DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

I'm assuming part of the reason Omega and Danielson want on first was to make sure they got the full thirty minutes.

Also, I'm perfectly good with the Women's World Championship going on last over a non-title match, personally.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

This is hard to believe, but Meltzer finally gave Bryan Danielson his first 5 star match.

About fucking time and long overdue. I've given Bryan Danielson 8 ***** matches. In chronological order:

• Bryan Danielson/Samoa Joe/Adam Peace/BJ Whitmer/Homicide vs. Chris Hero/Claudio Castagnoli/Necro Butcher/Eddie Kingston/Nate Webb. ROH Death Before Dishonor IV. My worldwide MOTY for 2006.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA. ROH Glory by Honor V: Night Two.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima. ROH Manhattan Mayhem II. My worldwide 2007 MOTY.
  • Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns. WWE TLC 2012.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. WWE SummerSlam 2013. My worldwide 2013 MOTY.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista. WWE WrestleMania XXX.
  • The New Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles. WWE TLC 2019.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. My current worldwide MOTY.
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

About fucking time and long overdue. I've given Bryan Danielson 8 ***** matches. In chronological order:

• Bryan Danielson/Samoa Joe/Adam Peace/BJ Whitmer/Homicide vs. Chris Hero/Claudio Castagnoli/Necro Butcher/Eddie Kingston/Nate Webb. ROH Death Before Dishonor IV. My worldwide MOTY for 2006.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima. ROH Manhattan Mayhem II. My worldwide 2007 MOTY.
  • Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns. WWE TLC 2012.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. My current worldwide MOTY.

Yeah I'm really shocked that none of his ROH stuff ever got five stars. I wasn't too high on his WWE run, but that Shield debut match did fuckin' slap.

We can all make fun of star ratings and stuff, but I think Bryan holds the Observer in high regard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Not with an inconclusive ending. Too much risk.

Facts.  There's no way you book that finish at the end of the card, especially if the point is for neither guy to eat a loss.  Ending the card with a draw on your first night at a new venue would not be good.

Ending it with a chorus of boos would be even worse, so serendipity that Rhodes vs. Black was not the main event.

13 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

What other venues are there in NYC? MSG and Barclays?

Is Basketball City still around?  ?  I saw Danielson/Joe vs KENTA/Marufuji there in 2006.

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Or making Chuck Taylor carry it to ringside because he's too blasé to put it around his waist or drape it over his shoulder.

OR Orange strolls out nonchalantly for his title defense with no belt, then, seconds later, Chuck comes frantically running out with the belt like a parent trying to catch their kid before they get on the bus without their bookbag.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

The things Darby Allin does.

That reminds me of the first (or one of the first) Joey Janela PWG appearance.  He did a MONSTEROUS front flip senton to the apron as his opponent got out of the way.  Just a GROSS thud, and then he slid off the apron to the floor.  Chuck, on commentary, said something like "don't even worry about counting him out because that man is DEAD!"

Edited by Technico Support

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

You can probably add one of the  Nigel matches here too, Unified seems to be the most popular but I always loved their match at the Driven PPV in 2007.

Probably wouldn't make my Top 30 Bryan Danielson matches, but Danielson probably has more great matches on tape than any other American wrestler not named Ric Flair. I would say it was in my Top 3 favourite Omega matches, though I've droned on enough about how much I don't care for his stuff across the Pacific.

EDIT - not a dig on the match, I thought it was great. Just that Danielson's resume is so deep

Edited by killsteve
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party, but obviously echoing the love on Danielson/Omega. I see folks talking about seeing Danielson vs LowKi at a bingo hall 20 years ago - pretty sure me and @Rev Raywere at that show (sup @olythegreat89?), but Paul Turner deserves some love as well. He's been doing this just as long, and you could see him with this giant goofy grin on his face as Danielson and Omega hammered away on each other towards the end. Love the match ending without the cliche of one guy about to be pinned, there it is, 1, 2, *DING*.

After people blanked on "babyface" Adam Cole coming out of the heel tunnel when he debuted at All Out, I wonder if they're foreshadowing something along those lines with Brandi using it.

I was trying to explain MJF's gimmick to Cindy, the notorious hater of all things wrestling, and suddenly it hit me: "He's an even bigger dick than The Miz."

She
fucking
DESPISES
The
Miz.

I assume it's a "Road Rules" thing. ?

