DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam - 9/22/2021

The Natural

Just one more thing on Omega. People can like what they like and people can certainly not be into the modern style but TONIGHT he was arguably as good or better than a guy that is universally considered an all time great and they beat the ever-loving shit out of each other in a way that you rarely see in mainstream American wrestling.

Omega was just other-worldly and to not acknowledge that strikes me as someone in ‘89’ talking about how great Steamboat is while maintaining Flair couldn’t work. To be fair, I imagine Bret Hart would make that argument but nevertheless.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

what a night. Amazing show. Omega/Bryan lived up to the hype. Wasn't bothered by the draw outcome being obvious, mumbled time acknowledgments that we never hear otherwise, or that being why it opened as it was just an awesome match to watch. The snap dragon on the ramp looked killer, as did Bryan's reverse rana counter of the one winged angel. Smart logical booking to lead to a rematch.

Cody getting very Cena-like reactions nowadays. Figured there was no way he was winning here, but the Arn involvement spots are almost always awkward. Sting looked great, loved the big top rope cross body! Finish was awesome with Darby's coffin drop cutoff. 

Loved that Ruby/Britt got to main event. Another where the outcome wasn't in doubt but the match was great and just real cool to see. Even still I was rooting for Ruby to somehow pull off the upset, lots of nice spots throughout. Big fan of Ruby, her getting to main event a show of this level is excellent and Britt continues to deliver more and more in the big matches.

Great show, great crowd, can't wait for more! 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

Just one more thing on Omega. People can like what they like and people can certainly not be into the modern style but TONIGHT he was arguably as good or better than a guy that is universally considered an all time great and they beat the ever-loving shit out of each other in a way that you rarely see in mainstream American wrestling.

Omega was just other-worldly and to not acknowledge that strikes me as someone in ‘89’ talking about how great Steamboat is while maintaining Flair couldn’t work. To be fair, I imagine Bret Hart would make that argument but nevertheless.

Kenny was good. Certainly carried himself like he supposed to be there and then some. I thought there were certain moments late where he looked a little cartoony with selling. Like he was imagining birds circling around his head. That would've been fine early, but late when shit gets serious, I'd like for him to dial it in on the theatrics.

But for me he's one of those weird wrestlers where the reasons I enjoy him are sometimes the same reasons why I don't. So it's not like I really want him to change either.

• Like 4

Really goddamn great show. I'll have to rewatch it tomorrow as the family was caught up in some urgent care situation, our 3-year-old has pneumonia so that was fun... But yeah, definitely going to rewatch and I can't fucking wait till Rampage.

Also what up to the people who can't help but always mention who they don't like. Maybe shut the hell up and just talk about what you like, we get it, you don't like so and so, we don't need to fucking hear it anymore.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 5

LoC’s (Levels of Cody):

Level 1: Cody is a good guy.

Level 2: Cody is a good guy who’s so obnoxious at being a good guy that he’s actually a bad guy.

Level 3: Cody is a good guy and is so obnoxious as a good guy, that you come back around and appreciate his desire to so badly be a good guy even though he has no idea how to actually be one

Level 4: Cody is a good guy, is incredibly obnoxious as a good guy, and then realizes that fans interpret this as Level 2 Cody and not his earnest Level 3 Cody, thus actually now trending toward being a bad guy. <— WE ARE HERE 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

Yeah, I despise Kenny omega, but I thought he was pretty good tonight. Is he dealing with injuries? It looked like he was moving… gingerly? At times.

He's been wrestling through a couple injuries for about a year.  When he drops that belt (maybe to Hangman?)  he's likely gone for a while.. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Something that I just thought of.

When we heard the Young Bucks were one of the forces behind AEW,  I don't think anyone doubted we were going to see some amazing matches. But after they "blew their wad" in "indy dream matches", what would sustain AEW? Once you've seen every dream match, where do you go?

And they have had some indy dream matches. But the storytelling has been great as well. Not just "Who's the better man" matches, like Danielson-Omega, but results in matches that build MORE dream matches, new dreams. They're not sacrificing long-term booking in the name of short-term pops.

Honestly, when the Bucks and Cole superkicked Danielson after the match, I was thinking "This would be the spot to bring Hangman back".. but they can hold that off for a while longer, since you have the Jurassic Express and Christian Cage available. I think we're all worried that Hangman's storyline is getting forgotten, but I don't think it is. One of these times when Omega is in those "Deep, deep waters", and calls in his cronies, Page is going to stop them, and the place is going to become unglued.

I thought it was going to start an Omega face turn - Omega was a different Omega, closer to the New Japan Omega. Callis did not get involved which made it feel more special. so many places to go from here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Really goddamn great show. I'll have to rewatch it tomorrow as the family was caught up in some urgent care situation, our 3-year-old has pneumonia so that was fun... But yeah, definitely going to rewatch and I can't fucking wait till Rampage.

Also what up to the people who can't help but always measure who they don't like. Maybe shut the hell up and just talk about what you like, we get it, you don't like so and so, we don't need to fucking hear it anymore.

Best wishes and hope your 3-year-old gets well soon xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Also what up to the people who can't help but always mention who they don't like. Maybe shut the hell up and just talk about what you like, we get it, you don't like so and so, we don't need to fucking hear it anymore.

What fun would that be? Let us hate Cody, damnit! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

Yeah, I despise Kenny omega, but I thought he was pretty good tonight. Is he dealing with injuries? It looked like he was moving… gingerly? At times.

According to Meltzer, Omega’s banged up to shit and like working on a million injuries that either require time off and/or surgery but he’s gutting thru this run to get these huge money matches.

and just to clarify, not calling anyone out or being critical of anyone here. We all have watched a shit ton of wrestling and have informed opinions but the stiffness and work tonight was something both men haven’t brought in a long, long time. A very, very special match.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

What fun would that be? Let us hate Cody, damnit! 

I mean, you're not wrong but... ? I don't hate Cody even if he's seemingly tone deaf. Still brings it in the ring, and if he didn't I'd just pay no attention to most of his stuff. 

• Haha 1