DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

50 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The Tony/Britt/Cole deal kind of left me cold last week, but I can’t think of a funnier thing to hear in the middle of a wrestling match than a man in his mid 60s saying, “You can be friends with a girl!”

Hah, they just talked about this on AEW Unrestricted. So Britt kayfabed Tony in the back to rib him, but there was a specific cue for Tony to hear to leave the ring and he was only supposed to leave the ring once he heard it.

So that segment plays out and Tony isn't leaving the ring and then starts to leave the ring, but very slowly. Cole was way late with delivering the specific line. TK had told Tony once he got back there that he took way too long to leave the ring and then explained that they kayfabed him and Cole didn't deliver the line. 

The story is funnier than that description.

• Like 1

Other random things...

I love that Fuego's new car is some 2014 Ford Fusion from the looks of it and he's so fucking proud of that thing. I don't know why, but that killed me in that moment and it puts a smile on my face typing that out.

My problem with the Panama Sunrise is that Cole always looks like he's going in slow motion when hitting it. It just looks weird. That's in addition to the setup being a guy needs to be close to a corner and Cole needs to be on the second rope. The Final Shot and Ushigoroshi are way, way better finishers/moves. Plus, everyone does a Destroyer. To my knowledge, I don't think any of the men are busting out the Ushigoroshi with any sort of regularity. I'm pretty sure I saw it in a recent women's match, maybe Kris vs Britt? 

The Gunn Club video was actually pretty decent. 

Hobbs' clothes were fire. Dude looked like someone who got pulled out of a Final Fight or Streets of Rage game.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Other random things...

I love that Fuego's new car is some 2014 Ford Fusion from the looks of it and he's so fucking proud of that thing. I don't know why, but that killed me in that moment and it puts a smile on my face typing that out.

My problem with the Panama Sunrise is that Cole always looks like he's going in slow motion when hitting it. It just looks weird. That's in addition to the setup being a guy needs to be close to a corner and Cole needs to be on the second rope. The Final Shot and Ushigoroshi are way, way better finishers/moves. Plus, everyone does a Destroyer. To my knowledge, I don't think any of the men are busting out the Ushigoroshi with any sort of regularity. I'm pretty sure I saw it in a recent women's match, maybe Kris vs Britt? 

The Gunn Club video was actually pretty decent. 

Hobbs' clothes were fire. Dude looked like someone who got pulled out of a Final Fight or Streets of Rage game.

Someone pointed out the EZ pass was really visible too and I felt bad but I couldn't stop laughing after that, hahaha.

Easy to feel like NJ got short changed with how loaded Dynamite and Rampage are gonna be next week. Feel like Britt/Ruby or SuperKliq/Jurassic Express could have happened this week but (at least on Rampage) but this show was totally worth the 500 plus day wait (friend messaged me the exact number last night).  But even still we had

Adam Cole's in ring debut (I was at the NXT Brooklyn he debuted at too which was some nice symmetry)
Sting and Tully getting into it
2.0 Main eventing
A proper Suzuki Gun ass kicking to close the show
And a mostly fun Rampage that'll be discussed on Friday. 

Only thing was I don't know what was up with the audio but some of the in ring promos were a little hard to hear. It wasn't all night but sometimes a video package would come on and it would take a minute for the sound to come up so I'll be watching the show again later this afternoon. Totally not an audio issue but Jersey came correct letting MJF know how they felt and we barely heard any of what he had to say.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Having MJF do a heel promo in the ring, being cut off by Pillman who just brawls, and then cutting to an 'Earlier in the day' backstage sitdown with Pillman was a smart move. Like it was nice that he got to talk in front of the people in Cincy, but he's not really ready to be doing that regularly. He needs a catchphrase to lean on, or something.

Pillman had a line in there like (paraphrasing) "Don't be fooled by my nice clothes and how I clean up well, I'm still feral" I'm totally out of the loop if an obscene mullet and tiger print clothes are an example of "spruced up". Maybe in Cincinnati?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I only caught the last half of this because I have been attempting to assemble the "ALEX" model IKEA desk, which has resulted in four hilarious days of deities I do not worship choosing to punish me/wooden dowels snapping. 

