DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Miro is going to run over Fuego’s car in the tank, isn’t he?

I died laughing as soon as he offered to put his car on the line.  I just have this picture in my head of Miro destroying the car like it's the bonus level of Street Fighter II.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

@Nice Guy Eddielet us know what you thought of the show 

I had a great time despite being worn out by the end of Rampage. My throat hurts and my voice is shot. There wasn't anything that wasn't solid. As you'd expect, Punk, Danielson, Adam Cole, and Ruby Soho were all insanely over. The brawl between Suzuki-gun and Moxley/Kingston was awesome. It was cool seeing people's jaws drop for an unadvertised Minoru Suzuki. I've gotten to sing along to Kaze Ni Nare, so I can die a happy man. 

• Like 21

Glad they finally made it to Jersey.

Honestly, I would've spread a couple of those matchups out, but Grand Slam is meant to be a big show. 

I personally can't stand the repetitive Dan Lambert stuff, but at least his Cornette ramblings led to a match this week.

I hope FTR aren't simply serving as sacrificial lambs to Sting and Darby. 

All the Suzuki Incident stuff was really overblown, but I guess credit to AEW for making an angle and stretching this angle out a bit. 

I've been a bit hot and cold on Pillman Jr., but he did cut a good promo with JR tonight. This has been a decent build for his Dynamite match with MJF.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Having MJF do a heel promo in the ring, being cut off by Pillman who just brawls, and then cutting to an 'Earlier in the day' backstage sitdown with Pillman was a smart move. Like it was nice that he got to talk in front of the people in Cincy, but he's not really ready to be doing that regularly. He needs a catchphrase to lean on, or something.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Kind of disappointed that Bryan/Omega is not for the title. Feels like it lessens the drama of such a big match on such a big show and seems like if Bryan wins then they rematch at Full Gear then it's another Christian situation. But still looking forward to it regardless.

People will roll their eyes, but it's because of the ranking system.

I'm thinking Kenny wins and they don't go back to that matchup again for quite a while.  This means they can, maybe not go 100% on free tv, but they can wrestle without having to worry about leaving anything for the rematch. The roster is so loaded that there's lots of other things for Bryan to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m thinking they go to a 20 minute draw. Dragon asks for “5 more minutes” like it’s a random ROH house show. Kenny mimes going back in… “No”. *Lights go out* Hangman comes in, and slugs Omega. Looks at the belt, and then has a stare off with Brian to close the show.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

I think you can't "Lights Out" gimmick Arthur Ashe. 

I don’t even know how they’ll light it. I’m not sure you can hang a lighting rig. If they use their own lights, I think they can do the “lights out” gimmick.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They made it non-title and played up that Callis really didn't want him to take the match anyway. Danielson's going over.

If that does happen, then the story needs to be Omega purposely running down the clock to get a draw, but Danielson ultimately thwarting him at the last second with a small package.

I’m hoping we get a “I have till five referee” for old times sake next week.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I think the match ends as Omega is seconds from tapping, or on the count of two while he's out cold. Danielson would have won, but technically didn't. With all the talk lately of Danielson in the G1, and of course Omega having been in several, maybe my head is just in the space to borrow the sort of finish that tournament has featured. Whatever the case, it develops the tension between Omega and Callis further: the latter just wants to keep his meal ticket viable, while the former increasingly wants to reassert himself beyond that. 

Alternatively, they could rerun something from Omega's New Japan arc, where his faction-mates want to interfere more than he's comfortable with. Either the distraction works and he beats Danielson (but doesn't feel good about it), or is himself distracted and loses (but with an excuse).

It's exciting, though. I can talk myself into all sorts of finishes, and the match that leads to any of them will be great. 

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 2

For the homies @Nice Guy Eddieand @olythegreat89, roughly what portion of the crowd was booing Cody? Sounded like ~30/70 split on tv from what I could hear. This after coming out to "save" Rosario motherfucking Dawson. But Jersey seemed kinda ornery with a quick trigger finger on that kinda thing. I wonder how Kaz felt getting soundly booed in strike exchanges with Cole. Like I'm sure he gets it but what the hell is next for him after this failed elite hunter run? Doesn't seem like he's got much juice in terms of character choices moving forward and honestly he should be phased out. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, evidence said:

I died laughing as soon as he offered to put his car on the line.  I just have this picture in my head of Miro destroying the car like it's the bonus level of Street Fighter II.

I for one am glad that Tony Khan is getting his booking idea from watching Global TV circa 1993/1994.   I look forward to Sammy and Shawn Spears trying to bring back the Bungee Cord match and Kris Statlander talking about her moon rock.  

• Like 2

Have we talked about the Gunn Club video? Incredible stuff with heels who think they have a really good point but also are completely lacking context. Gunn Club vs Punk after Hook chokes him out in his debut. 

• Like 4

I know this is not a productive line of discussion so I'll surround it in something that is maybe:

Again, I really like the element of the house style where moves are earned or have consequence. I saw the last 5 minutes of Cole vs Kazarian on youtube and I liked how the first Panama Destroyer got countered and how Kazarian got burned by going for the legdrop a second time, which, in general, set up the actual Destroyer as well as could be. That just makes everything feel more earned and more important and resonate more. I think that when Cole has a singles match with Christian, it'll probably be really good because Christian is the king at creatively working those sorts of elements into his matches with his moves and his opponent's moves. That said, and here's the part that's not helpful, the actual moves themselves matter and something like the Panama Destroyer, so much more than even something like a 619 where Rey has to strategically move someone into position, doesn't work at this high a level, not even symbolically. It's just too much, just breaks physics too much, just involves too much of a level of cooperation, just defies logic too much. I think what gets me with it is that it involves two contrived moments. A normal destroyer or code red isn't entirely the end of the world. I think it should go wrong more where a larger guy ends up squishing the guy doing it to get over the risk and reward and difficulty of it, but I'm generally ok with it. Likewise, the set up where a guy is keeled over can be believable in some ways. It worked for years for a Mr. Wrestling II kneelift. But when you combine the two, bridged by the theoretical recoil of landing on the guy's neck and then it bouncing back up to assist with the flip, the execution just has to be absolutely perfect to make it seem believable. Too often, you land, and there's just a long stutter and then he does the destroyer so the leaping off the ropes isn't about the recoil so much as just setting it up and it's asinine. It just is. I get that if you watch modern wrestling you have to deal with stuff like that and I get that it's over which, in the end, is most of what matters, but I kind of really hate it. Sorry.

There, that's out of my system for now.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6