DVDVR Message Board

What Is The Matrix?

Zimbra

If you have HBO and your cable provider has a deal, you can get free access to HBO Max and all three Matrix movies are in their catalogue.  Matrix:  Resurrections should also be out on HBO Max same day as theaters thanks to WB's deal with HBO.

My daughter and I watched The Matrix last night and she thought it was pretty good.  I'll let her judge the other two movies on her own.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

watch the first and miss the next two or watch the trilogy?

10 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I'd go ahead and watch the trilogy. The second and third movies could have been better, but they're not awful; they just didn't tell the story I wanted to see with the end of the first one, and that's on me.

i'll second this. i just rewatched them a couple months ago (actually i may have posted about it in this thread). i enjoyed all three movies, but the first one is awesome. the next two are good. they definitely didn't go where most people thought they would, but as long as you go in knowing that, you should be able to enjoy them. 

• Thanks 1

The Animatrix will be on tonight on Cartoon Network during the Adult Swim block (12:30 EDT - 02:45 EDT) following an episode of Blade Runner:  Black Lotus.

It is also available OnDemand on HBO Max.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

That movie... WAS FUCKING AMAZING!

Co-fucking-signed. Wow. I just finished it and I'm fucking stunned. It was nearly everything I have wanted for years and was the direction they should have gone in after the first movie. Biggest props ever to Lana. She did it.

• Like 1

Also, man, can we please start getting Jonathan Groff into more stuff already? I would maybe consider nominating him for best supporting actor, but I'm biased and love everything he does. 

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Let’s start with Mindhunter season three. 

Man. Please. Someone get Fincher to release his death grip and just let someone else make that since practically the entire cast wanted to keep it going. 

Spoiler
  • What was the Doctor's motivation again? Something something power?
  • What was new Agent Smith's motivation again? 
  • Why did Smith help Neo?
  • How could Smith not be affected by the Doctor's bullet time?
  • What happened to the Doctor at the end? I legit am drawing a blank, I remember them beating him up.
  • Why is Trinity godlike now and Neo along for the ride, even though he can stop bullets but can't fly?

I left the cinema confused. When watching Cloud Atlas I was confused in a good way. Not so sure if I'm confused in a good way this time. Anyone help me with the above?

Edited by Leonidas

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:
  Hide contents
  • What was the Doctor's motivation again? Something something power?
  • What was new Agent Smith's motivation again? 
  • Why did Smith help Neo?
  • How could Smith not be affected by the Doctor's bullet time?
  • What happened to the Doctor at the end? I legit am drawing a blank, I remember them beating him up.
  • Why is Trinity godlike now and Neo along for the ride, even though he can stop bullets but can't fly?

I left the cinema confused. When watching Cloud Atlas I was confused in a good way. Not so sure if I'm confused in a good way this time. Anyone help me with the above?

Spoiler

1. The Analyst is the new Architect.  He created the new Matrix to generate power for the machines, it just happened that his version generated more because people are continually stimulated as opposed to the Architect's version which kept people docile.

2. Smith is inherently connected to Neo because of how Neo "deleted" him from 1 and how Neo and Machina deleted him in 3.  They were always 2 sides of the same coin.  He was "free" from Matrix control and wanted to infect everything in the Trilogy.  Now he's free and again, wants to take over.

3. Smith had been stuck in the same docile loop Neo was.  When Neo was broken out, it woke up Smith.  Smith wanted to be free from the Analyst more than he wanted to kill Neo at the time.

4.  Neo hadn't fully been awakened and at his full power, plus he's human.   Smith is pure program, almost a virus, he doesn't operate within the rules of the system (shit, he took over the Bot Swarm toward the end)

5. The Analyst got slapped around by Trinity for his shit, then they left him to watch what happens because he *can't* stop them without putting his own head on the block.

6. Trinity got Neo powers from her *and* Neo getting reinserted with the Source Code when they were Project Lazarus'ed back.  They reason Neo was able to break the cycle in the Trilogy was because Trinity was the variable the Oracle stuck into the Architect's loop.  The Analyst realized this and when he built his Matrix, the source code was put in both of them, because while they're "together but not linked", it allows the Matrix to generate more power.  So when she got freed, she has the same powerset as Neo does, because the Source Code exists in her as well.  At the end, they both were flying separately.  Neo just didn't get to full power yet (Trinity got there faster).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved everything about this movie - except for the use of Brass Against in the credits. I mean, I love Brass Against, but that's at like 3am watching their videos on YouTube, not in a big budget movie.

• Like 1