DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

AEW pretty much always puts on a big match that could be a main event on first. 

The additional advantages of it going on first are that it meant less commercial breaks during it and there was no danger of guys missing there time cues (as sometimes happens in AEW) and Omega and Bryan having to condense their time limit draw match as could have happened if it was the main event.

Also, it wasn’t a title match and there was a title match on the card, so I personally like the title matches being the main event. 

A match of this caliber and a match this momentous, no they didn't. They didn't put on Omega vs. Moxley first. 

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

A match of this caliber and a match this momentous, no they didn't. They didn't put on Omega vs. Moxley first. 

Compare the finish of that match to the finish of Wednesday's match.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That was a title match and didn't go to a time limit draw.

------

I've seen Danielson/Bryan live twice, but both times in tag matches. Never been in the building for him having a great singles match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Believe it or not, this was apparently a REGULAR SPOT that Janela was doing at the time. He did it at a Beyond Wrestling show vs Matt Riddle, and I was standing right by that part of the ring (Beyond doesn't generally have guard rails or chairs, people can be right up to the apron). You could FEEL the impact of his body in your feet through the floor - it was DISGUSTING. Everybody in that immediate area looked just shell-shocked, even the regular camera operator for the company. 

Americanrana '17? Also had Santana & Ortix vs Lucha Bros, and a Chuck Taylor vs Swoggle TLC match?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That was a title match and didn't go to a time limit draw.

------

I've seen Danielson/Bryan live twice, but both times in tag matches. Never been in the building for him having a great singles match.

My birthday is 6th of March and my Little Sis’ bought tickets for me and Dad to go to WWE Live the next month. My first time at any wrestling show and Daniel Bryan was there making it even better! Daniel Bryan/Dolph Ziggler/Erick Rowan vs. Sheamus/Bray Wyatt/Bad News Barrett. I’ll always remember that day. Two days later Bryan had a tag team match on Smackdown Live with John Dena vs. Cesaro/Tyson Kidd and was pulled off the European Tour, it would be his last match as he had to retire. However Daniel Bryan was cleared to in-ring competition in March 2018. I attended one WWE Live event since then but it was RAW, November 2019 so no Daniel Bryan. It should have been Smackdown as every year it alternates. I was disappointed missing out on Daniel Bryan and I've never been to a Smackdown show.

Edited by The Natural

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Americanrana '17? Also had Santana & Ortix vs Lucha Bros, and a Chuck Taylor vs Swoggle TLC match?

Yup, great show! 

You can see my son and I in a bunch of shots - aka the tattooed guy with the little kid next to him ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

My birthday is 6th of March and my Little Sis’ bought tickets for me and Dad to go to WWE Live the next month. My first time at any wrestling show and Daniel Bryan was there making it even better! Daniel Bryan/Dolph Ziggler/Erick Rowan vs. Sheamus/Bray Wyatt/Bad News Barrett. I’ll always remember that day. Two days later Bryan had a tag team match on Smackdown Live with John Dena vs. Cesaro/Tyson Kidd and was pulled off the European Tour, it would be his last match as he had to retire. However Daniel Bryan was cleared to in-ring competition in March 2018. I attended one WWE Live event since then but it was RAW, November 2019 so no Daniel Bryan. It should have been Smackdown as every year it alternates. I was disappointed missing out on Daniel Bryan and I've never been to a Smackdown show.

I saw him and Delirious vs The Embassy (Shelly and Rave) at the Detroit Fairgrounds and Team Hell No vs Ziggler and Big E at Mania 29.

• Like 1

A few people I know have fun stories from the mid aughts of seeing Danielson wrestle in dives and hanging out with him in diners afterwards. The only time I’ve seen him work live was the 2015 Royal Rumble, so…yeah. The aftermath of him getting eliminated and the subsequent Rumble finish was almost worth it though. I’ve never had so much fun being in a near riot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I saw him and Delirious vs The Embassy (Shelly and Rave) at the Detroit Fairgrounds and Team Hell No vs Ziggler and Big E at Mania 29.

