Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021


The Natural
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

What other venues are there in NYC? MSG and Barclays? It's amazing that that major a city has so few viable venues for wrestling. I would think AEW runs MSG at some point just for the prestige, despite it being a money pit. 

Main issue of with anything in NYC is the weather.  Anyplace outdoors, will give you the chance of rain on one hand, and then that any place becomes unusable between November and March because unless you are extremely lucky, it will just be too cold.  Hell, Mania ran in April and it was in the 50's and really uncomfortable.

But discounting that, as Pete said, Forest Hills Stadium is probably ideal if you're running an outdoors show.  10k+ capacity, recently renovated and ideal for this sort of show. The Brooklyn Cyclones' Stadium and the for-now, unused Staten Island baseball stadium would make nice 5-8k seat venues.   Aside from that, you have Yankee Stadium/Citi Field, both of which would be incredible, but extremely expensive.  

Central Park would be insane.  Yes, you can get - theoretically - a hundred thousand plus there.  But a) AEW isn't running anything that big yet,  b) it's going to have to be planned out a solid year or two in advance, and c) there would be so many restrictions it probably wouldn't be worth it. 

Indoors, MSG/Barclays are the two kings.  Radio City Music Hall can hold about 5000.  Carnegie Hall holds around 3000.  There's a new small performing arts center in Hudson Yards.  And completely thinking outside the box, there's the Metropolitan Opera House (which will never, EVER host pro wrestling).

Ashe Stadium is the only place here with a retractable roof, so they could theoretically run that at any point in the year. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On TV, the acoustics from Arthur Ashe are only second to the All State Arena. It sounded phenomenal. And it looked really fucking cool too. I would say to go back there as soon as they can. In the past Tony said he wanted to keep Revolution in Chicago, presumably because of the connection with C2E2, but it's clear they don't need the crutch from C2E2 anymore. Run Revolution from Arthur Ashe in Feb. if they can if pipe freezing won't be as much of an issue then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

On TV, the acoustics from Arthur Ashe are only second to the All State Arena. It sounded phenomenal. And it looked really fucking cool too. I would say to go back there as soon as they can. In the past Tony said he wanted to keep Revolution in Chicago, presumably because of the connection with C2E2, but it's clear they don't need the crutch from C2E2 anymore. Run Revolution from Arthur Ashe in Feb. if they can if pipe freezing won't be as much of an issue then.

They also don't have heating, so... nah, that's not going to happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

What is the Hammerstein Ballroom capacity? That place always had such a cool vibe for wrestling shows, though AEW is probably too big for it at this point.

I think they have shown that they need a bigger venue than Hammerstein. And would they want to deal with all the union bs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just looked it up and Basketball City is still around. I also saw ROH there in 2006.

I was at that show in 06 and the Steel Cage Warfare show in 05. That place was a deathtrap! The tight staircase to go up to the 3rd floor where the event was held. Only one entrance and exit. Thank god nobody was throwing fireballs at that venue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

What is the Hammerstein Ballroom capacity? That place always had such a cool vibe for wrestling shows, though AEW is probably too big for it at this point.

Hammerstein only holds 3500.  Basketball City is *maybe* 4000 if bleachers are installed., and it's a fucking nightmare to get in and out of.  AEW's way outgrown running Indy venues.  

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

But discounting that, as Pete said, Forest Hills Stadium is probably ideal if you're running an outdoors show.  10k+ capacity, recently renovated and ideal for this sort of show. The Brooklyn Cyclones' Stadium and the for-now, unused Staten Island baseball stadium would make nice 5-8k seat venues.   Aside from that, you have Yankee Stadium/Citi Field, both of which would be incredible, but extremely expensive.  

Central Park would be insane.  Yes, you can get - theoretically - a hundred thousand plus there.  But a) AEW isn't running anything that big yet,  b) it's going to have to be planned out a solid year or two in advance, and c) there would be so many restrictions it probably wouldn't be worth it. 

Indoors, MSG/Barclays are the two kings.  Radio City Music Hall can hold about 5000.  Carnegie Hall holds around 3000.  There's a new small performing arts center in Hudson Yards.  And completely thinking outside the box, there's the Metropolitan Opera House (which will never, EVER host pro wrestling).

Ashe Stadium is the only place here with a retractable roof, so they could theoretically run that at any point in the year. 

Honestly, after Wednesday I feel like the window just closed on MILB stadiums for AEW. That's more for the ROHs of the world. 

Another idea: college football stadiums. Columbia (and I can't believe I beat Kelvin of all people to this idea) could work as they have subway and railroad access, plus low-key one of the most spectacular views in all of football.

DuPFThRWsAIMaS5.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know it wouldn't be in the near future, but I have a dream of AEW one day running Yankee Stadium. Citi Field would also be acceptable.

It's funny that Citi Field is mentioned as it's a relatively short walk from Arthur Ashe.  Of the two I would personally do the latter for the atmosphere and acoustics.  But as for other venues I would avoid Barclays and MSG to avoid the risk of them being seeing seen copying WWE.  If you're gonna do NY the more unique the venue the better.  As for Arthur Ashe it nearly did me in driving back home.  But if I'm able to go with others then I damn sure am getting a hotel next time.  Either way I would be thrilled with heading back there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Honestly, after Wednesday I feel like the window just closed on MILB stadiums for AEW. That's more for the ROHs of the world. 

Another idea: college football stadiums. Columbia (and I can't believe I beat Kelvin of all people to this idea) could work as they have subway and railroad access, plus low-key one of the most spectacular views in all of football.

DuPFThRWsAIMaS5.jpg

Because Columbia would never accept it.  I seem to recall the Giants/Jets kicking around the idea of playing there last year if MetLife Stadium was going to be shuttered, and CU told them to kick rocks.   

I'm guessing AEW wouldn't fare much better.  Plus parking in that area is atrocious and the only train that runs there is the 1.  (Or, I guess Metro-North to Marble Hill.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know what, fuck it.  If they're doing big shows anymore then one "smaller" show at Hammerstein would be great and treated as a special episode of Dynamite.  It would be seen to me as a nice love letter to indy venues (plus the ECW part of it) and there's plenty that they can do in that setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm thinking I would rank this as the seventh best Omega match I've seen, behind the four Okada matches, the Tana Dome match, and the Omega/Page vs Bucks match (which still gets my vote for best AEW match pretty easily.)

I've the same matches:

7. Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Dominion 2017. Yeah, I think I'm the only person who thinks it's the worst of the four Okada/Omega matches.

6. Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13. *****.

5. Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW G1 Climax 27. *****.

4. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. The Young Bucks. AEW Revolution 2020. *****.

3. Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite Grand Slam, 22nd September 2021. *****.

2. Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11. *****.

1. Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Dominion 2018. *****.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to @Craig H I Googled "Arthur Ashe Stadium winterized" and wow, the place seems like a real shithole.  No surprise they want AEW, or really anything that can make money in tennis' offseason, as often as they can get it.  It's built to essentially be an "outdoor venue."  The air circulation system doesn't even work if the roof is open, so tennis players are sweating their asses off and hate the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Redbull Arena in Harrison, NJ is an option. It's one train stop away from Newark and very easy to get to via Path train from New York City. It holds over 25,000. The only issue is it's built like a traditional football stadium so the roof doesn't fully close. Would be good for a spring/summer venue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...