DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

Did Britt Baker use the Avalanche Air Raid Crash on Ruby because it was the move that Thunder Rosa used to beat her (Britt herself) in the Lights Out match?

9 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

What other venues are there in NYC? MSG and Barclays? It's amazing that that major a city has so few viable venues for wrestling. I would think AEW runs MSG at some point just for the prestige, despite it being a money pit. 

Barclays is the cheaper option but either works.  i prefer Barclays and there's Shake Shack right there 

I understand the real estate in New York is expensive but is there literally no 5000-10000 seat venues in the city? For college basketball or minor league Hockey or the like? Barclays is in Brooklyn, how about the Bronx? Or is there anywhere else in Queens other than Flushing Meadow?

Maybe AEW could run in Central Park? 

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

Did Britt Baker use the Avalanche Air Raid Crash on Ruby because it was the move that Thunder Rosa used to beat her (Britt herself) in the Lights Out match?

Rosa used her finish (Fire Thunder Driver), so kind of like an inverted version here.

• Like 2

Dug the Cody discussion throughout the thread here. I was wondering last night when exactly the crowd turned on him so much, considering in the early Dynamite days he was consistently getting some of the strongest pops in the company (thinking of the Jericho build with the Undeniable promo, the cage match with Wardlow, etc). but now suddenly seems so much into '06 Cena reaction territory. Unless it's just this specific feud, I hope the cheers come back around for Cody eventually. 

• Like 1

Who knows? Cody did this perplexing dumb shit before when he teased heel while defending the TNT title every week and it took being smashed by Brodie Lee to get back into everyone's good graces.  I think it is too soon after Malakai Black's release for him to be a despised heel since we're all happy he's back on television and being used to his proper effect. 

Black is doing the heel things he needs to do to get over as a heel just shy of crippling Arn's kid or Big Shotty, but Cody's annoying meta just earns Cody more real heat.  That enormous cape for fuck's sake...

I think Cody should've taken more time off of television after that first head kick to really sell the concussion and allow Malakai Black to properly earn his heel stripes by punting as many people in the head as possible.  Who has Malakai really worked heel against in AEW other than Cody and members of the Nightmare Family? 

People would hate Black overnight if he put Punk on the shelf for a week or two, but they're being smart by using Punk to feud with organic talent.  Black needs to attack someone like Christian Cage or Danielson backstage before people really start booing him and maybe even that might not be enough.

Personally, I thought it was a bad idea to bring in Black to work heel to begin with so soon after the WWE's dirt move.   At that point in time, Black could kill a puppy in the center of the ring and not get booed.  The second bad idea was not letting him go by Tommy End when he got to AEW.  Still not sure what the story is there but I am sure someone here knows and will tell me.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

The disdain for Cody, online anyway since there were no fans to gauge crowd response, probably started when he won the TNT title back from Brodie Lee.

I think last night was the first, actual time he’s gotten that many boos during a match, pre-pandemic or in the lead-up to the match with Black.

Its like he took the worst qualities, presentation wise, from Triple H, and the super mega babyface schtick from Cena, but he’s not anywhere near as good of a wrestler as either of them are (my opinion) so it’s all just a very poorly presented package all the way around.

That said - I’ll watch his reality show because I like backstage stuff. I won’t care one bit about Cody or Brandi the parents or their every day lives or anything.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

The disdain for Cody, online anyway since there were no fans to gauge crowd response, probably started when he won the TNT title back from Brodie Lee.

But now we know that Brodie dropped the belt in October to go on medical leave for an "undisclosed injury" which was arguably the respiratory issue that eventually killed him three months later.  His health issues were none of anyone's business so we were kept blissfully unaware.  There was a legit reason to transition the title to someone else.

