DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2.0 - 9/14/2021

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

More Creed Brothers, please! This is so my jam and what has been missing in wrestling for a very long time.

All in on these guys. Awesome lunkhead jock bullies. I laughed multiple times during this match when they just rag-dolled those fools. That clothesline finish is so nasty and my favorite move in wrestling right now.

• Like 4

I was told just yesterday his name would be REX STEINER. Bron BreaKKer is a terrible name, and I dare someone to justify the extra K to me.

Creed brothers were the shit though, big dude tag teams murdering jobbers is my favorite sub-genre of pro rasslin by far

• Like 4

I just saw the wedding segment. Bravo to everyone. Screw some seven star match. This is pro wrestling at its finest. Was Indi chewing gum the entire time? Who ever thought that Austin Theory would be hysterical? Johnny and Candace, too. I want something like this in NXT 2.0 every month if possible.

• Like 2

So mixed bag of stuff.

I did like the studio upgrades.  The cwc was really dark.

Boy the wwe developmental random name generator is dog shit.  Rex Steiner would have been a billion times better. Is Breakker an IRL name?  

I want creeds vs Bron and a partner like tomorrow. 

If you are running a show on network TV, you'd like to think you'd have a little more polished performances.  The Trick/Carmello promo was not ready for primetime.

I'm not sure why they threw Wagner in the title match at all.

I like Mandy's new look.  Probably needs to figure out newer gear but I like the dark hair.  She sort of reminds me of Yvonne De Carlo as Lilly Munster for some reason.

Loved the wedding. I think they were trying to throw a little too much in but the way really has been killing it.  

• Like 2

Other than the vintage Kevin Dunn camera work and main roster booking trends (LA Knight randomly taking and losing another match the night of a title fight treated like no big deal, the tag turning into a 6 person after a commercial), the show was decent enough reset.

InDex was the most wholesome wrestling wedding since Savage/Liz and a great conclusion to that angle. I would've preferred Dunne as champ, but Ciampa will certainly pull off the "old guard vet fighting off the youngsters" more capably than Joe could at this point in his career. Mandy's new faction is cool, whatever the hell the gimmick is supposed to be.

Some of the new people looked promising. Bron, Trick Williams, Creed Brothers. B-Fab's match was rough, and the promo afterwards wasn't much better.

Show felt very haphazard and too slapdash for me to call it good. Felt like Vince Russo was booking. Why would you have LA Knight come out and job to Bron Breakker the same night he's wrestling in the main event for the world title? Also, Kyle O'Reilly gets taken out and replaced by a random nobody? Makes no sense.

Vince Russo comes out to see an incredulous Triple H, "The consortium was me, bro."

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aside from the new coat of paint/lights on the place, it seemed like the same kind of show that we've been getting recently. Just with more touches of Vince.

Rex Steiner was a perfectly good name. So to go with Bron Breakker and not even acknowledge him as a Steiner when they love second generation stuff was a bit confusing. Also why did LA Knight take a match before the biggest match of his career? I know I'm looking for logic where there is none.

The Creed Bros were something fun. 

Skipping to the main event, it sucked that they took O'Reily out of the 4 way. But his revenge feud with Pete Dunne should be fun though.

LA Knight got busted open big time somehow after Ciampa did the plancha onto everyone. I was surprised to see Ciampa win. I figured Dunne was winning for sure. Von Wagner looks like the basic CAW character before you edit his gear and hair style.

The wedding was amazing. Dexter Gaylord Lumis. You could just hear Vince and Bruce snickering over Gaylord. But the best part was when everyone objected and he flashed the axe. I couldn't stop laughing. Beth saving the wedding was also great. I can't wait to see where they go next with these two.

• Like 1

I'm kind of pissed they didn't use the infinitely better Rex Steiner name for Bron Breakker. Dug the match with Knight. It was nice, simple, and Steiner looked good.

The Carmelo Hayes segment was weird. He feels like he will be better as a heel, but his promo game is not there and turning via beating on an established heel in Hudson was just a dumb choice. Trick looked more comfortable on the mic.

B-Fab did not look good at all in her debut. Hopefully she isn't wrestling too much or just happened to be nervous here. She is a good talker so I was hoping for something more.

Imperium vs. Briggs/Jensen was fun while it lasted.

