DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Kazarian oughtta go farm a few wins on Dark and come back around, win or likely lose, for another great Wednesday night bout.    

His character is dead in the water. He just got booed over the heel he's supposed to be hunting and nobody for a second believed he was going to win. He's 44 and while he's not slowing down, even with this failed vengeance storyline, what does he bring as an on-screen character? They have so much talent that I find it hard to justify giving much tv time at all to Kazarian. He can beat the Nakazawas and Cutlers of the world for years and nobody will take him seriously. He shouldn't be beating anybody above that stature at this stage and I think most everybody is keen to that. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

His character is dead in the water. He just got booed over the heel he's supposed to be hunting and nobody for a second believed he was going to win. He's 44 and while he's not slowing down, even with this failed vengeance storyline, what does he bring as an on-screen character? They have so much talent that I find it hard to justify giving much tv time at all to Kazarian. He can beat the Nakazawas and Cutlers of the world for years and nobody will take him seriously. He shouldn't be beating anybody above that stature at this stage and I think most everybody is keen to that. 

As someone who was there I can tell you that almost any face who wrestled Cole last night would've been booed because they loved the guy.

Another thing is that they only had shirts for select guys (like 5 or 6 including Danielson, Punk and Cole) and everything shirt wise except a secondary "I Was There" event design had all been sold. From what I saw the Cole shirts were selling as brisk as the aforementioned duo.

Edit: Also Janella and Kiss had a match on Dark worth going out of your way to see.

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 3

Kaz and Spears have a little Great Value Randy Orton in them, in the sense that their peers absolutely love their work and consider them fantastic as everything in-ring is timed and executed at a high level, but the audience just doesn’t care.

Orton’s work is better and the crowd cares more, but they are on the lower end of that same spectrum IMO.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

You're talking about him like he suddenly needs to be a big star.  Kazarian isn't in AEW to headline shows.  He's a competitive enhancement talent.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  Especially when you bring as great a game as Kazarian does.  He did a terrific service to Adam Cole on his debut.  He did the same for Christian.  The guy is a consummate professional and the definition of a 'great hand'.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

He's a competitive enhancement talent. 

He’s 1992 Tito Santana. He’s shined up with a slightly new gimmick and in front of the right crowd could have a big moment or win and be credible, but he’s there to put over new heels.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, eikerir said:

I can’t imagine  how Hobbs must feel going from jobbing on Dark every week just  a year ago to wrestling Punk on his first TV match in 7 years. Believe in your dreams guys.

To be fair, he never really was a jobber. He lost that first match against OC and then immediately recovered and took off from there. I'm still disgruntled that we never got a reason why he joined Team Tazz.

• Like 2

The turn got delayed because he was supposed to be in a six-man with Moxley and Darby vs Brian Cage, Ricky Starks and Lance Archer. But that match didn't happen because someone got Covid and missed the taping, and by the time everyone was back the angle had advanced.

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

The turn got delayed because he was supposed to be in a six-man with Moxley and Darby vs Brian Cage, Ricky Starks and Lance Archer. But that match didn't happen because someone got Covid and missed the taping, and by the time everyone was back the angle had advanced.

Yeah, it was Archer. But did you think Hobbs' turn was going to happen regardless of the illness/postponing, or was it reactionary? I'm not so sure. Also, there's been plenty of time for both Hobbs and Tazz to come out and say why he joined, but they've just never addressed it.

my LOL of the night: Jade with a big pump kick or whatever, and JR says "that got her right between the headlights"

hmm, a 30 second video of Suzuki killing guys while Archer talks over it. as if somebody requested something of the sort.

i feel like AEW has grown by leaps and bounds, and i hope when Hangman returns he's able to pick up where he left off. 

great show tonight. needs more Thunder Rosa. next week is gonna be off the charts.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 7:54 PM, Zimbra said:

I really thought they were teasing a Christopher Daniels return in the opening match. 

Daniels has a couple matches booked for DEFY over the next month or so. Maybe he's getting ready to come back. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

To be fair, he never really was a jobber. He lost that first match against OC and then immediately recovered and took off from there. I'm still disgruntled that we never got a reason why he joined Team Tazz.

You’re  right, I just checked and it was about 2 months jobbing on Dark before he started picking up some wins. Seemed a lot longer, a lot of the pandemic era sort of blurs together in my mind so it’s difficult to judge how much time passed because every show looked the same.

Edited by eikerir

I’m really curious how they book Brian Pillman Jr. Vs. MJF. The way it’s booked right now is that if BPJ doesn’t beat MJF he’d disappoint his dad’s legacy. At least that’s the tone JR had in the interview.

If he loses, and doesn’t get revenge, I wonder if that will set him off. 

I like that FTR are billed from “Actual, North Carolina”.

I just noticed that Tully has a special set of steps for him to climb into the ring. I thought it was the old Nitro ring apron platform for a split second until I saw where Tully entered from.

I’m going to guess the reason a tag title match for Santana & Ortiz wasn’t announced was because TK doesn’t want  it to interfere with the build of Butcher & Blade’s title match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs