DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Big Meaty Men Slapping Meat - 9/20/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Can't really say anything bad about that.  Bloodline vs. New Day was fun while it lasted and Roman vs. Big E vs. Lashley was pretty damn awesome.  One of the better triple threats they've done in some time and everyone came out of it looking good..  

i am liking a lot of WWE lately ever since AEW made their big acquisitions and MNF came back.  if this is what vince needs then great..   still,  3 hours is way too long. 

• Like 1

Good show overall. Normally I'd skip the Charlotte/Alexa segment but Charlotte almost acted as an audience surrogate calling Alexa's new gimmick nonsense.

Hey, Carillo and Garza are back and actually doing stuff. I'd love to see a longer match with Mansoor and Ali. They still seem up in the air about having Ali try and turn Mansoor heel leading to the inevitable feud or just having them both get along or what.

Women's tag titles match was too short.

Shayna/Nia was actually not bad while it lasted. Dug how Shayna choked her out. I only wish the the post match murder of Nia had Shayna embracing her evil side opposed to looking sad about it.

Garza/Carillo teaming up was nice. Kind of didn't want to see it because Garza feels so heelish while his cousin felt right as a face, but they go well together.

The Charlotte/Alexa segment was pretty decent.

New Day vs. Blood Line was good while it lasted.

The triple threat was good fun.

If only this show was an hour shorter. I didn't even necessarily dislike the stuff I didn't mention. Its just kind of unmemorable and drags the shows out.

Edited by Eivion

Did they announce the main event ahead of time?  Since Vince is fighting for his ratings life, I have no idea why you wouldn't announce a three-way with those three guys ahead of time.  I mean, someone might tune in to watch.  Is that not the point of the show?

Vince's idea of selling the show often bewilders me.

Edited by Eoae

The women's tag title match was too short, especially for a title match. Then again, we knew what the conclusion was going to be as soon as Nikki and Rhea came out and gave their "WE'RE DOIN' IT FOR THE KIDS" speech, because even WWE isn't gonna run a "fuck them kids" thing after something like that.

I don't think they would, anyway.

The main was a lot of fun. There just aren't enough true hoss fights anymore and that was a pretty darn good one.

Still think that after Alexa loses to Charlotte she needs to just show up at Raw the next night as normal Alexa and try to play the post-Fiend era off like that season of Dallas where Bobby Ewing was in a coma and that it was all fabricated.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Did they announce the main event ahead of time?  Since Vince is fighting for his ratings life, I have no idea why you wouldn't announce a three-way with those three guys ahead of time.  I mean, someone might tune in to watch.  Is that not the point of the show?

Vince's idea of selling the show often bewilders me.

They started off with the advertised New Day vs. Blood Line then had Bobby attack to build the main event. I assume it was done in hopes of getting bigger numbers at the beginning and end.

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

The main was a lot of fun. There just aren't enough true hoss fights anymore and that was a pretty darn good one.

If AEW cornering the US market on the more technical aspects of wrestling encourages WWE to lean fully into its basest nature of giant jacked guys (and gals!) tossing each other around, I’m for it — that was fun and it’s distinguishing from the competition, for sure.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

They started off with the advertised New Day vs. Blood Line then had Bobby attack to build the main event. I assume it was done in hopes of getting bigger numbers at the beginning and end.

Didn't work in my household.  I flipped back and forth between football and the early part of the show.  Caught the announcement of the main event, thought to myself that I liked all three guys, then..... flipped back to football and didn't think much about Raw the rest of the night.

That's probably not the reaction Vince was hoping for.

I'll probably enjoy the main, if/when I get around to it.  I like Big E and Roman and the Uso's are consistently the best thing about WWE TV.  Not as high on Lashley, but he's been punching above his weight with this current run.

Things I literally don’t give af about: The ratings. For RAW. For Smackdown.  For the Monday night wars. Now and forever. I just care whether or not something was entertaining to watch. 

That being said, this was a good show.  Roman is definitely at god mode and undoubtedly the biggest star in the company. It kinda sucks Big E couldn’t win any matches a week after he won the title, but count me in for more matches between big meaty men slapping meat. 

• Like 1

I watched a lot of this in between putting my kid to bed and watching Peyton and Eli roast each other while calling the football game on ESPN2. Parts were good. They seem to understand who they have in Big E. That's good. I thought the main event was super fun and kept E strong. 

A few things;

The show is too damn long. Way too damn long.

I feel bad for Alexa, what with being this month's contestant of "who can Charlotte cut off at the knees?" I have no idea why this company is so terrified of a women's division that she isn't the focal point of. Nia, Rhea, Nikki ASH and soon Alexa all get their momentum killed dead so Charlotte can continue to cut monotone promos and have the same exact match with everyone. Wonderful.

The problem with the Nia/Shayna angle is that at the end of the day, Shayna isn't charismatic enough to be the focal point of a division, and if you're not gonna use her that way, there's no sense in using her. It's gonna take a long time to rebuild that "aura," and that's if they even care to continue trying.

Eva Marie/Doudrop thing has more than run its course. It's probably time for Doudrop to move on to something else... and drop the stupid-ass name.

I like Angel Garza and HC. I really hope they commit to doing more with those guys. I think Angel Garza is the most underutilized talent they have, and could be a huge star for them if they let him. He's got a great look and his English is really good. Humberto Carrillo has a ton of upside too. With Zelina Vega's lack of direction on Smackdown, I'm not sure I wouldn't just stick her with them after the draft. 

It was time to get the women's tag titles off of Natalya and Tamina, but I guess we're just pretending Tegan & Shotzi don't exist anymore. Sad. 

I know this isn't necessarily a popular opinion, but Jeff Hardy looks "done" to me. Like, just very little mobility left. 

I enjoyed the Orton/Riddle interactions. Matt Riddle's MO seems to be "break Randy onscreen," and he gives it his all every single week.

All in all, I thought it's the best Raw they've done in a couple years. What I can't decide is if that's because it was actually a quality show or because its been dogshit for so long that "decent" starts to look "great."

Edited by just drew

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I enjoyed the Orton/Riddle interactions. Matt Riddle's MO seems to be "break Randy onscreen," and he gives it his all every single week.

All of this.  It seems that he gets Orton to have to hide his face weekly and I love seeing it.  It's probably the most I've enjoyed Orton, ever.

and whoever said Murder Lashley is the best Lashley wasn't wrong.  That opening 6 man/segment was so unbelievable fun.  I fell asleep before the main so I'll have to catch it after work.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Still think that after Alexa loses to Charlotte she needs to just show up at Raw the next night as normal Alexa and try to play the post-Fiend era off like that season of Dallas where Bobby Ewing was in a coma and that it was all fabricated.

Not only should she act like nothing happened herself, she should also completely no-sell Nikki’s gimmick change and/or Ripley’s presence on the team.

Alternately, insist she’s now trying to rescue her friend from whatever bizarre power has taken hold and made her think she’s a superhero. Just lean all in on projection while I die of ironic laughter

• Like 2