Kacy/Kaden vs. Dolin/Jayne turning into a six women tag with Mandy and Sarray added was a bit more main roster than I like, but the match itself was pretty solid. I like Mandy going brunette to fit in better with Dolin and Jayne. Looking forward to seeing how their team continues to evolve.

The Creed Brothers had another wonderful squash and its nice to see Diamond Mine growing with a female member added.

The 4-way was nice while it lasted though it felt a bit quick for an NXT Title match. The new guy wasn't bad though I have no idea why he was added. He didn't have a strong showing character or charisma wise. He also didn't really make sense being added simply for helping Kyle. Steiner/Breakker would have made a lot more sense seeing that he beat Knight earlier on the show. Ciampa winning was a nice surprise. Thought for sure it would be Dunne.

The InDex wedding and the segments leading up to it were perfect. I loved every bit with Dexter never breaking character, the axe threat, Beth coming in for the rescue, etc. They could not have done that any better than they did. 

I could do without the Dunn cuts though I think I have sadly gotten used to them from years of watching the main show. I'm still not fond of the new logo. Also not sure on the coloring used for the lights. At the same time I think the arena looks so much better with the brightness turned up like it was. Its good actually seeing the audience, and it feels like they reconfigured the arena to fit more people as well. That said, in general I thought this was a solid show as a reset of the brand. The newer, less experienced talent have good potential for the most part and should go far with the older talent still around to teach them.

• Like 1

Tony D'Angelo feud with Cameron Grimes for the Million Dollar title. Von Wagner beats Ciampa at the next Takeover for the NXT title. Rex Steiner & Parker Boudreaux vs The Creed Brothers in a 6 month long feud for the tag team titles. Just turn this fucker into ECW on Sci-Fi, then shut it down in a few years. Rinse, repeat. Maybe they can cut Al Snow a check in 2024 to make OVW their feeder promotion again.

As a true developmental show this was perfectly fine.    Although I have no idea how this is a national TV show.   I guess at this point USA doesn't care as long as there is WWE programming.   

This show felt a lot like the original FCW TV shows only with more fans and almost no indie stars like a Rollins/Moxley/Cesaro/Shemaus

• Like 1

There was some good and not so good here.

The new arena coupled with the logo looked like some Nickelodeon game show studio and I wasn't much of a fan of it, however the crowd looked more engaged and prominent than it did in the former arena.

Did they even mention El Hijo Del Steiner as being a second generation wrestler? As much as they like to lean into that you'd think it would be mentioned rather than sticking to the godawful NXT name generator. Regardless of that, he looked great in the ring. Like everyone else has said, Knight agreeing to a match with him before having a world title show made zero sense.

Imperium could have a decent match with just about anyone and the Smoking Guns 2.0 were just kinda there.

The women's tag becoming a trios match was pretty on-brand with WWE restarting a match after someone interferes. Mandy with a brown wig and excessive amount of spray tan was whatever. Dolin is good but the jury is still out on Jayne. I'm not sure why they didn't keep Cora Jade/Elayna Black with Dolin instead.

Hit Row and Phantasma's mic work with eachother was better than the preceeding match. Is Electra a trained wrestler or is she a developmental person like Bfab? Because I could see that program featuring good promos and very iffy ringwork.

Hayes and Trick's promo of 90s hip hop catchphrases was aimless and not that great.

Here's another cosign for the Creed Bros. Having Bivens as their mouthpiece is only going to be good for them.

Nonsensical booking once again reared its head when some new rando got added to the world title match. At least have some vignette to introduce who this new guy is, or explain why they picked him over everyone else in the locker room to get added to it. The match itself was ok, though I'd much have preferred a Ciampa/Dunne singles match. It looks like that's coming up soon and should be a banger.

I'm in the minority in that I didn't care much of the wedding segment, but then again the whole angle and series of videos hasn't entertained me. Even though it was a popular bit, I don't think it should have been in the main event slot, though I get that the setup for the stage and whatnot took too long to make and tear down.

For those - like me - that need a cheat sheet with all the wacky NXT names. (And we have already talked the Rex Steiner/Bronson Rechsteiner fiasco)

Brooks Jensen = Ben Buchanan (Bull Buchanan's kid). He was one of the dudes who lost to Imperium

Trick Williams = Matrick Belton. He trained in the CZW Academy but I am not sure he actually worked matches before.

