DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

I mean, one of the things that why AEW works, is they don't go out and try to hit a homerun every segment, in a "This changes AEW 4EVER!" kind of way. They slow build some things, like Page, and Cody's turn, etcetera, because they have so much other.. well.. (waves hand at everything going on in AEW), that it just wouldn't have the same impact that it can have.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

LoC’s (Levels of Cody):

Level 1: Cody is a good guy.

Level 2: Cody is a good guy who’s so obnoxious at being a good guy that he’s actually a bad guy.

Level 3: Cody is a good guy and is so obnoxious as a good guy, that you come back around and appreciate his desire to so badly be a good guy even though he has no idea how to actually be one

Level 4: Cody is a good guy, is incredibly obnoxious as a good guy, and then realizes that fans interpret this as Level 2 Cody and not his earnest Level 3 Cody, thus actually now trending toward being a bad guy. <— WE ARE HERE 

This is the best dissection of Cody Rhodes. Everyone should print it out on a 3x5 index card and reference it for future matches and promos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

This is the best dissection of Cody Rhodes. Everyone should print it out on a 3x5 index card and reference it for future matches and promos. 

In the 2000's we would have called it the Cena Scale on a 1-3, but never 4.

It's the Muta Scale of the 2020's.

• Haha 2

Danielson still the GOAT. Really glad he didn’t take that top rope dragon on the neck. Kenny was fucking great as well and really played up to the moment. Loved that match. I also really liked how they were just throwing bombs at the end instead of some weird saved by the bell finish. Draw had to happen. Give me 2/3 falls. 

I watched it with a lapsed wrestling fan friend of mine who was a big Danielson guy back in the ROH days and he was super impressed with Omega. Really great showcase for the champ. 

Great show overall and soooo happy they didn’t put Rhodes over. My 2nd favorite match on the show. Loved that finish and I really liked how Arn and Cody spun Arn’s slip into the story. 

• Like 9

I think it's less crazy that Sting submitted FTR, and more crazy that Darby Allin just wrestled CM Punk and is still watching Sting win tag matches.

14 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

In the 2000's we would have called it the Cena Scale on a 1-3, but never 4.

Cena was only ever a level 2 for me.

Two Commentary Notes:

I would usually defend JR, but this is like third show I've watched where he's metatextually gushed about how good a storyteller a wrestler is in an illusion breaking way. It's driving me nuts. I know they're telling me a story, I want you to pretend like they're not.

I LOVE Excalibur and Tony explaining that Daniel Bryan can kick out of a Top rope Dragon Suplex because his momentum carried him to his chest. I've never liked it when people act like a top rope move is like the regular version just more extreme. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

I know I'm gushing about this card, but also, I have nothing but good things to say about the announcing. They added to the match, didn't distract from the stories being told while pumping everyone up. I love that even the face announcers appreciate good wrestling from heels (you can almost hear the fact that praising MJF causes Tony S physical pain).. They pointed out useful things (like Rebel and Hayter willing to sacrifice themselves if Soho wanted to suplex Baker to the outside)

Agreed on the commentary, they're meshing more and more, and the pacing of the matches tonight worked in JR's favour. Although he does need to check a thesaurus to find an alternative term to 'strange enigma' to describe an 'alternative' wrestler.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jrag said:

I smirked at Punk’s dig about wrestling finally returning to NY when WWE ran the Garden a few weeks ago.

Heck, I also feel sorry for ROH and New Japan. Two years ain't that long. And when was that New York BFG? I want to talk timelines with Punk lol. Has New York really been without wrestling all that long? 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Heck, I also feel sorry for ROH and New Japan. Two years ain't that long. And when was that New York BFG? I want to talk timelines with Punk lol. Has New York really been without wrestling all that long? 

I honestly don't think he knows any of that information.

Like I don't think he even knew WWE was just there, it was just a line that conveniently fit his act.

• Haha 1

God damn it, I love this company. Omega and Danielson are my favourite active wrestlers and I think they're the two best since the '90s. This was NJPW Omega and a true return of the American Dragon. They gave us so much, where I feel pretty confident in saying that was the best singles match in company history, yet at the same time it struck me as a sneak peek of what is to come. I need an hour match on a named TV show before Hangman beats Omega. They could go 2 out of 3, iron man, no time limit. It doesn't matter. Two masters still in their prime (yet beat up, particularly Omega right now) that have fantastic chemistry. If I had one major complaint about AEW's generic style it's that it leans a bit indie/American for my likings. If we get more matches with this intensity, or that of Miro/Darby, that's the sweet spot imo. If you're only working 2-4 times a month you can afford to go a li'l harder. I don't want NJPW in America but I'd love if they skewed towards this intensity more regularly. 

Cody is the most extra wrestler on the planet and Levels of Cody is the perfect breakdown for it. Thanks for that. I couldn't fucking believe Brandi no sold Black, but I guess I should know better. At least Black won. Cody should never beat him. Black has the look, presence, entrance, he's a great talker, and unique in the ring. He's going to be as big of a star as they want him to be. Can't wait for Black vs Danielson and Punk. 

Surprised Stanger won. I blame FTR's sartorial decision. You trying to throw the man off his game by wearing the colours of a faction whose asses he kicked for two years? 

Main event was good fun but a bit disjointed. Not sure if Ruby gassed but I can't imagine the nerves and how draining that must be. Adrenaline (in my soul) is a motherfucker.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I honestly don't think he knows any of that information.

Like I don't think he even knew WWE was just there, it was just a line that conveniently fit his act.

Oh, he fuckin’ knows wwe was just there.

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Really enjoyed Danielson v Omega, maybe my favourite AEW match so far. Cody v Black was very good and agree that it was the right result. As mentioned, I thought it was clever how they used Arn's slip to show friction. Felt like FTR looked weak against Sting and was surprised at the finish. 

Cody is a great pro wrestler and he's going to harness the fact he's incredibly frustrating in a good way I think. I'm excited to see where this goes. Hopefully Cody standing tall, triumphant, and showered in boos, lol. 

• Haha 1