DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 2

Dolfan in NYC

Every time I start thinking Lamar Jackson is a touch over-rated, he does Lamar Jackson things and changes my mind. I'm still concerned about his passing decisions as he made a few throws that had me worried (I was watching the game with my brother, who is a Ravens fan) but he sure is fun to watch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Every time I start thinking Lamar Jackson is a touch over-rated, he does Lamar Jackson things and changes my mind. I'm still concerned about his passing decisions as he made a few throws that had me worried (I was watching the game with my brother, who is a Ravens fan) but he sure is fun to watch.

Between Jackson, Murray,  Mahomes, Josh Allen,  and Baker Mayfield,  we have some really entertaining quarterbacks right now. They are all good to great,  and have at least 3 moments per game that make you say,  "what the fuck was that?" I personally think Kyler Murray is the most exciting player in the sport,  and it's because he'll do just about anything.  Every play had the chance to be a disaster,  but he makes it work more often than not. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think I'm over the Tua experiment at this point. Mediocre passer and can't stay on the field. Bummer Phins skipped over Herbert. 

He's 7-4 as a starter....  

I don't think it's his fault he has no o-line. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, the O-Line was pretty atrocious for sure. Poor Jacoby was running for his life, and some of those 4th down attempts were just yeesh.

I think it's just more the fact that he has trouble staying on the field between Bama and now here. 

• Like 1

Sure, but here's the thing.  There is literally no one out there who's an upgrade.   Don't say Watson... consider him to be PNG until whatever investigation is done.  Injuries happen in the NFL.  And unless there's someone that's a massive upgrade to what we've got, let's focus on the things that will help immediately.  

Like Waddle not dropping the football like it's a greased pig.  

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He's 7-4 as a starter while averaging 190 yards passing and 10 yards rushing a game.  He's got two wins where he had less than 100 yards passing.  I get it, wins are all that matters but is it REALLY the quarterback winning the game when he's got 94 yards passing and 11 yards rushing like week 16 last year against the Raiders?

Edited by Tabe

Another exciting down-to-wire prime time game.

Meanwhile, hometown Steelers looked rough.  Defense gave up 400 yrds. passing, though they had two starters out and two more get injured during the game.  O-line looked mostly unable to give Big Ben time.  Rushing game was almost non-existent.  Looked bad enough that you could be forgiven for wondering why Ben was brought back for one more year?  Steelers don't seem to be in a position to win now and Ben is likely past the point where he can do the gunslinger thing and win you the game by his lonesome.

25 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Another exciting down-to-wire prime time game.

Meanwhile, hometown Steelers looked rough.  Defense gave up 400 yrds. passing, though they had two starters out and two more get injured during the game.  O-line looked mostly unable to give Big Ben time.  Rushing game was almost non-existent.  Looked bad enough that you could be forgiven for wondering why Ben was brought back for one more year?  Steelers don't seem to be in a position to win now and Ben is likely past the point where he can do the gunslinger thing and win you the game by his lonesome.

The Steelers season is totally dependent on the D staying healthy, sadly they won't:( Missing both Watt and Bush hurts them the most and both are likely to be out a few weeks. As a Steeler fan I'm kind of torn, having a really bad season which leads to a high draft pick to take a QB is appealing, but is there going to be any great QB's in the draft? Then there's the whole appeal of going 9-8 or 10-7 and costing either the Browns or Ravens the division or playoff spot or winning the division with that record(the AFC North isn't that good).

54 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He's 7-4 as a starter while averaging 190 yards passing and 10 yards rushing a game.  He's got two wins where he had less than 100 yards passing.  I get it, wins are all that matters but is it REALLY the quarterback winning the game when he's got 94 yards passing and 11 yards rushing like week 16 last year against the Raiders?

and I think two of those down those "wins as a starter" are because Fitzpatrick came in late to win the game (at least that week against the Raiders was one). I can't recall the other. 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:32 PM, jaedmc said:

Joe Burrow with three straight interceptions. Each beautiful in their own way.

Might have something to do with having to play behind the absolute worst line in the league. After the game the players and coaches flat out admitted they knew they could've torched the Bears secondary going long but had to rely on short quick passes so Burrow wouldn't end up being killed. Why the team didn't move heaven and earth to fix it this offseason is a great question.

• Like 1

Not to defend the Bengals (or the Bills, who have had line issues as well), the sad fact is that there aren't enough talented OL to spread around. The DL in the NFL seems to have advanced at a faster rate than their counterparts, if you polled fans I would guess 75% of NFL teams have substandard offensive lines (or at least a few weak links). Some are worse than others, for sure. But I don't think its a fixable problem league-wide as if say the Bengals signed three great OL, then some other team would then have a shitty OL instead. 

• Like 2

Same old Packers/Lions game. Couple turnovers from the Detroit quarterback, a Lions coach who preaches toughness and smashmouth but then throws on every 3rd or 4th & 1, a Lions secondary covering no one, and officiating helping out Green Bay. This is a movie I've seen at least 30 times.