DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/18/2021

TimLivingston

Fuego will pin Miro in three or four years and the pop will be insane.

AEW is back to their old ways of running the same angle twice in the same show - Sammy + Ruby grabbing a heel's discarded title and posing with it. Knock it off. But Britt/Ruby felt like the most legit non-wrestling AEW women's segment I've seen in, like, ever.

Good on Jericho putting over The Butcher as the man he actually is - a very talented guitarist in a legitimately successful metal band. BB&B aren't as over as they should be and there's no reason not to provide Butcher with that extra level of depth, the Jungle Jack Perry route instead of the "Rex Steiner" method of burying anything that might generate more buzz. However, if we're gonna use Andy Williams' shoot name he might as well come out to a Drop D tuning, double kick drum cover of "Moon River".

I just plain ol' like Allie. I've always thought she has natural screen presence. Not a huge HFO guy but I think the ponytail shearing got the point across. Shades of X-Pac/Hayes.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

That tag title match was so disappointing that even a fantastic finish couldn't salvage it. 8 man tag has to be better than that. Not a great sign for the Lucha Brothers when their first defense is a stinker and the Bucks churned out great matches with ease for almost a year. 

Sammy and Miro is spicy. I like it. Commercial break took me out of the match but it was Miro so I enjoyed as much as I could. Those overhand rights in the corner, the swat counter, and kicks were immense. God has truly blessed this man. 

Mixed feelings about the Ruby and Britt back and forth. Don't love the shooty stuff and especially the sleeping with the guy in the back (we really ought not encourage neanderthals to chant that shit at women) but it was intense and built the match up nicely. Could've done it without the stupid comment. 

I was hoping the tag title match would come across better on tv. I didn't think it was as bad as I thought it was live. I think I was just burned out after Dynamite. 

I'm really looking forward to Britt/Ruby. I'd be ok with a title change here, but I highly doubt that happens. 

I can't wait for next week. 

That "fan" angle was abysmal and a complete waste of time. In fact, anything involving a "fan" is always atrocious(ok, maybe with the exception of the Earthquake debut. lol). Absolutely no one believed that was an actual fan, which garners no sympathy for the fan or Cassidy and minimal heat for Hardy/Evans and a complete dud of a segment. Not gonna win 'em all I guess.

• Like 4

There were a lot of great lines tonight. I think everyone was trying to keep up with Punk. 

Taz on the plant: "There's no way he has a wife."

Jericho on Britt: "IS IT A CRIIIME TO BE IN LUUUUV"

Miro: "I like my God up above, and my wife down low."

Plus the snarky snap about Adam Cole from Ruby before the Tony comment took it way too shooty when they'd already brought up Adam and WWE. Agreed, don't give the mutants something to chant, but hey it was funny. And the wrestling was perfectly fine, though the tag match was... ehhhhh. Butcher and Blade, cool as they look, just don't do it for me as a team, and I've been tired of Lucha Bros. 

• Like 3

I wondering why it's not Tay Conti versus Penelope Ford.  They need keep this Ruby Soho/Britt Baker deal going past next week.  I am all over Miro/Sammy Guevara.  And I guess the keys in the mouth means Fuego del Sol keeps his crappy car.

• Like 3

The idea that they're doing an Aja Kong vs a young Rookie progression angle with Miro and Fuego, and in a year or two Fuego will actually be able to beat him? That's a good lucha thing. 

I think having the entire heel control segment take place during the PinP must be hurting the tag match, because I watched it on Fite and thought the match as a whole was really good.

• Like 6

That was a very post produced episode of Rampage. Probably my least favorite episode of this series as a whole. But I did love the finish of the tag(Though I think they should’ve saved it for a bigger match), Soho/Baker, and Miro Vs. Fuego. Miro is currently on another level. I think he should be considered for a world title push next year, but… I have this sneaking suspicion that Punk is building to a “Summer of Punk” like heel turn with the belt eventually. So that might never happen. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

That was a really weirdly outlayed tag match. Everytime you thought B&B would get a heat segment, Lucha Bros just got to the offense again. 

Crowd was burned out.

I'm slowly making it through and I have to agree. I kind of liked the idea that whenever it obviously was the lucha bros speed, they had a clear advantage, but whenever B&B could slow things down and make it an actual tag match, they had an advantage, but there was way too much of that unconnected former and not nearly enough of the latter. They should have let the fans catch their breath and start to build to some big comebacks more with hope spots and cut offs, etc. I did think B&B leaned everything in a big way. I haven't seen Fenix since Lucha Underground really but his kicks all looked great here. Surprisingly so. Finish was very good as people noted. Though I like Penta taking his mask off less than other guys for some reason. Some guys wear a mask. He, like a LA Park, is a mask. My favorite bit there was Starks and Taz interacting about how they needed to steal that.

I caught Anna vs Bunny too, which felt like a 5 minute Nitro match to advance a feud, and not in a bad way. It didn't really have time to breathe so while the shine on the outside and shoulder targeting were both fairly sound (latter payed off by the queenslayer not working), everything moved a little too swiftly to resonate. Matt Hardy feels so disconnected from these guys (and B&B) but maybe it's because I see them without him on the web shows.

I am still entirely convinced that they need to bring in Gargano as his great hope singles ace. Their humor and attitude and look and style and way they've worked family into things just vibe so well. I am going to repeat this probably two dozen times between now and January, so get used to it.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

I'm not exactly sure why, but I found it screamingly hilarious that Ruby delivers her big "banging one of the boys in the back" line, they go to crowd reaction shots, and one of them is a guy in a Penta mask doing the Cero Miedo taunt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Normally I wouldn't like the whole "banging somebody in the back" stuff but Britt's been an asshole to Ruby since day one, taking shots at her. You set the tone, you may just get it back. 

Overall perfectly okay show that I think felt lacking from some of the real big ones they've had lately, and are building to. 

• Like 1

Britt/Ruby was a strong segment.  Loved the hug to 'nerd' Tony at the start knowing the shit he's going to eat for that.  Ruby seemed wooden/still scripted in her first brief backstage promo, but seemed to settle in nicely here.  Shooter comments are completely fine when they aren't about reminding us that 'wrestling is fake'.  Completely fine with this.  Britt's 'fired' dig was great.  Ruby's Cole comment could have gone wrong, but Jericho's 'is it a crime to be in love' and Britt's fantastic 'yeah, that's right' nods were the highlights of the show.  I also love Britt's 'yeah, that's right' looks and enthusiasm for Ruby's 'catchphrase' digs.  Subtle craftsmanship.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s perfectly happy where he is, and it’s clear from the tweets it makes Rippa, and Dolfan’s hearts melt. Why would you torture both fans by sending him over to AEW?

I thought everyone was already in agreement that he wasn’t re-signing and was jumping? Like Owens. 

I’m just saying if he has to jump, then that’s where he should land. With Matt Hardy.

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Owens/Steen does appear to be jumping. Gargano is up in the air. His recent tweets give off that he might stick around. 

I mean, if we have to put Owens with Matt Hardy instead that sounds way less annoying than the Mt. Rushmore revival thing. I’m not picky.

• Like 1

I've only seen a handful of Gargano matches, but what I've seen has been exceptional.  He'd obviously be a great addition.  The snobbery that leads to ppl groaning over him is as ridiculous as the trolling hate for Omega, the Bucks, etc. etc.  Go watch some Raw and find yourself a better reason to complain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2