I really loved what I saw. The Darby/Spears match was aces. The beatdown and wiping of the facepaint at the end was great. I only wish that Spears didn't do that in the match so they could sell it as the act of disrespect a little bit more. Just a nitpick.

But I could totally just see how that unfolded behind closed doors. I'm thinking Tully had a notepad and was trying to brainstorm ways he could humiliate Sting in ways that had not been done before (at least to my recollection.) Finally, he called JJ Dillon who immediately had the answer of "wipe off their facepaint." Like a true evil mastermind, he needed no time to even come up with what they should do, and Tully and The Pinnacle just took it from there. I'm thinking that maybe they told The Chairman to wipe Darby's facepaint off during the match in the highly unlikely, like less than 1%, chance they could not hoodwink Sting after the match. But the plot unfolded perfectly as planned, and Tully arrived to The Pinnacle's locker room to see a text message from JJ that only had a smiley face emoticon. 

The final brawl was a lot of fun, too. They did a good job of setting up the 2.0 vs. Mox/King match, and the end brawl to set up the next match was awesome. Fun explanation as to why Suzuki returned, and I loved that he waited for his theme music to play to really emphasize the point and it let his partner get Kingston from behind. Awesome that their battle was 50/50 -- differentiates itself from the attack on Sting/Darby just a few minutes before and ending during an unsettled battle in a rabid crowd was great. 

I caught the very end part of Team Taz beating up CM Punk. I didn't see the set-up, but I liked how Hobbs expressed himself here, screaming and directing traffic. The only time I saw him before was last week when he made just one facial expression the entire time. Glad to see he read my post. Fun beatdown. I wonder if they worked the table to break that way so they could just reassemble it quickly during the commercial. (NOTE: If that was the case, this was clearly not IKEA.)

Am I alone in not really having much interest in Danielson/Omega? A lot of that is because any of the BTE stuff I have watched has clearly not been for me, and I don't have any investment in Kenny Omega since I just started watching and Don Callis is just sorta there for me. But also a lot of it for me is that I got to see Danielson in the WWE for many years and we had The YES! Movement and then his awesome angry eco-warrior bit and the full circle ending with KofiMania. Since I don't have a lot of experience with Omega, and I haven't really liked what I have seen, this quick dream match thing isn't for me. 

But I'm really excited for the next few weeks -- at the very least, seeing a wrestling match at Arthur Ashe is some great Weird Wrestling. But I know the crowd is going to be really hot and there's a lot of really good stuff lined up. 

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to Danielson/Omega, but, man, it's hard to take Bryan seriously as a babyface.  I'm seen Total Divas.  Anyone who wants you to use a composting toilet in the Arizona heat is a heel through and through.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

One line from Bryan and they had a smart way of doing Omega vs Bryan without backing themselves into a corner. I do expect a draw though.

"Who's ready for story time with Adam Cole?" has already worn thin. Dude needs some new catchphrases.

Don't really get the fascination with Suzuki's entrance theme either

This was very much a go-home show for Grand Slam and you can't say they haven't set up another pair of big shows there

I could see Don Callis causing a disqualification of some kinds, which would further the tension between him and Omega. That'll be kind of a bummer for the live crowd but they will have two more hours to sit through afterwards, might help them conserve some energy.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Am I alone in not really having much interest in Danielson/Omega? A lot of that is because any of the BTE stuff I have watched has clearly not been for me, and I don't have any investment in Kenny Omega since I just started watching and Don Callis is just sorta there for me. But also a lot of it for me is that I got to see Danielson in the WWE for many years and we had The YES! Movement and then his awesome angry eco-warrior bit and the full circle ending with KofiMania. Since I don't have a lot of experience with Omega, and I haven't really liked what I have seen, this quick dream match thing isn't for me. 

It's easy to say "Well, go online and see his ROH stuff!"  (though if interested the appreciation thread Natural put up has some examples)  But if all you saw was WWE Daniel Bryan then I think you're in for a treat.  As for Omega well that's a bit harder to explain.  Right now he has the entourage thing going but I think there's good reason to believe this match and the aftermath will bring a different side.  Whether it's one that's easier to get into I guess we'll see.  Either way I hope in their "Road to" video next week they try and dive into that as much as legally possible.

