DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 3

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Why didn’t they have someone back to try and swat the ball away?

Because they made that a penalty. It is now considered Goaltending

EDIT - HA! It is called the Morris Stroud rule. I had hoped it was and Google tells me that is the case

• Like 1

Btw - tell me if you sense a theme

Lions honored Calvin Johnson at halftime

Giants honored Eli Manning at halftime

Both teams are 0-3 and lost on last second FGs

Both team's owners were booed at halftime

• Like 2

The Lions were on the wrong end of Tom Dempsey's 63 yarder way back in the day too. 

so "New NFL Record for Longest Field Goal" isn't even a new way for the Lions to lose.

[that one was 19-17 too]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I am assuming the entire clip will end up online but apparently Gene Seratore was all "so the refs gave Baltimore a little extra time. Big Deal!" and the entire CBS crew but especially Boomer lost their minds

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am assuming the entire clip will end up online but apparently Gene Seratore was all "so the refs gave Baltimore a little extra time. Big Deal!" and the entire CBS crew but especially Boomer lost their minds

there has been a consistent pattern going back years and years of the refs being deliberately slow to call delay of game, almost as if by internal directive to give teams an extra grace second.  I've been Cranky Old Man On The Couch about it for most of that time.

I've never seen this much slack, though.  This was ridiculous and the entirely forseeable result of the above policy standing so long.

and of course once again it's the Lions.  Now that the Raiders have finally behaved a good little corporate citizen and abandoned Oakland, the Lions are the undisputed champion of Being Hated By The League

56 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

there has been a consistent pattern going back years and years of the refs being deliberately slow to call delay of game, almost as if by internal directive to give teams an extra grace second.  I've been Cranky Old Man On The Couch about it for most of that time.

I've never seen this much slack, though.  This was ridiculous and the entirely forseeable result of the above policy standing so long.

and of course once again it's the Lions.  Now that the Raiders have finally behaved a good little corporate citizen and abandoned Oakland, the Lions are the undisputed champion of Being Hated By The League

I'm never sure if I'm just overly sensitive/biased as a Lions fan, or if they really do get hit with a disproportionate number of strange and/or bad calls costing them games.

The all-time worst was that game against Green Bay where they called the Lions player that got facemasked for the penalty, and Rodgers then hit the hail Mary to win the game.

Referee Scott Novak explains the delay-of-game mechanics that applied in Ravens-Lions

After the game, referee Scott Novak explained the failure to call a delay-of-game foul to pool reporter Justin Rogers.

“As far as our mechanics, the back judge is looking at the play clock and if it were to hit zero, he sees the zero, and he then looks to see if the ball is being snapped,” Novak said. “If the ball is being snapped, we will let the play go. If it’s not moving, it’s delay of game. Those are the mechanics that we apply on that play.”

Those mechanics build in a second or two — or, as the case may be, 1.6 seconds — after the clock strikes zero.