DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

If there is any ring rust, I feel you could get him going and protect him with an Omega / Cole vs. Page / Danielson match that naturally ends in a run-in DQ so that nobody eats a pinfall, but babyfaces standing tall / roll credits would still make Twitter melt down.

Edited by J.T.

5 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

When Hangman returns, it has to be in a hot market (preferably his hometown) and it has to be with a purpose. If those 2 things happen, it’ll be like he never left and he’ll be as over as he was before he left.

Yeah, pretty simple stuff I think. Have the Elite beating everyone down to end a show, cut to the back, Hangman, slaps Uno and Silver for them to get their shit together, unites Dark Order in doing so, glass shatters and Austin beats the hell out of the Alliance. United Dark Order drinks beer, off we go.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3

Just now, J.T. said:

That is also true.  The current DO schism may be the set-up for Page to take leadership as the kinder, gentler, new Exalted One.

Maybe setting up a battle for the soul of the Dark Order with some other weirdo that could be showing up soon.

I feel like Page has lot of options and he's in a good position to have a good story with someone that makes him a bigger part of the company no matter what. I think they believe in him and I think he's come through  just about every time they've gone to him. Honestly it's a testament to how good he's done with his stories that people are still wanting him to be the guy to dethrone Kenny and not Bryan Danielson - even after last night's match.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Maybe setting up a battle for the soul of the Dark Order with some other weirdo that could be showing up soon.

The litmus test of infighting DO matches seems to point to the fans wanting them to settle their differences peacefully and go back to being a babyface / tweener unit.  Evil Uno is doing his best to draw heat, but the fans refuse to hate the heelish faction.  Even Cabana is doing convincingly heelish things.

The proper thing would be to break the fans's hearts anyway and go though with the disintegration of DO, but I am not convinced that will happen.

All I know is that more people should be tapping out to Alan Angel's glorious Koji Clutch.  It is shamefully unprotected and his Wingsnapper would be a kickass set-up move for the sub finisher.  I want to send him some Io Shirai footage so that he'll start using the basement version of the Koji Clutch.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I feel like Page has lot of options and he's in a good position to have a good story with someone that makes him a bigger part of the company no matter what. I think they believe in him and I think he's come through  just about every time they've gone to him. Honestly it's a testament to how good he's done with his stories that people are still wanting him to be the guy to dethrone Kenny and not Bryan Danielson - even after last night's match.

I kinda want someone to dethrone Kenny, have Hangman beat that guy, then have to deal with Kenny as champ to feel like he's really champ and not a cheese champion.  Maybe have Kenny stuck doing something else for a while, so Hangman has to hold onto the title despite not feeling he deserves it.  Cheese champion who everyone knows is a cheese champion and goes after hard.

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Certainly was:

I'm entering Daniel Bryan in the Christopher Nowinski Memorial "Stop getting dropped on your head, you fucking concussion-prone moron" challenge. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm entering Daniel Bryan in the Christopher Nowinski Memorial "Stop getting dropped on your head, you fucking concussion-prone moron" challenge. 

I love Bryan Danielson but wince at some of the bumps he takes and moves used. The diving headbutt in particular with the damage done to Harley Race, Dynamite Kid, Chris Benoit and Bryan Danielson.

10 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I honestly don't think he knows any of that information.

Like I don't think he even knew WWE was just there, it was just a line that conveniently fit his act.

WWE is not professional wrestling, by their own admission. Punk was correct in his statement. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I get the point, but isn’t it pretty clear he’s not being dropped on his head there? I’ve always viewed Omegas Dragon Suplexes as clear “I’m using the quicker snap to them as a way to hide it’s just turning the move into a basic upper back bump” It’s a great move to make a conventionally rough move much safer, but I’m always surprised when people talk about how he’s dropping people on his heads when he’s not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I get the point, but isn’t it pretty clear he’s not being dropped on his head there? I’ve always viewed Omegas Dragon Suplexes as clear “I’m using the quicker snap to them as a way to hide it’s just turning the move into a basic upper back bump” It’s a great move to make a conventionally rough move much safer, but I’m always surprised when people talk about how he’s dropping people on his heads when he’s not.

