)

Dynamite was a clearly better show

Considering we normally rag on dynamite's announcers, have to say that Taz and Starks were a net minus on this one. Their giggling over Miro stuff made it seem more of a stunt then a "OH MY GOD!" moment.

Rampage was still very good, mind you, but I have problems with this one that I didn't with Dynamite.

• Like 1

8-FB8-EA84-5590-4040-8-B28-C1-D00-A42763

This and Starks cheerleading Miro were my favourite moments of the night.

I’m also very happy CM Trunks is back, I think it would have added half a * to the Darby match because he looks much more like himself in the classic outfit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

From Jorge Masvidal's last fight against Kamaru Usman:

OIP.fKBX3HSEJ_jFkOZbYmLEXQHaEq?pid=ImgDe

Enjoy!

Wow, that took considerably less time than that "Soccer Mom vs MMA Figher" match I saw on  Reddit from something called "Tomato Can Fighting" or something, and that only took about as long as that whole clip did.

Punk vs Hobbs: My first look at Hobbs and he's a lot of fun to watch. Methodological. Wrestles to his size. Has presence. He's been at it for a decade so a lot of the stuff I was inclined to say (right people in his ear/want to see how he keeps developing/etc.) actually seems moot and borderline insulting so I won't say any of that. He stands out huge in AEW though. I thought Punk's early offense (the drop toehold/leglock, the russian leg sweep) looked great. The announcing situation was both fun and tricky here with two Team Taz guys and no counterpoint. I would have liked them indicating that Punk went for the G2S too early. I didn't love the Hook distraction as a transition as Hobbs could have done it himself. Later on he did get to just power out and I'm not sure if those two spots should have been switched or not. Punk's selling all through the end was really good. Even the stupid terrible elbow looked good.

Bunny vs Penelope: In general, I'm impressed with how many masters this served plotwise for a few minutes but too often they have the undercard women's matches feel like Nitro lucha matches that just last a few minutes. Anna's intensity was great for just a sprint though. This needed some actual heat on her and a comeback before the finish with all the distractions and what not though. Glad for the tag next week and hope this is going to a Brass Knucks on a pole blow off. I love how Memphis the idea of Hardy putting up other people's hair is.

Mox/Suzuki: While the duct taping was obviously unfair and dishonorable and what not, I would have liked something cheatier to set up the run in. But in the end who cares. Glad I wasn't spoiled for that one. Mox is the world's best Tommy Dreamer handcuffed to the cage. Kingston was awesome in the last minute or two of this. I thought the spot where Archer took out all the guys on the floor to set up the chokeslam worked primarily because I wasn't expecting how it'd turn out.

Skipped the rest.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2