That WrestleMania XXIX tag was fun. You got to see CM Punk's last ever WrestleMania match vs. The Undertaker as Undertaker went 21-0. Living Colour performed Cult of Personality live and Undertaker had one of his greatest entrances ever with the dead reaching out to him. Those were played by NXT talent.

I know I am late to this but I finally got to watch Dynamite. I loved the main event so much. I really could see Ruby vs. Britt as something that lasts for years. The build to their first match was understandably rushed (Ruby’s debut and the need for big matches at such a big upcoming show) but they just clicked perfectly. Ruby is an awesome babyface. Britt is such an awesome conceited jerk. I could not like this more.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 6:31 AM, jaedmc said:

I figured between The Elite becoming bigger with Adam Page and more nWo-ish, Hangman is being setup to be the Sting when he comes back.

Diamond Dallas Page of AEW.

Anyway I love how MJF actually works heel, so few guys do it now a days. Actually works a heels move set. Cody kinda does it but he clearly doesn't realize it.

Also I feel that Omega's injuries have slowed him down but in the process made him work smarter and his matches have improved

• Like 2

- Punk has been much better in the ring than I anticipated. 

- Young Bucks/insert Elite member six-men are always a blast. A few years back them and British Strong Style six-men were consistently some of the most entertaining stuff in wrestling. Sadly, now, British Strong Style is I think retired or dead or something. Cole and Jungle Boy has a chance to be something and now I'm thinking of Gargano/Jungle Boy comparisons. 

- Page and Sky consider to be a bit of a black hole and the parade of ATT jobbers can get tossed but Masvidal IS a huge PPV draw so I get it. I hope Miro didn't see PVZ from the back and get confused, ya know?

- I think Anna said that was her 26th match. Obviously she has a long way to go but for that level of inexperience it is pretty remarkable where she is. She really needs to be farmed out and working more and if AEW can get a working relationship with Stardom I think it'd benefit women like Leyla and Jay and even Conti. At the very least they should start running more competitive women matches on the Youtube shows because these women doing short squashes on there is beneficial they all need a place to work long and try new things without fear of failure. 

- It is so very AEW in all its weird and glorious ways that a show headlined up and down this century by Hall of Famers and some of the biggest draws in wrestling over the last ten years that the very last match has a run-in by a guy who was such a huge part of the indies boon but really has had little national exposure aside from LAX. This is just a confidently booked promotion in a week where WWE has decided that Roman Reigns needs to be on TV 85 percent of the time to keep viewers. 

Edited by Hagan
expanded thoughts
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'd enjoy seeing Dave's scale hit eight or nine just to see what it'd do to people. In fact Dave should consider skipping eight altogether and just jump to like 8.75. 

200.gif

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

54 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's the Stamford Supermax to you, sir!

That reminds me, Callis sitting down at commentary and immediately just saying "who's the mark in the mask?" cracked me up. I get the feeling that Don still doing his ECW commentary schtick can wear thin at times but he's very good at playing that sort of douchebag heel manager. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hagan said:

That reminds me, Callis sitting down at commentary and immediately just saying "who's the mark in the mask?" cracked me up. I get the feeling that Don still doing his ECW commentary schtick can wear thin at times but he's very good at playing that sort of douchebag heel manager. 

He’s been real surprising in the role. I think it helps that he only came late in the pandemic, so when Kenny started working even more matches it was when crowds were starting to really come back. Heel schtick only works with fans to play off of, plus Kenny & Don really do have great comedic chemistry with one another. Not since Brain & Perfect have two goofs fit perfectly together as a weird quasi Father & Son combo.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, matwarz said:

So bang on cue, Cornette loves the opener and credits it all to Danielson. At this point these things just write themselves. 

Which, I mean... It's where he said it doesn't look like any other Omega match that I boggle. Both guys brought a lot to the table, but the idea that this looked like a Bryan Danielson match that Kenny was molded into is just absurd. 

• Like 1