I'm sure it is, but unless I'm seeing things, it very much looks like he hit head first on that particular bump.  BD just didn't tuck his head in fast enough and landed head first. 

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

That is also true.  The current DO schism may be the set-up for Page to take leadership as the kinder, gentler, new Exalted One.

I could see that but I really hope not. Since I think being the Sting of AEW would be a lot better for his long term prospects as a main eventer than taking over a group of lower mid carders.

7 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Yeah, this. I thought it was pretty clear Bryan took it on his back and shoulders. The quick camera cut avoids showing Kenny taking the brunt of it. That's basically how Kenny's snap dragon suplex typically hits, with Kenny taking most of it.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Too bad that Ruby is going by Soho and not Riott anymore, because this might be a good opportunity for Ruby to put together the Riott Squad 2.0 and get a couple of the languishing members of the AEW women's roster some ring time.  Soho's Soldiers?  Ruby's Rancid Raiders?  Hmm.

Maybe she could hook up with some catch as catch can women from Texas, and they could be called the Ruby Shooters. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I could picture Brie Bella calling her husband after the match to chew him out.  WTF ARE YOU DOING TAKING BUCKLE BOMBS, BRYAN~?  YOU HAVE NO FUCKING VERTEBRAE IN YOUR NECK~!!  AND DON'T FORGET TO GO BY THE STORE FOR MILK ON YOUR WAY HOME, GODDAMMIT~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

God damn, what a show, what a time to love PRO WRESTLING

Ever hear fans absolutely blow the roof off the place for an opening bell, and again for a lockup?  God damn

Fan sign: "Is this real life?"  Right there with you, man.

Are they keeping the LED ramp?  Because that shit was amazing.

MALACHI BLACK HAS SPEWED FORTH THE CORRUPTION FROM DEEP INSIDE!  Fucking Excalibur, man.  The best.

I've seen Rick Knox ref matches in community centers and VFWs.  So happy for him to be working in front of 20,000 people.

Danielson and Omega are two of the best in the world.  Holy fuck what a match.  Awesome booking at the end with minimal time calls and then the Bucks jumping in to take over the heat instead of the fans booing the draw.  Nice.

I'm not caring much anymore about whether Cody is playing 4D chess and working a gimmick of heel who swears he's a babyface, or if he's just a lunkhead who doesn't exactly get pro wrestling, but bringing not one but TWO seconds to the ring to face a lone opponent, and having those seconds interfere, is a heel move.  ? If Cody is truly following the Cena path and staying a face forever, then he's definitely on that path with regard to being bood out of the building.

Was it Deadlock who was making fun of Arn's Waffle House Menu, like Arn was showing it to Cody and all it said was, "watch out for that kick?"

You know Brandi thought jumping in the ring, hitting Black's pose, and flipping him off was going to get a babyface pop.

Poor Arn eating shit on that walk around the posts.  You could tell that was going to go bad when he was trying to do it.

I didn't dig Black going back to the 4" inseam gym shorts look.  But dude was raised in a Dutch cult, maybe he's not exactly up on haberdashery.

I was there when Sting won the NWA title!  I'd love to go back in time and tell 14ish year old me that 47 year old me would be still watching him wrestle on TV.

"Reba's on the apron!  What is she doing?"  "GETTING KICKED IN THE HEAD!"

CATTLE MUTILATION!

Loved Punk saying something about this being the first time NYC had PRO WRESTLING in years.

Watching MJF/Pillman, I just said to myself, "this is pro wrestling and it's so simple and easy and great"

Announcers saying they'll do a quick ad "before to we bury MJF some more" was amazing

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 11