DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I understand why they're doing it but boy, I'm glad that after tonight we can stop getting graphics of Brian Danielson in just a t-shirt and pants, it really looks silly with him standing there across from a dude all in full gear. ?

What if he wrestles in a plain white t-shirt and pants?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is going to be one of the most unique looking arenas for wrestling ever. At least in the US. The arena at the University of Champaign Urbana is up there as well.

How has no one else run Arthur Ashe until now?

6 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I understand why they're doing it but boy, I'm glad that after tonight we can stop getting graphics of Brian Danielson in just a t-shirt and pants, it really looks silly with him standing there across from a dude all in full gear. ?

Here's some topless Danielson to tide you over till tonight. You're welcome.

Spoiler

E_2iumaVQAINdrq?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Here's some topless Danielson to tide you over till tonight. You're welcome.

Hide contents

E_2iumaVQAINdrq?format=jpg&name=large

Mmmm that's the stuff... 

Jokes on all of us, he'll come out in a t-shirt and jeans again, take the shirt off and have a Ben Affleck level fullback tattoo...

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is going to be one of the most unique looking arenas for wrestling ever. At least in the US. The arena at the University of Champaign Urbana is up there as well.

How has no one else run Arthur Ashe until now?

I'd imagine it's because of how low brow people consider wrestling, so i can't imagine how a Tennis stadium would've viewed it. Tennis seems like a rich persons sport.

Let's be honest, TK and AEW are the absolute best people to put on a show there. Everything AEW does makes it feel HIGH class which is saying something in the business. I think this will only lead to more unique venues in the future.

• Like 4

Lots of interesting stuff here with a high percentage of matches where the winner isn't readily obvious. I'll give percentages here just for giggles.

CM Punk Interview - Probably time to move away from "I love you all" material and have Punk cut something on Team Taz that both has the CM Punk trademark bite without burying them too hard considering Hobbs and Stark really haven't gotten the push behind them at this point to make them invulnerable to calling them losers. Snarky but not smarty.

FTR vs Sting & Darby - Darby should be really good in selling for FTR if they want to do a traditional heat build with Sting coming in for the hot tag. I'd expect FTR to also be able to safely handle Sting so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he actually took a move or two. Moving from Spears to FTR makes it seem like the logical next step would be to start a Darby-MJF feud which would be fine with me.  I don't think they really need to sacrifice FTR to do that and could screw the babyfaces out here to continue the FTR rebuild. "Bigger Stars win" makes me call Sting and Darby 65% favorites.

Britt Baker vs. Ruby Soho - Baker is unlikely to drop the belt here in my opinion as she (like Miro) still feels fresh with the strap regardless of the amount of time they've actually had them. I don't think they should move Soho away from her yet so I would give her an out but AEW typically doesn't book that way. One of the problems with AEW's women division is that they've slowly built up some babyfaces (Soho, Rosa, Statlander, Anna, Tay) but they don't have good heels to work with outside of Baker as Bunny, Penelope and Rose don't have any rubs to give. I suspect the division is going to continue to revolve around Britt for a while. Baker 85%

MJF vs Pillman - AEW does have a habit of putting babyfaces over sometimes to end angles, but they also have a habit of beating Pillman to death over and over again. I'd be shocked if he went over especially considering they need to reheat MJF now that he's away from Jericho. MJF 98%

Cody vs Malakai - Conventional wisdom would be that Cody loves to come back from short breaks and beat his current rival. I'm thinking they might buck the trend this time though as Black has more upside than some of the people that Cody has done that to like QT Marshall. I want to think that Cody is bright enough that there is more money to be made from a longer feud with Black than to just blow through him in a routine manner. Although on the other hand... people are dumb. Black 55%

Kenny vs Danielson - Bringing Danielson in just to have him lose first match out seems really kind of silly. Also, AEW is really, really adverse to non definitive finishes so I'm guessing they won't bust out their first disqualification finish ever here. I want to say they'll just put over Bryan here but it seems odd to have Kenny dropping even two falls on television in the last few months. Bryan 70%

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'd imagine it's because of how low brow people consider wrestling, so i can't imagine how a Tennis stadium would've viewed it. Tennis seems like a rich persons sport.

I think the real reason is probably more prosaic: NYC has historically been a WWE town and the WWE runs MSG.  There hasn't been another promotion that could realistically fill a stadium that size besides WCW, who never ran NYC.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think the real reason is probably more prosaic: NYC has historically been a WWE town and the WWE runs MSG.  There hasn't been another promotion that could realistically fill a stadium that size besides WCW, who never ran NYC.

That absolutely would be another reason. Ring of Honor doesn't have that kind of support, so that would really only leave New Japan - which probably didn't even know Arthur Ashe exists.

I can't wait to see the arena filled to the brim tonight. It's going to be magical.

Let me ask this question though, now knowing everything. If you had a choice and could go to any of the three shows, which would you have gone to
-CM Punk's Rampage debut
-All Out
-AEW Dynamite: Grand Slam

Three QUALITY events in less than a month. God damn.

23 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

To the north of the border fans:
I haven't watched AEW on TSN before.  I don't see a listing for Dynamite on the TV guide.  Is tonight's show only accessible thru TSN online?

It's on TSN 2 (I have Rogers Cable in Toronto and it's on channel 517 for me)

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 1

Just now, HarryArchieGus said:

Is TSN2 online only?  It's not coming up on my bell TV guide.

I guess it depends on what TV package you have? You may have to go into the 500s or 600s? I'm not familiar with Bell, sorry.

But TSN 2 is definitely a TV channel...TSN 1-5 are all actual channels.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Missed opportunity. They needed a video of Santana and Ortiz on the 7 train cutting promos about taking the subway like real New Yorkers. Then follow up with Danielson talking about how it reduces the carbon footprint. Then have MJF taking the LIRR from Penn Station since he isn't a scumbag... only he forgot the train only stops at Ashe during the US Open, so he winds up at Main Street surrounded by Chinese.

• Haha 3