DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

To me, Andrade feels like someone that's been forgotten about. It was like he was signed to a decent amount of buzz, and then it came out that Punk and Bryan were going to be available, and suddenly he wasn't as special anymore. He and Pac put on a total banger last night, and hopefully there's more to come from both of them. I know everyone expects the Lucha Bros to turn and join Andrade, but I'm really hoping that Death Triangle stays together, and that Andrade can get a couple of guys from AAA (Averno~!) to pop over and back him up.

• Like 4

Pac vs Andrade had that same feeling that FTR vs Santana/Ortiz from last week's Dynamite. Like, we're not on the PPV, so let's have our PPV match on TV. Only it had a total TV match finish.

At least AEW's "Only one screwjob finish per week of Television" policy is still in place. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

To me, Andrade feels like someone that's been forgotten about. It was like he was signed to a decent amount of buzz, and then it came out that Punk and Bryan were going to be available, and suddenly he wasn't as special anymore. He and Pac put on a total banger last night, and hopefully there's more to come from both of them. I know everyone expects the Lucha Bros to turn and join Andrade, but I'm really hoping that Death Triangle stays together, and that Andrade can get a couple of guys from AAA (Averno~!) to pop over and back him up.

I'm not really a Lucha guy, but I never really saw the fuss over Andrade. I remember my ex-gf called him Baby Rusev, and to me he often comes across as a less interesting version of ADR. He's clearly good, but the Almas/Vega pairing was one of those pair is bigger than the sum of its parts deal. If Flair is going to be in his corner then fair enough though.

Nobody in the AEW Discord understood Max Caster's references. Now Joe Burrow, fair enough, not many British people follow the NFL and would struggle to know who Tom Brady was, let alone a guy who started for he Bengals for only one year. But they also didn't recognise WWE Hall of Famer Pete Rose's name. All those Tombstones from Kane, and they meant nothing.

I get that there are specific cultural reasons for it, but the idea that a guy is a total pariah for betting on his own sport, when he was betting on his own team to win, seems ridiculous. Why isn't Mayweather in the same boat? He does the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far I think I enjoy Rampage more than Dynamite.  Just a full action-packed hour.

Kinda wish the order of matches was switched- feel like PAC/Andrade was so awesome it made Caster/Pillman seem tame even though the latter match was also awesome.

As much as I dislike Pillman (and Garrison)  personally, he's got talent.  The Acclaimed feel like a pairing that is more than the sum of their parts, but the parts are really good.  Really think this would be better with a face Acclaimed and heel Blondes though, but that might be personal bias.

Betting as a baseball player is considered the one unpardonable sin due to the Black Sox scandal 100 years ago.  Pete Rose managed to talk himself into an irreversible ban, when if he kept his mouth shut or just plead for mercy he would have been let back in.  (The only folks I think yetted forever are Rose, Sandy Alomar Jr, and John Coppolella who did under the table deals with prospects and lied about it in a big coverup.  All three totally deserved it.)

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jrag said:

Even those of you who don’t like the idea will mark out with the rest of us when it leads to Andrade w/ Flair vs Darby w/ Sting.

Darby turns on Sting?

I love Andrade. To me he perfected and was the best example of the peak NXT main event style before it all went to shit. He’s so good at knowing when to slow it down and when to go warp speed. And similar to how it’s been a nice breath of fresh air for Malakai Black to bring that slowdown into the promotion, it’ll be good with Andrade as well IMO.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

Andrade Vs. PAC was definitely worth the watch, and probably would’ve been a massive highlight of the PPV. I didn’t care for the finish, or this weird turn on Chavo. Did he sacrifice Chavo to show the Lucha Bros. that he was a man of honor? Whatever the case, it was very confusing. 

I kinda want Death Triangle to be done with to be honest. It’s helped when Fenix has been out, but otherwise it drags down the LB’s a bit. I feel like they should be more of a focus on their own, and find their own rivals. Another thing I just thought about. Maybe the LB’s aren’t turning on PAC. Maybe it’s PAC that should turn on them, and join Andrade after gaining some mutual respect. Those two have a potential together, and make the LB’s the babyface’s being tormented by the two.

The rest of the show was very average after that. I did enjoy the women’s trios match, though except the Rebel parts. This is where Keira Hogan could’ve been the third to take the pin fall in that match. Also I know they want Jade to be a big star, but they are not giving her enough reps to develop. This is where  she should’ve been working underneath as a rookie monster, with potential to be something bigger down the line. She has the look, it’s just clear doesn’t have the in-ring talent. Having her work matches, and take falls to start would not have killed her chances of success.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

RIC FLAIR w/ andrade vs STING w/ darby allin 

"Okay Ric Flair, I'll team with you to take on your mortal nemesis and Son in Law, Andrade... BUT IF YOU SCREW ME!" - Sting 

I had this whole thing ready to go about how yeah I am pretty down on how Andrade's been used so far but the idea him and Flair vs. Sting and Darby when the time is right would rule (and Darby is beefing with Tully now....) . He was a really big signing but feels like he's gotten lost and directionless especially with Malakai/Danielson/Punk/Adam Cole coming after. But if the Flair stuff is true I can be a little patient. In other topics it's been talked up that Andrade's thing is that he has great match but then his chyron noted this was his first match since May (against Sydal) and his second match overall. I really hope they find a spot for him now that the initial waves are kind of over with the other huge debuts. And yeah I know Pac's travel issues have been a part of this too.

Wonder why no Griff Garrison last night. Castor had Bowens in his corner so why not have Pillman have his partner. The graphic even said Pillman was supposed to have Julia as his second for this match too. I really like the winks that Castor's suspension and it being the chili line where Bowens was like "You're on this ice already!" Also I've never had skyline chili but this past week has me kind of curious about it now.

24 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

In other topics it's been talked up that Andrade's thing is that he has great match but then his chyron noted this was his first match since May (against Sydal) and his second match overall. I really hope they find a spot for him now that the initial waves are kind of over with the other huge debuts.

July 7th was his match against Matt Sydal. Two months is still bad, but better than four at least.

This is what I said in the other thread when I brought up Sammy having like 10 matches in a calendar year. I'm all for rotating people around, but after talking with my buddies yesterday, look at the at least upper midcard talent AEW has now.

Kenny Omega, Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho, MJF, CM Punk, Darby Allin, Hangman Page, Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole, Miro, Christian Cage, Cody Rhodes, Malakai Black, Andrade El Idolo, PAC...

And that's not counting fringe guys or people who will be up there soon (Starks, Sammy) or are on the fringe (Archer, Kingston). That's 20 guys I just named who could realistically (outside of maybe Starks and Sammy) challenge for the AEW title. 

So back to the main point. That's.... A LOT of mouths to feed. Like a metric ton. It's good to have that much talent but to be fair I also don't want to wait 3-5 weeks to see one Miro match either or ect.

Plus, AEW in my opinion is putting too much of the new toys out there. Do we need to hear from Cole and Bryan on back to back shows? They did it with Punk where he was on 4 straight shows. You know I love those guys and all, I just want to see more of those who don't get all the time.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

Wonder why no Griff Garrison last night. Castor had Bowens in his corner so why not have Pillman have his partner. The graphic even said Pillman was supposed to have Julia as his second for this match too. I really like the winks that Castor's suspension and it being the chili line where Bowens was like "You're on this ice already!" Also I've never had skyline chili but this past week has me kind of curious about it now.

Griff wasn't there because of the injury angle from Wednesday.

Julia Hart is also doing an injury angle (took her out of the PPV Battle Royal, allowing Skye Blue in), but that's the cover for the fact that she really is injured. Messed her knee up on Elevation.

• Like 2

Nice to see Andrade silence a few critics with that fantastic performance alongside Pac's.  Not unlike Miro and Brodie Lee before him he just needed a little time to settle in.  

I love Mark Henry.  That big warm smile announcing 'the Main Event' is a weekly highlight.  He's got a good voice for commentary, anything he lacks is due largely to experience.  They oughtta give him some more reps on one of the Dark shows.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

This is the first full episode of Rampage I am watching. Am I nuts in liking this more than Dynamite in terms of how the show is formatted and works?

The Pac/Andrade match was awesome. Both of those guys don’t just have crazy moves, but they know how to make them look like they hurt. That dive Andrade took when he did the 180 spin — that extra spin looked like it added some more impact to it. Same with Pac’s  split-legged moonsault. I loved the heel distraction ending. Not sure of any of the backstory but seems like a good place for me to step in.

This is also my first time seeing Darby and Sting. I like Darby coming out to some Misfits tribute band song. I had no idea why he dressed like that, but being a Horror Punk skater kid makes a lot of sense to me. Tully outsmarting Sting-ah (“You need to be more aware!”) allowing Spears to sucker Darby was classic. Great to see Sting having his strengths as a mentor to another darkened face paint wearing soul but still getting conned like California Sting all of those dozens of times. That should always be the case. 

Really cool that each of the Trios came out to one singular theme song as opposed to everyone getting their own entrances. Cuts down on time and such a pet peeve of mine in WWE, and also subtly puts the emphasis on the main feud. Big ups to Best Friends also coming out with Statlander. Very cool to connect that relationship. I liked that match — really quick sprint with all of the faces getting their shine, and without Britt taking the fall to keep up with the match. 

The Cole and Danielson little promo was a good side-by-side and makes me think they are going to toss Cole in BD’s way before he gets to Omega. Also, they are very clearly going to at some point do an Adam Cole/Omega power struggle angle. “I trust them with my life!” 

I like Henry hosting this side-by-side segment. This is my first time even hearing of Castor and Bowen’s. They did the same thing that other heels did on Dynamite where they mugged too much, this time during Pillman’s promo. Camera either should have just focused on Pillman or they needed to tone it down by 75 percent because it was distracting from what Pillman was saying.

Heels ripping on a hometown for Heat is so stupid at this point, but it actually makes sense from an insult rapper. Pillman coming our house on fire and not even getting out of his vest with his mullet flowing is such a great 1980s babyface touch. Something really unsettling about Bowens shirtless at ringside — I love the obnoxiousness of some jacked dude going throughout his whole life shirtless and daring retail establishments to not serve him. Pillman is doing a really good “inspired by his hometown” baby face act. Good little match with the baby face overcoming the sneaky heeling. Mox making the save for the hometown kid also ruled. 

Really good hour of professional wrestling. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Griff wasn't there because of the injury angle from Wednesday.

Julia Hart is also doing an injury angle (took her out of the PPV Battle Royal, allowing Skye Blue in), but that's the cover for the fact that she really is injured. Messed her knee up on Elevation.

Okay, I knew Julia had the injury angle for All Out but she was on the graphic for the match on their socials. Mox making save, I get giving him the Cincinatti moment but everything felt a little too... convenient. Pillman's regular partner isn't there so Mox gets to have another moment. 

2 hours ago, Log said:

It’s gross. 

I try not to get political on here, but noodles have no place in chili. 

I was talking with two friends about Skyline (we're all good cooks), one really liked it and one thinks its gross so I felt like I'd have to be the tie breaker but yikes, that doesn't sound great. I have a secret recipe for my chili but noodles does sound weird.

2 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

July 7th was his match against Matt Sydal. Two months is still bad, but better than four at least.

This is what I said in the other thread when I brought up Sammy having like 10 matches in a calendar year. I'm all for rotating people around, but after talking with my buddies yesterday, look at the at least upper midcard talent AEW has now.

Kenny Omega, Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho, MJF, CM Punk, Darby Allin, Hangman Page, Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole, Miro, Christian Cage, Cody Rhodes, Malakai Black, Andrade El Idolo, PAC...

And that's not counting fringe guys or people who will be up there soon (Starks, Sammy) or are on the fringe (Archer, Kingston). That's 20 guys I just named who could realistically (outside of maybe Starks and Sammy) challenge for the AEW title. 

So back to the main point. That's.... A LOT of mouths to feed. Like a metric ton. It's good to have that much talent but to be fair I also don't want to wait 3-5 weeks to see one Miro match either or ect.

Plus, AEW in my opinion is putting too much of the new toys out there. Do we need to hear from Cole and Bryan on back to back shows? They did it with Punk where he was on 4 straight shows. You know I love those guys and all, I just want to see more of those who don't get all the time.

