DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/18/2021

TimLivingston

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

"Get out of the ring 'nerd'!"

That was literally the only thing I have seen him do to get actual heel heat by acting like a jealous bully. But even that had a bit of him being cool since it was insider-y shoot stuff to touch on his relationship with Britt/placating to the AEW audience.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

That was literally the only thing I have seen him do to get actual heel heat by acting like a jealous bully. But even that had a bit of him being cool since it was insider-y shoot stuff to touch on his relationship with Britt/placating to the AEW audience.

Tony actually talked about that line.

“Adam got with me and said, ‘We need to address this on camera.’ I said, ‘Yea, we do.’ We talked through what we were going to say. He said, ‘I’m going to call you a nerd. Fans are going to pop because they know that I am really a nerd.’ He went out, and he told me to get out, but he didn’t say nerd. So I’m standing there, and he said , ‘Get out.’ I said, ‘Nerd (in a low voice).’ He then said, ‘Get out nerd’, so I reminded him to say nerd. We go to the back, and Tony (Khan) said, ‘You didn’t get out quick enough. If he’s threatening you, you need to get out quicker.’ I said, ‘There was a line that he was not hitting, so I was waiting for him to hit the line, nerd, so I had to tell him that.” I don’t know if it came across for me saying nerd first to him, but that’s how it went. In reality, he is one of the nicest, young men that I have met.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I hate this tag match. Unless I am missing some backstory about AEW tag rules, but both Butcher and Blade have been in the ring the whole time without the ref ever telling someone w else to get out of the ring. They could have a good match with some better internal logic. But without the ref telling people to get of the ring by five, why doesn’t the dude waiting for the hot tag just go into the ring to even the odds?

I'm enjoying the furthering of the Bunny/Penelope vs Tay/Anna storyline. 

I also liked the Ruby/Britt confrontation. I could do without the slut shaming aspect but I enjoyed the intensity and that the crowd were really into them. I would also be down for a title change but I know that's likely not happening. 

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I hate this tag match. Unless I am missing some backstory about AEW tag rules, but both Butcher and Blade have been in the ring the whole time without the ref ever telling someone w else to get out of the ring. They could have a good match with some better internal logic. But without the ref telling people to get of the ring by five, why doesn’t the dude waiting for the hot tag just go into the ring to even the odds?

It's a broader issue. I'd love to know the ratio of "Time spent with actual tag rules in play" vs "time spent with tag rules not in play" for Usos matches over the last ten years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

Also, we know he worships the ground HBK walks on. He, Chuck Taylor, and that group are all on the record as big Michaels guys. What makes you think he's going to drop the HBK routine and lessons learned from his idol should he do the unthinkable and walk away from working with him? 

I saw almost all of Cole's NXT career as Michaels-esque excess and didn't like him at all. But I loved his match with Kazarian. Proof of concept?

But then, to me, Gargano was way worse in EVOLVE than he was in NXT. Tons of finisher spam and everyone kicking out of everyone's big moves. I thought NXT actually calmed him down and made him much better (if you ignore the aforementioned matches with Cole). So I guess ultimately, it's hard to tell how Gargano would wrestle in AEW.

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Stop trying to name second generation NXT 2.0 guys. This is the Rampage thread.

EOvIhNLX0AEdrsL.jpg

Shit, I just realized then didn't play Kaze Nare. Unforgivable.

• Haha 2

Johnny Gargano in the indies was literally the guy Vince and his ilk imagined when they sneer about "the indies." Other than perhaps Eddie Edwards, there isn't anyone that better encapsulated the 2000s indy stereotype. That's not to say he was bad, he was just the epitome of a certain look and style, and your opinion of him will be entirely dependent on if you like that style. I remember seeing him and McIntyre have a killer match on WM 31 weekend in San Jose. I don't think his NXT work was substantially different than his indy work, up until The Way obviously. It really feels like he's gotten to do all the epics he wanted, and is embracing his new role in and out of the ring.

Oh, and Rampage was good again. They really need to move it to its own taping with Dark/Elevation etc as the extra filler for the live crowd. The content is good, but you can feel the crowd is drained in parts. I liked Ricky Starks on commentary. Using the 4th announcer spot to give guys like him that don't have a big angle at the moment some exposure is a good use of it.

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I liked Ricky Starks on commentary. Using the 4th announcer spot to give guys like him that don't have a big angle at the moment some exposure is a good use of it.

i agree with the 2nd part of your quoted post. as for the first, i feel like Starks got drowned out basically the entire time. what i did hear was good, but Jericho's still finding his balance and continues to talk over everyone. i really hope he can dial it back going forward.

• Like 1

Loved the Ruby/Britt promo. They were bringing the fire. Ruby always shined in the few chances she got to really talk in the past, so this was great to see. Money segment. Definitely increased the interest in the match. I feel like this could be an excellent longer term feud. I love Ruby's whole entrance. Great finish in the tag titles match. Miro/Fuego II was a solid, logical way to transition in to Miro/Guevara which should be a blast. Looking forward to next week's super stacked lineups. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I like my tag matches like I like my soccer. With rules I don’t really understand but others do and try to casually explain them to me and I don’t want to seem less cultured so I pretend I’m really into it. GO JUVENTUS 

• Haha 6

On 9/18/2021 at 7:36 AM, AxB said:

I think having the entire heel control segment take place during the PinP must be hurting the tag match, because I watched it on Fite and thought the match as a whole was really good.

Very much agree.  I've often found my enjoyment of AEW TV matches and shows uptick greatly with the FITE version.  Such better flow.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

Taking Mark Henry off commentary and just putting him on one backstage segment is a decision I can get behind moving forward.

Jericho compared Bunny to Baby Firefly again just as she was sent to the buckle.  Excalibur really missed an opportunity to mention something about Baby being put in a corner.

• Like 4

I only like Mark Henry on Rampage commentary for one reason and you really have to pay close attention to it. Mark has about zero awareness for when he should and shouldn't say something. Every time he has been on commentary, and again, you have to be paying attention, you will hear him react as a fan and like he doesn't know his headset is on. One of those times was when Punk came out the first time on Rampage. Everyone is quiet and all of a sudden out of nowhere you hear this "WOW!" that is just disconnected from everything else. There's other examples too, but that's the main one I can think of. It's just so innocent and it just makes me laugh. Other than that, I don't think he's quick enough for commentary and it's especially hard when you have three others talking over you, or when Jericho is there, the equivalent of something like 10 people talking over you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

YES!  I think it's a combination of not knowing when to talk, trying to find a place to get his shit in, and in general having a very slow cadence so all his stuff comes about 5-10 seconds late and it's wild.  Excalibur called some move by its actual name and then they moved on and then Henry sloooowly drawled out, "that's not what that's called!" as if he were reacting to a rib.  It was hilarious. 

• Like 3

Mark Henry would be best on Elevation or Dark where he can just shoot the shit with Taz or Eddie or Tony while occasionally talking about the match. 

Eddie better be in the running for commentator of the year in the Observer Awards. As much as Excalibur is probably the best PBP guy in the country, Eddie is just hands down the best commentator.

Or, my god, at some point when Punk just wants to kill some time and have some fun, please, PLEASE let Punk and Eddie do commentary again. Hell, maybe give Prazak a call and see if he wants to do a one off spot doing commentary with Punk and Eddie. The first comment would have to be, "Hey guys, this is weird being together again! We're not calling Necro Butcher vs Joe again, are we?"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

All of this talk about Henry on commentary and then Ricky Starks just casually drops it in an interview with WrestleTalk that Henry isn’t doing commentary anymore and he’s the replacement.

Whaaa? For real?