DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That's the problem with keeping it status quo. There is no payoff possible, is there? It is just the Codyverse in stasis. What do you do with that long term? 

While I could speculate on a bunch of different ideas, the truth is we really have no idea. But with some other big upcoming payoffs being so telegraphed, I'm happy not knowing. The Codyverse really adds variety in that way. It perplexes and goes against how things are "supposed to" work and is interesting to behold because of that, while other artists offer less challenging comforts. ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It’s solid to me. The boss that acts like they’re the underdog that has to beat the odds is basically how the world’s real life heels behave. 

Definitely. Cody leaning into American jingoism and colours really ties it together. I don't know where it goes and that is okay. I just hope they know! It's going to be difficult to maintain the isolation and the reactions but it is perfectly poised right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

While I could speculate on a bunch of different ideas, the truth is we really have no idea. But with some other big upcoming payoffs being so telegraphed, I'm happy not knowing. The Codyverse really adds variety in that way. It perplexes and goes against how things are "supposed to" work and is interesting to behold because of that, while other artists offer less challenging comforts. ? 

Nice "subtle" dig ya dink! ?  but I agree. Cody is working us marks like we are not used to being worked and it is definitely not the same as Cena. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jiji said:

Nice "subtle" dig ya dink! ?  but I agree. Cody is working us marks like we are not used to being worked and it is definitely not the same as Cena. 

Exactly And what I love about this is Cody is exposing so many of us for liars.

Don't insult my intelligence. Don't spoon feed me. I love being worked.

He'll make fools of every last one of them. 

• Like 1

What a long and tiring day going to and from Queens.  4 hour trips each way and on top of that I got home at almost 5am.  I'm still exhausted and my car's brakes went on their last legs when pulling into my neighborhood.  But you know what?  It was all so fucking worth it.  So before attempting a nap and looking into brake repairs instead of touching on the whole show I'll just mention the Danielson/Omega match.

It took this match to realize why it didn't sink in that the former Daniel Bryan is now with AEW.  It's because while the moves are similar they might as well be two different people.  There is a chance he'll lighten up some but the way that Danielson went into his approach makes it feel like Daniel Bryan didn't exist.  I know that sounds weird but that's my take on it.  And because of that it felt almost like he stepped out of a time machine and had a match against arguably the best in the world.

And the end result?  Just absolute pure fucking magic.  It did a pretty admirable job capturing the excitement of the match on TV but live it was next level.  I didn't do one "Yes!" chant because I just had to hear how it all sounded.  The way it reverberated throughout the stadium was like a sharp punctuation that was shouted by every single person there.  It's hard to describe yet it's one of things I'll remember for the rest of my life.  Arthur Ashe Stadium is perfect for a wrestling venue and they were smart to put this first with the crowd at their hottest.  And as the finish was approaching I just couldn't help but start crying.  Sure, I'm a softie but taking everything in it was one of those things where everything just hit like a billion bucks.  Heck, even watching it on TV it's hard not to think back to last night and what that meant.

I have things to say about the rest of the night but I'm going to try this nap thing people tend to do.  All I know is I more than got my money's worth off this match alone and they didn't even get out of second gear.  Shit, thinking about the rematch has me excited already.  But for this match alone this is hands down the best night of wrestling I ever went to.  It's going to take quite a lot to eclipse but I sure hope they keep doing that.  Hopefully next time I go that happens so those with me can all take this in.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 18

The first time I saw Danielson live was at a small school gym at an ECCW show in the Vancouver suburbs. This was during his cape heel phase but about half the audience in attendance was there for him and we cheered and applauded as loud as we could. That same smile breaking through his "tough" exterior shone there as it did last night. Guy just loves pro wrestling and it's so pure. Love him to bits and it's still surreal for my two favourites to be locking up in front of 20k on national TV in a real alternative. Pro wrestling is great and a huge escape from the hell hole we are in. 

• Like 5

Last night was so fucking good.

So jealous of everyone who was there...the atmosphere must have been electric. 

Zero complaints....top to bottom that was mad fun. Even Cody lol.

Re: Hangman

Does he come back next week in Rochester for Brodie? Reunite the DO and challenge Kenny for one last match at Full Gear? And that post FG show being a "celebration" show in Hangman's backyard? 

I could be wrong....but I love how many logical ways they can go moving forward 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Was thinking about something. Kenny Omega is the first guy with zero current or prior WWE connection to sell out a stadium in the US since….?

Goldberg/Hogan had Hogan. I honestly have no idea the answer here.

21k is not a stadium to me - its a big arena for sure. The Old Charlotte Coliseum here when the Hornets started held 23K and the Hornets got that every night for a while. It was one big building and it could get really loud. Greensboro hold 18k too. 

But, sold out a large arena pre-WWE with zero WWE/WWF ties -in has to go back to WCW/JCP days - Something with Flair and Dusty, maybe even WarGames in Atlanta.  Starrcade too. 

24 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

What do have to say to get Brian Pillman Jr. stop smiling and showing zero aggression? It's so frustrating to watch... 

It’s incredibly frustrating, these past three weeks have really exposed him while my boy Griff is nowhere to be seen. He’s the real potential star of that team, lays into his shit a la Hangman and never gets too cute or stall unnecessarily.

Pillman is still too cringey and guys like Punk or Bryan should sit down with him for some serious coaching.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, killsteve said:

I don't love nor hate Omega, he has qualities I like and qualities I dislike, but AEW Omega is infinitely more watchable than New Japan Omega ever was. Almost feels like working for a televised US mainstream company has forced him to reign in some of his worst tendencies, or maybe those tendencies were always more a 'New Japan thing' that he leaned into with their house style, but whatever way you dice it he's been much more enjoyable in this run than ever before. Working guys like Christian and Bryan obviously helps, mind.

You kinda echoed a similar conversation I just had on Twitter, in that he is actually way more digestible when he dials it back a good bit, and stops acting like he's the smartest guy in the room working some ultra brilliant style.  It felt to me like he let Christian and Danielson steer the ship in their matches, and they benefited from that.

It felt a lot less like him just *doing things* and more like everything was earned and felt way more rewarding as a result.

At least the Pillman/MJF thing was short.  It was only like four total segments over two weeks?  I'm curious if that was the plan or if they realized they had a dud on their hands and wrapped it up quickly.

12 minutes ago, Infinit said:

The upside is that there is alot of talent on the roster who can coach him up in both character and in ring stuff.

Yeah I’m not hating on the Pillman stuff because it’s really only been a 3 week program and the guy is extremely young, hopefully he will only get better and better. I don’t mind these sort of of short spotlights for younger guys to see how they’ll do on the bigger stages from time to time.

• Like 1

I actually think Pillman Jr. has a lot of potential and that was the best he's looked. Sorry in advance for the JR-ism, but he's a little too bulky and that makes him look like he's moving a little slow. That's fine. Just don't try to wrestle like Flyin' Brian. Maybe adjust your style a little bit to be more of a shit kicker. Other than that, he's playing his role well, which is that of a rookie that is trying to follow in his father's footsteps. 

• Like 1