And it's not even that they appear infrequently but there's something to when they go missing. Sammy had the huge moment keeping the Inner Circle together at Double or Nothing which was this big star making moment now he's barely on the show. And I get you want to showcase the big new signees but there has to be a balance of what you've been building before. I love that guys like Miro, Kingston, and Archer are there and there's so much possibility for what can be done with Punk, Danielson, and Cole but gotta remember that Sammy is there to be the future with MJF, Darby, and Jungle Boy.

So I watched this, not out of curiosity about the product in general or for clinical reasons so I could talk intelligently if I had to, or to see a specific wrestler or hear a specific announcer like Wight and check in on how he was doing, but because I sort of just wanted to see it. I wanted to see if Andrade could pull it together finally. I wanted to see if they were setting up Flair coming in maybe. I wanted to see what they had Danielson say. I wanted to see how Soho meshed in the division. I wanted to see what kind of pop Pillman got both out the gate and the win and how Caster was playing up getting taken off TV. I wanted to see the tenor of the Sting/Tully stuff. There didn't seem to be anything on there that was going to really annoy me. I just wanted to see the show for the show. And I didn't really spoil myself first when I could have, but that's a mixed bag too. I wasn't deeply hungry to know like in years' past. I think I cared less what happened and more wanted to see it.

And for the most part I liked it. I thought Andrade based well for Pac and Pac put in enough struggle to make Andrade's stuff (even the illogical stuff) look good. Starting it out with both of them in the ring was actually quite striking. The ending was fine because it was a very traditional one and because they inverted it. The Sting/Tully interaction worked though they don't REALLY have that much history (they were only positioned to work against each other for a year and more like five months in 88). Sting getting someone else caught by surprise is funny. There were things I liked about the women's match and things I didn't. I like Baker's reactions in general. I liked Hayter's power but thought the Riho/Hayter hot tag moment felt way off. There's a lot of hesitation and physical unsureness with a lot of people on the roster and it's hard not to notice it. I think Soho needs some other hook to the start of her song, or they need to figure out a slightly different point in the song to start it or something. It rolls in a little too slowly. Even a "If you smell what the rock is cooking..." or glass breaking or something, but for her. The face to face was good but Henry needs more reps. He'll get there. I think I like watching Griff more than Pillman but Pillman works interestingly for a young guy. You expect Dustin and Christian (working as an Ace, at least) to work in the ten count punches and the claps and the working from underneath on chinlocks but it's neat to see a young guy doing those things. I didn't love how he reached out of the ring (first time I thought it was to his family but later on, you saw it wasn't) and maybe that was the fault of the camera angles. I did like the story of the match with the Acclaimed using outside distraction or interference at every point. I know that Miz vs Pillman Jr would be a really good house show match but I'm not sure about MJF.

Look, I'm not going to say this will be appointment viewing for me every week or that I'm enthused to watch a bunch of Dynamite and deal with the Elite, but it feels like the first time since Bayley and Asuka were in NXT that I kind of want to see a weekly show.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

Regarding wrestlers only having a few matches here and there, I think that's perfectly fine as long as they keep rotating talent. Most MMA fighters have only a couple fights a year, so why shouldn't top-tier wrestlers maybe perform once a month? Especially champions... Combine that with the lack of house shows (and taking indy bookings at their discretion) and you'll really keep these men and women rested and drastically reduce wear-down and potential injuries. Meanwhile you've got the YouTube shows to season the younger, less-experienced talent. Overall it could be a GREAT model for the long run. And if people are unhappy with their station? Maybe TK can be the anti-WWE yet again in releasing talent who want to move on. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

The thing is why would you need to be released?  If you're not being used, you're free to do indies, even big-name indies, and you get more money as an AEW talent.

Pineapple Pete probably makes more now than he ever did.

I do think eventually there is going to be a logjam in AEW, which we won't mind, cause embarassment of riches, but some of it is going to filter down into ROH/Impact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Also I've never had skyline chili but this past week has me kind of curious about it now.

It's a Cincinnati thing. It's different from normal chili, it's more like a sauce then typical chili con carne. They serve it over pasta instead of by the bowl.

(As a Texan, I'm not into non-chili con carne.)