DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

That's right. At the end of the day Jr is still a tag guy. He has time to grow and get better. MJF needed to get back some asshole shine after the Jericho stuff and this short program did the job.

If the Darby stuff is any indication, I don't think this is the end of Pillman's involvement. I could eventually see something like Stinger's Squadron 2.0 vs Pinnacle.

Oh my god, holy shit. What if they do that, Sting and Tully are both participants in a blood and guts match, and the faces win by doing a callback to Magnum vs Tully where a broken wooden chair gets used to gouge the shit out of Tully and make him surrender. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

If the Darby stuff is any indication, I don't think this is the end of Pillman's involvement. I could eventually see something like Stinger's Squadron 2.0 vs Pinnacle.

Oh my god, holy shit. What if they do that, Sting and Tully are both participants in a blood and guts match, and the faces win by doing a callback to Magnum vs Tully where a broken wooden chair gets used to gouge the shit out of Tully and make him surrender. 

I was hoping we'd get some MJF and Darby outta this. Time for The Pinnacle to get back together. 

Darby beating MJF would be a good time for the Wardlow turn too. 

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Yes, please! ??

3 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Yeah, for all the hype... It's really not that good of a rating. =/

I am sure he stole this from Thurston without crediting but I couldn't find it in Brandon's tweets on the rating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

In what fucking world is that not a good rating?

I think many, myself included, were thinking we'd get the company's biggest number last night and they also lost out to Raw. I can see why it's disappointing but that cable stat is pretty massive and the rating itself is great.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

It will be interesting to see how close to a million they get on Friday night.

Probably 800k. Maybe. Staying up until 12 and getting viewers to tune in from 10 to 12 on a Friday seems tough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Probably 800k. Maybe. Staying up until 12 and getting viewers to tune in from 10 to 12 on a Friday seems tough.

Yeah the timeslot is rough. I wonder how they are going to sequence the matches...will Punk bat leadoff like Kenny/BD did last night? Or main event, given that the show is taped and they can shuffle stuff around?

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Yeah the timeslot is rough. I wonder how they are going to sequence the matches...will Punk bat leadoff like Kenny/BD did last night? Or main event, given that the show is taped and they can shuffle stuff around?

Main event is Moxley/Eddie vs MiSu/Archer

• Like 2

Just rewatching Bryan-Omega now and a few things to comment:

- Commentary as on point from everyone. Excalibur was excellent as always, you can tell JR has huge respect for both guys and was clearly impressed and energetic about the match. Tony has also become really good at pointing small details during matches,at one point he mentioned how Bryan might have landed over his own elbow doing a move and almost on cue Bryan grabbed his arm, it made everything feel very connected, professional and like a well oiled machine.

- I hope they keep the Ramp-tron with no screens behind the stage, it still looks high tech but different than everyone else and I feel it could be the standard Dynamite look going forward.

- I’m always surprised at how deceptively strong Kenny is, he picked up Bryan straight from the floor for that buckle bomb WITH THE GREATEST OF EASE.

- I’m surprised at how invested the crowd were into Bryan’s classic stuff. Everyone was chanting “You’re about to get your fucking head kicked in”, “I’ve got till 5!” and popping huge to the Cattle Mutilation like they had seen all of those last week and not 12 years ago.

- The Regalplex is such a cool move.

- That power bomb catch/counter to the KNEE THAT BEAT JOHN CENUH was smooth af. Another sneaky show of strength by Kenny.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

Listen, right off the bat, I'm not saying AEW is some all-time great promotion or anything.  

I've been on this board for a very long time.  I was online (and possibly here) during the Monday Night Wars.  

I don't ever recall being on a forum and having people come home from a show and post things like "Just absolute pure fucking magic".

AEW is still young, and I don't want to get too into hyperbole (hyper-bowl!), but this promotion is special.  This is a really fun time to be a wrestling fan.

Edited by Log
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, eikerir said:

- I’m always surprised at how deceptively strong Kenny is, he picked up Bryan straight from the floor for that buckle bomb WITH THE GREATEST OF EASE.

