DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Grease paint comes of with a wipe, as seen on TV last night. The acrylic paint needs to be peeled off. So it's probably just for ease of use. 10 seconds in the showers the grease paint is off. Takes 5-10 minutes while looking in a mirror to peel off acrylic. And even still, you're bound to miss a few spots. Acrylic looks way better, but when your main goal is to get the hell out of an arena you can't beat the quickness of the grease paint.

That sucks because I really like the look of the acrylic paint when it peels off the face in a very heated match. The grease paint just looks like a hobo clown getting assaulted.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

Yeah, count me in for always thinking the latex looking paint rubbing off looked dope as fuck. It reminded me of how Spider-Man's mask would be in tatters after huge battles. Like when Sting or the Road Warriors had barely anything left on their face, you knew it was a good match. I didn't see a whole lot of Sting in TNA, but I at least think the grease paint started when Sting had his WWE run. 

As for the Elite, again, just like 2point0 finding money in being wrestling's Bulk and Skull, I fucking love that the Elite are wrestling's version of Ski School movie villains. Inject all of that shit into my veins.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Jimmy Hart did it to the Renegade after his match with Kevin Sullivan. 

It was not a feud, it was to write him out of the connection to Jimmy Hart, who was in the Dungeon of Doom now. 

It was also a means to make him a jobber and basically phase him down the card and onto syndicated shows. I'm pretty sure Orndorff squashed him on the Havoc 95 pre-show (The Main Event), and that was it for him essentially. 

Even though the guy wasn't good in the ring, it would made more sense just to repackage him especially with Hart referring to him as "Rick" when he did the stuff with the facepaint. That was very bizarre even by WCW 1995 standards.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It also a means to make him a jobber and basically phase him down the card. I'm pretty sure Orndorff squashed him on the Havoc 95 pre-show (The Main Event), and that was it for him essentially. 

Even though the guy wasn't good in the ring, it would made more sense just to repackage him especially with Hart referring to him as "Rick" when he did the stuff with the facepaint. That was very bizarre even by WCW 1995 standards.

He stayed with WCW till 98/99 though. Mostly in his team with Joe Gomez. 

4 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

He stayed with WCW till 98/99 though. Mostly in his team with Joe Gomez. 

Oh, I know that. I'm asking what was the purpose of Jimmy doing that and calling him by his real name only for him to still be the Renegade until the end of his run there. I think it was possible that they were thinking about dropping the character altogether and didn't do it because he was so bad in the ring. That begs the question of why he was there for another 3 plus years. 

30 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Because WCW. 

The highlight of his run post his aborted 95 push was during World War 3 1997 I believe, during the 3 ring battle royal, you can clearly see Renegade and Wrath talking in the corner trying to figure out the correct cue for both of them to get eliminated. "Is it now?" "...Nope not yet." And they just disengage and walk away from each other until they do the spot like 90 seconds later. It isn't clearly audible like Sid and Rick Steiner during WarGames at Wrestle War 91 but you can definitely tell what's happening. 

That's collecting free money right there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

For the homies @Nice Guy Eddieand @olythegreat89, roughly what portion of the crowd was booing Cody? Sounded like ~30/70 split on tv from what I could hear. This after coming out to "save" Rosario motherfucking Dawson. But Jersey seemed kinda ornery with a quick trigger finger on that kinda thing. I wonder how Kaz felt getting soundly booed in strike exchanges with Cole. Like I'm sure he gets it but what the hell is next for him after this failed elite hunter run? Doesn't seem like he's got much juice in terms of character choices moving forward and honestly he should be phased out. 

Cody got a pretty loud babyface pop from what I heard. I think coming through the crowd and brawling in the crowd added to the excitement and cheers. Had Cody come down the ramp to face Black, there probably would’ve been more boos.

• Like 2

You gotta figure Danielson/Omega will pop a pretty good rating, plus all the other stuff.

And while I think he's taking some time away from the board, I hope The Natural freaked the hell out when they announced Danielson's first AEW match.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

For the homies @Nice Guy Eddieand @olythegreat89, roughly what portion of the crowd was booing Cody? Sounded like ~30/70 split on tv from what I could hear. This after coming out to "save" Rosario motherfucking Dawson. But Jersey seemed kinda ornery with a quick trigger finger on that kinda thing. I wonder how Kaz felt getting soundly booed in strike exchanges with Cole. Like I'm sure he gets it but what the hell is next for him after this failed elite hunter run? Doesn't seem like he's got much juice in terms of character choices moving forward and honestly he should be phased out. 

Phase out your best jobber to the stars?  C'mon, you know as well as anybody that not every member of your roster is going to be moved up the card.  Frankie Kazarian and his Dark winning/ Dynamite losing ilk (see also the Butcher, the Blade, 2.0, Shawn Spears, Sydal, JD, Dante, Garcia, etc. etc.) are one of the reasons this show and company is so hot right now.  They have such a great roster on top as everyone knows, but the job squad in this company is fantastic too.  Kazarian oughtta go farm a few wins on Dark and come back around, win or likely lose, for another great Wednesday night bout.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Bit late to the party, my random thoughts of the show:

Fuck it, put Punk on commentary every week, he’s such a natural at it, make him and Excalibur the forever commentary team and let them grow old together.

“Florida Man goes for a ride!”

The Super Kliq will eventually be what the Elite was to the Bullet Club whenever Cole decides it’s time to kick Kenny out.

Pillman’s baby face act sucks big time, he manages to get one up on MJF and stands there with the chair playing to the crowd like an idiot. Same thing last week, MJF harassing his family and he just comes out and plays to the crowd at the top of the ramp instead of running and beating the shit out of him.

Some nice swagger from Jungle Jack, more of this little type of promos should help his confidence on the mic, baby steps.

Pretty impressive how Jericho and Lambert shout some much shit talk at full speed without stumbling even once.

That little video package for Andrade and his reaction to Chavo and the other guy has made him look pretty bad ass , I hope they continue with this no nonsense kingpin thing.

“I didn’t know they let trolls across the bridge”

I can’t imagine  how Hobbs must feel going from jobbing on Dark every week just  a year ago to wrestling Punk on his first TV match in 7 years. Believe in your dreams guys.

“The ice water enema, Don Callis”

Holy shit they really went all out for this Grand Slam week. 

“Throw the heater Ricky” lol was that JR?

Gracia and 2.0 have sneakily main evente tons of shows in the past couple of months. I’m enjoying perma-bulk bruiser Moxley, this look fits him so well.

• Like 4

I know Meltzer's reported back and forth on things like Danielson's potential debut time and obviously some things like when Cole's contract would be up came as a surprise to even Cole, but in general, I think the name "Grand Slam" is a pretty good sign that Khan was planning on loading this card up like this from a fairly early stage. I didn't really make the connection until a few minutes ago when I was going to post that they really knocked it out of the park with this one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I know Meltzer's reported back and forth on things like Danielson's potential debut time and obviously some things like when Cole's contract would be up came as a surprise to even Cole, but in general, I think the name "Grand Slam" is a pretty good sign that Khan was planning on loading this card up like this from a fairly early stage. I didn't really make the connection until a few minutes ago when I was going to post that they really knocked it out of the park with this one.

But to be fair just the fact they were running a building that large suggested that he had stuff lined up for it.

• Like 1