As for Tully he had that look on his face that instantly took me back to the 80s.  He was so in his element and everything about that beatdown was a big ol' *chef's kiss*  I'm very excited for their match.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Haven't had time to read the whole thread and sorry if I'm repeating anyone, but do next week's shows look pretty decent? 

Daniel Bryan Vs. Omega is headlining Dynamite, and CM Punk Vs. Hobbs is headlining a 2 hour Rampage. You basically have two Clash’s next week. So it’s TV Special/PPV quality programming.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Haven't had time to read the whole thread and sorry if I'm repeating anyone, but do next week's shows look pretty decent? 

Pretty decent ?

Plus Mox/King vs Suzuki Gun and probably/hopefully something with Santana & Ortiz.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

But I could totally just see how that unfolded behind closed doors. I'm thinking Tully had a notepad and was trying to brainstorm ways he could humiliate Sting in ways that had not been done before (at least to my recollection.) Finally, he called JJ Dillon who immediately had the answer of "wipe off their facepaint."

I had a similar thought when watching this. Of course, we've all seen when one wrestler attempts to rip the mask off of a masked wrestler as a sign of disrespect, but I couldn't recall ever seeing anything similar done with facepaint before. I felt it was a good enough idea that I started getting curious about who came up with it. Like you, I almost felt like it would have to be one of the "old school" guys, Tully or maybe Sting himself. 

Speaking of facepaint, I like what Malakai Black's presentation/character is doing even if there has been the odd in-ring slip up. I haven't seen his every AEW appearance, but I dig how what initially just looked like a bruise on his face has seemingly been spreading in to something else. Nice touch. 

Not to resurrect everything from last week's thread, but it was amusing how Suzuki's theme was dealt with this week. They made damn sure to get through the whole thing but also made it a distraction tactic. Moments like that, it's easy to half-jokingly say to myself "it's not a question of if someone from AEW reads the board, it's how many people from AEW read it." I know it's only indicative of the types of wrestling fans that AEW draws, but it's pretty heartening to me that they've had Suzuki on a few shows across several different U.S. cities, and a significant percentage of the crowd seems to know the theme, when to do the chant, etc.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

For the homies @Nice Guy Eddieand @olythegreat89, roughly what portion of the crowd was booing Cody? Sounded like ~30/70 split on tv from what I could hear. This after coming out to "save" Rosario motherfucking Dawson. But Jersey seemed kinda ornery with a quick trigger finger on that kinda thing. I wonder how Kaz felt getting soundly booed in strike exchanges with Cole. Like I'm sure he gets it but what the hell is next for him after this failed elite hunter run? Doesn't seem like he's got much juice in terms of character choices moving forward and honestly he should be phased out. 

I was actually surprised at how loud the support for Cody was. I'll have to watch it to see how it came across on tv. 

I felt bad for Kazarian. He's supposed to be the face, but there was no way he was getting cheered over Adam Cole Bay-Bay. I like Kazarian, but I don't know where he goes from "The Elite Hunter who can't beat The Elite".

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Speaking of face paint. What happened to that rubbery face paint Sting, and Warrior used? Was it too dangerous to use, so they started using the smuggy one?

Grease paint comes of with a wipe, as seen on TV last night. The acrylic paint needs to be peeled off. So it's probably just for ease of use. 10 seconds in the showers the grease paint is off. Takes 5-10 minutes while looking in a mirror to peel off acrylic. And even still, you're bound to miss a few spots. Acrylic looks way better, but when your main goal is to get the hell out of an arena you can't beat the quickness of the grease paint.

21 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I had a similar thought when watching this. Of course, we've all seen when one wrestler attempts to rip the mask off of a masked wrestler as a sign of disrespect, but I couldn't recall ever seeing anything similar done with facepaint before.

I couldn't either.  I asked on Twitter and was told Kevin Sullivan did it to Renegade (I was not aware Renegade ever had any actual feuds) and Randy Orton did it to Jeff Hardy (this would have been when all I was watching of WWE was their ppvs, so I only remember the ear stuff. I assume it happened on tv).