I think the mistake Cody made was booking himself to win the belt back when it could've easily have been Darby Allin or, God forbid, even Orange Cassidy.  I think people would've lost their shit for Orange's first title reign with the orange TNT title belt.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Pilman's not even been at it as long as Tay Conti, he's still got time to develop. You could argue with his appearance on the show at the expense of someone else but that's on the Booker Man. It was serviceable as a cool-down match and MJF's stuff with Julia added a little extra to it. I like his look and the fact he's not a PAC-like aerial prodigy doing the springboard gives some oomph to it and less the perfect high-diving contest vibe (speaking of, still waiting for the signature Punk 'I'm flying!' but maybe he'll be avoiding that with the age and miles). 

Like HHH said, it's marathon and AEW seems to have set their watermark solidly at 1.0-1.3m for now. I do wonder about Fite viewership - the subscription and even PPVs really are a steal on that platform for us foreigners, and anecdotally my British wrestling mates use Fite more than ITV4, I wonder how it looks elsewhere.

Okay, so I'm mostly caught up on the thread but figured to share some quick notes:

-It hit me why the crowds even in places like New York and Baltimore were so damn chill.  It feels like there's an unspoken truth that we all know what we're gonna get and this is one big-ass party.  You go with friends, have some expensive beers and have a damn good time.  I never saw anything like it on this big a scale and it still amazes me.  I am really hoping to get my wife on board for the hopefully next one.  Also, I didn't know where to go but went to the Latino district.  It's funny that even in a random Mexican place they still have really good pizza that smokes most places here.  Next time I'll have to go to Main Street and check out the Chinese area.  I heard there's some incredible stuff and I regret missing out.

-Note to self:  No matter how excited I am make sure to know what section I should be in.  I was in 335 and it wasn't until the bell rings for the opener that the rightful person pointed out my mistake.  So a quick race to 331 cost me the freakout and Kenny heeling.  No big deal and those were much better seats.

-All this talk about edibles really has me wanting one for a proper occasion.  I did smell plenty of smoke in the parking lot though.

-Punk's interview was great though Pillman/MJF at least up there was such a nothing match.  The fans tried but it was the pure definition of the cool down match.

-LOL, Cody.  If it's meta then good for him but I'm just glad Great Valu Evil Knevil didn't win.  But I think it was a pretty good match regardless where most things made sense.  Luckily we had the tag match with was fucking sublime.  You could tell FTR was ecstatic to be in there and I bet they had to settle it via rocks/papers/scissors to see who would take the deathlock.

-Loved the women's title match.  Gassed or not who cares, Ruby looked great and Britt killed it as always.  I do have to maniacally laugh though when my wife calls Britt every name in the book.  She loves everybody there to pieces yet something about Britt does that for her.  I don't get it but dig the emotional investment.

So with them setting up Rampage Acclaimed came out and Max demanded TK accept the rap battle challenge.  So he comes out and said that he had help from one Lil' Uzi Vert.  People were fucking delighted to see him though TK's rap was whatever.  Still a cool moment.  Then Taz and crew come out to motherfucking "War Machine" and cut a promo.  I know it's because it's non-TV but I can't begin to say how delighted I was to hear that.  And lastly the songs they played once all was done was "New York, New York", "Happy Trails" and Porky Pig saying his line.  What an odd combination of clips but sure why not.

And lastly I won't say what happened on Rampage but you guys are in for a super fun night.  I took a video after the show ended and can't wait to post it after the show airs.  Unless I end up getting ninja'd by somebody else then that's cool too.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 9

if anything, the one production problem AEW has had a few times is main events running shorter than expected. With the importance of this match I wouldn’t take any chances with that and putting it first made sure nothing went wrong.

Plus it gives the rub to the Womens match which was an actual World Title match getting the main event slot, I feel everyone’s a winner.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Putting Bryan-Omega anywhere on that card would not have presented unacceptable risk. It’s not the first time they’ve front-loaded a show and it wouldn’t have been the first time they’d done a TV time limit finish. First or last, cant go wrong. 

If anything I wish they were doing more of the latter. But it’s not a deal breaker. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1