It did not look like Danielson helped with that at all. Kenny just muscled him up with no effort. He's not as cut as when he won the IWGP title in 2018 but he's probably stronger.

Rewatched the match this morning and while I initially thought they may have leaned a bit much on the chops early on, it absolutely makes sense with those two for two reasons imo. One, Kenny knows he cannot hang with Danielson on the mat, so while he did little flourishes here and there early, he did not want to roll with Dragon. He also knows how slippery that sum'bitch is for applying holds as we saw with numerous counters, particularly for the dragon suplexes. So lowest risk was strikes. He thinks he can outstrike the smaller man but really his bread and butter is the knee and that's a late match move. He's added those jabs that look way better than the overhand punches he used to throw, but he's still not the striker Danielson is. So Danielson relies on the kicks and his striking versatility to match and win the strike battle. Two, this match was built on ego. Who is the best in the world? Since 2005, there has not been any purer of a test in wrestling than extended chop battles. While this didn't break down into Sasaki vs. Kobashi, its essence lives on. And while there is one more violent way of showing dominance, the headbutt exchange, I'm glad they didn't lean this way too heavily. Instead, they used some headbutts as desperation moves like when Kenny knew he had taken too long to get up for the top rope dragon suplex and he needed to soften Danielson up, or in the last 10 seconds when they were trying anything to be the last man standing when the bell rang. Fucking awesome stuff. Great match is even better on a second viewing. 

I agree that was the best the commentary team has performed in a big match. They knew how big of a match this was for the company and for these two and it showed.

So I've watched the match twice but I must've missed it both times. When does Dragon say "I've got 'till 5!" at Turner? Speaking of Turner, they must've been throwing in a lot of audibles because the ref was going back and forth communicating a lot. I know some of that is time but it looked like there were times Omega would tell him something and he'd relay it. Like early on when Omega pulls Turner into the corner opposite Danielson.

I think AEW is really just starting to hit its stride, despite having some great stretches throughout (that one stretch right up until the pandemic, early return of fans shows). I don't think it's hyperbowl (?) to say it's going to rival '96-'97 Nitro, 2014-2018 NJPW, '97 and '00-'01 WWF, early-to-mid '90s AJPW, mid '80s Mid South, early '90s WCW, etc. in terms of enjoyment. None of those promotions were perfect during those stretches by any means. I don't get why people often say "AEW is not perfect but..." Like no shit. No promotion has ever been perfect. AJPW wasn't sustainable with its escalation of violence and relied way too heavily on its pillars, NJPW books tags and juniors like dog shit and there are some annoying nuances with its style I don't love, WWF was super top heavy, Nitro was often a mess (wild, fun, and chaotic but not always), Mid South could be plotting at times but fire other. As I was saying in the star ratings thread, I don't think AEW has peaked in its ability to churn out classic matches like NJPW, but that's not what they're going for. They want to entertain, progress stories and characters, and keep giving you a reason to tune in, throwing in sporadic massive matches like yesterday. It's sustainable, two hour shows almost always fly by, and it often feels like the right mix of chaos and control. 

• Like 6

Does the Arthur Ashe stadium regularly hold non-tennis events? I can't even begin to imagine wrestling being held at Wimbledon centre court, the venue is only used for two weeks a year, and that's it. Now AEW have run there are WWE likely to run there as an alternative to the expensive MSG or will they avoid it simply because AEW did it first?

33 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Does the Arthur Ashe stadium regularly hold non-tennis events? I can't even begin to imagine wrestling being held at Wimbledon centre court, the venue is only used for two weeks a year, and that's it. Now AEW have run there are WWE likely to run there as an alternative to the expensive MSG or will they avoid it simply because AEW did it first?

I could be completely wrong but I do not think there has ever been anything else at Ashe except for maybe a few concerts. This version of Ashe is also relatively new since it now has the retractable roof.

I went to the US Open a few years ago and it is an awesome venue.

I doubt it becomes a regular venue for any promotion. Some of the people who posted in here said so already — it is pretty hard to get to by either mass transit or by car, with a far walk to the venue no matter what way you take.