15 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Does the Arthur Ashe stadium regularly hold non-tennis events? I can't even begin to imagine wrestling being held at Wimbledon centre court, the venue is only used for two weeks a year, and that's it. Now AEW have run there are WWE likely to run there as an alternative to the expensive MSG or will they avoid it simply because AEW did it first?

They hosted a WNBA game a few years ago and (I think) a League of Legends tournament. That's apparently it for non-tennis enterprises.

14 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

What other venues are there in NYC? MSG and Barclays? It's amazing that that major a city has so few viable venues for wrestling. I would think AEW runs MSG at some point just for the prestige, despite it being a money pit. 

MSG is probably too much of a money pit for them to run a profit at this stage in the game.

13 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I understand the real estate in New York is expensive but is there literally no 5000-10000 seat venues in the city? For college basketball or minor league Hockey or the like? Barclays is in Brooklyn, how about the Bronx? Or is there anywhere else in Queens other than Flushing Meadow?

Maybe AEW could run in Central Park? 

If they're brave enough to run an outdoors show, Forest Hills Stadium is right there. 13-14,000 capacity for concerts, near-identical sightlines to Ashe. I'd be saying this even if I wasn't a 5-minute walk away. *cough cough*

D9xHYXxWwAEHDbL.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Late to the party, but obviously echoing the love on Danielson/Omega. I see folks talking about seeing Danielson vs LowKi at a bingo hall 20 years ago - 

Jesus are you talking about the finals of the 2001 ECWA Super 8?  I was there.  

Holy shit, I am old.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, eikerir said:

You can probably add one of the  Nigel matches here too, Unified seems to be the most popular but I always loved their match at the Driven PPV in 2007.

I can't look past the headbutt spots when I first watched them and probably more since then for the effects on both wrestlers and the increased head trauma awareness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I can't look past the headbutt spots when I first watched them and probably more since then for the effects on both wrestlers and the increased head trauma awareness.

See, as a father and responsible adult I cringe at any heabutt spots like those or whatever the fuck Shibata was into.

But as a 20/21 year old back in 2006 and 2007 that intensity was so bad ass to me. I'll have to give them a re-watch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, eikerir said:

See, as a father and responsible adult I cringe at any heabutt spots like those or whatever the fuck Shibata was into.

But as a 20/21 year old back in 2006 and 2007 that intensity was so bad ass to me. I'll have to give them a re-watch.

I hate shoot headbutts. Not necessary. We're similar in age, I was 21 in 2006 and 22 in 2007. Fellow Brits as well!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Late to the party, but obviously echoing the love on Danielson/Omega. I see folks talking about seeing Danielson vs LowKi at a bingo hall 20 years ago - pretty sure me and @Rev Raywere at that show (sup @olythegreat89?)

It was a JAPW show in Bayonne, NJ back in 2002. Homicide wrestled Steve Corino in the main event. 13 year old me was probably most excited to see April Hunter lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm assuming part of the reason Omega and Danielson want on first was to make sure they got the full thirty minutes.

Also, I'm perfectly good with the Women's World Championship going on last over a non-title match, personally.

See, I thought they put it on first so it wouldn't telegraph the ending. If the match starts at 9:28 or 9:30 - you know damn well it's going the distance.

Fun fact about the Danielson/Omega match, I went back and timed it. Was exactly 30:00 on the button. I love how AEW doesn't "titan time" anything. 100% legit.

• Like 6

"According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, this was done to ensure the match could go on longer and not have any timing issues. It also allowed them to have fewer commercial breaks during the thirty minute match. Typically, they can get away with fewer commercial breaks at the start of the show than they can at the end."

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, eikerir said:

"According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, this was done to ensure the match could go on longer and not have any timing issues. It also allowed them to have fewer commercial breaks during the thirty minute match. Typically, they can get away with fewer commercial breaks at the start of the show than they can at the end."

I noticed the lack of commercials during the match (which was awesome but I knew we had more to come). 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Holy shit, I am old.

I was there too!  I am very YOUNG!  IN MY HEART!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Holy shit, I am old.

HA. We were there too, but not the show in question. This was a "submission rules" match or somesuch.

57 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

It was a JAPW show in Bayonne, NJ back in 2002. Homicide wrestled Steve Corino in the main event. 13 year old me was probably most excited to see April Hunter lol

That's the one!

Rampage spoiler:

Spoiler

Speaking of guys to feel happy for. I'll be dipped if that isn't the biggest crowd Homicide ever worked in front of.

• Like 3