Tony D’Angelo = Joe Ariola. He wrestled at the University of Buffalo and made the NCAA tournament one year. I eagerly await Meltzer being pissed that D'Angelo's gimmick is "there is no money in amateur wrestling"

Ivy Nile = Emily Andzulis. She was on the first season Titan Games.

Von Wagner = Cal Bloom who is Wayne Bloom's kid

• Like 2

NXT didn't do a good enough job of telling us who Von Wagner was. They should have included a 30 second video of his highlights from other matches. Only an idiot would put an unknown guy in a main event spot like that.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I have fond memories of our prospect power ranking discussion as part of the original NXT game show threads and should probably revive that if this is going to be the format of the show going forward.

Bron looked great, stupid name aside. It was weird to ignore his history yet drop a “dogface gremlin” line on commentary. I’m fine with him as the face of the new batch of kids

The two guys that fought Imperium and the ladies with Mandy look like hamandeggers.

Not a bad vignette promo by the mafia character guy. Combining that gimmick with an amateur in ring style is an interesting combo.

Von Wagner’s gait and jawline / sunken eyes looks like Great Khali and I can’t unsee it. 

I actually like the overall look now, but the excruciatingly bright lights during matches is maybe a bit much. 

I think this was a fun enough show, but one of the biggest draws of NXT over the last few years has been that it's the one WWE property with consistent logic and attention to detail. Everyone else has already covered the dumb stuff happening with little or no explanation on this show. It was painful to go from great storytelling to "The Blonde Khali, who has never even been mentioned on NXT television before, gets a shot at the title because he saved KOR from a locker room attack."

Wanting to highlight new talent instead of career indie dudes is a completely reasonable choice. And there's real entertainment value in watching Steiner's kid and the Creed Brothers throwing pasty dudes around like sacks of flour for the next couple of months. But they're going to have to do a better job of actually introducing the new kids and creating some sort of internal logic for matchmaking.

• Like 4

If there's a tag team that I wouldn't have figured has a chance to exist in the future (when watching back in early 1993), the offsprings of a Steiner Brother and a Beverly Brother possibly teaming together would have been up there! Now there is a more than a 0% chance of it happening at some point.

Damn it, I want that to happen now! I had no idea they had Wayne Bloom's kid! It would have been hilarious if they ended up calling him a Beverly while Steiner is whatever the F it was.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

NXT didn't do a good enough job of telling us who Von Wagner was. They should have included a 30 second video of his highlights from other matches. Only an idiot would put an unknown guy in a main event spot like that.

I guess my question on that is does Von Wagner actually have a 30 second video of his highlights.   Short of showing him lifting weights I don't know what they can show.   It isn't like they can pull footage from the Florida NXT loop because there isn't one 

I thought it was funny looking at Vinnie Massaro twitter saying that he fully expects people to say he stole his gimmick from Tony D'Angelo ?

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 3

Really like the set and studio wrestling feel.  Also kinda like the lighting setup.  The old show probably was too dark and the plexiglass gave everything a dystopian  vibe.

Thought everything else needed work.  Same complaints as already mentioned.  Spent too much time wondering who people were, if I was supposed to care or not, why stuff was happening.  Bivens did a nice job getting Iby Nile over as a big deal.  Everyone else just sort of got dumped out there.  Recognized Rex Steiner, but that was just 'cause I happened to recognize Rex Steiner, not because commentary did much to make him feel like a big deal.  Not acknowledging who he was, but making Steiner references was annoying. 

In general, it was hard to sort out who was a big deal and why.  Why did Breakker randomly get a match with L.A. Knight?  Why did Knight agree to that 90 min before the title match.  Are the guys who jobbed to Imperium supposed to be anyone of note?  Why is the big dude i've never heard of before getting a title match?  And on..

I don't agree that last night was reminiscent of FCW.  May become that down the road, but FCW usually did a nice job of introducing guys and giving them a bit of buildup.

Creed Brothers are fun but they look a tad careless tossing jobbers around,

Mostly disliked the wedding stuff, but I've generally found the InDex stuff to be a channel changer.  Did laugh at Johnny Gargano wearing Lumis' ring gear before the wedding and Beth saying "Well, I thought this might happen" after Lumis put the priest to sleep and Beth had to step in.

We'll see where it goes but I'm not sure it's going to work for TV.  Mixing vets with newbies makes sense for a developmental show, but may not be interesting to watch.  

• Like 1