DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Speaking of Suzuki-Gun, how long until AEW can make a move for Zack Sabre Jr? Dude is wasting prime years of his career shackled to a dog turd in New Japan and is stale as hell there. A move back to the States would be good for him and be another big get who isn't an ex-WWE guy.

Hilarious and true.  Well said.  

28 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Speaking of Suzuki-Gun, how long until AEW can make a move for Zack Sabre Jr? Dude is wasting prime years of his career shackled to a dog turd in New Japan and is stale as hell there. A move back to the States would be good for him and be another big get who isn't an ex-WWE guy.

I doubt Sabre ever lived in the States - though promos of him moaning about having to live there would probably be pretty funny.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

ZSJ worked the first WWE Cruiserweight tournament, too. 

I'd move heaven and earth to sign him, but that's just me. 

Yes. I wasn't claiming, obviously, that ZSJ hadn't visited the USA. But I don't think he has ever actually resided there. If you look at cagematch you will see periods of him spending a few weeks at a time in the US, sure, but nothing that suggests he was actually living there.

I suppose theoretically he wouldn't have to live there to work for AEW anyway, as PAC seems to live in the UK.

I get the impression he likes working/living in Japan though, so not sure he's leaving New Japan.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

18 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Please play "ruby soho" in full!  we need the whole song for effectiveness! This could be the womens divisions "judas".

Yes! The actual intro to the song seems perfect for an entrance theme, even if you did a quick cut into the chorus after it, they need to add that intro in. Speaking of themes, Hayter’s is a banger.

I’ve liked Ruby’s presentation but the match reminded me I was never high on her from what I saw in WWE, solid enough but not particularly interesting. A new finisher would be a start, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that kick look very impactful. At least ditch the arm wringer and try to do it more Satomura-like

I liked the quick women’s promo follow-up to the battle Royale, short and effective. Along with the aftermath of Ruby’s match it feels like the division is finally getting a bit of depth in stories/characters, rather than them spinning their wheels on Dark with rare Dynamite appearances thrown in.

I’ve said it before, but Pillman needs to ditch the mullet, it’s such a bad look for a face. The Blondes whole look generally is so dated that it almost feels like it should be a heel thing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kev said:

I’ve said it before, but Pillman needs to ditch the mullet, it’s such a bad look for a face. The Blondes whole look generally is so dated that it almost feels like it should be a heel thing.

Gen Zers brought mullets back tho.

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Gen Zers brought mullets back tho.

Am I out of touch? No, it’s the children who are wrong.

Either way, he looks far too sleazy to be an otherwise fairly vanilla up and coming, fiery babyface.

51 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m glad Adam Cole is in AEW, and around Britt. The closer he is to the company, the closer Tony can be to shoot him point blank in the head.

C'mon, man.  You've watched enough indy wrestling to know he would just no-sell the spot.

19 hours ago, Hector said:

This episode was kind of meh. Dustin/Black was alright but I wish Black was more aggressive with his offense. Hobbs/Martin was fun but kind of exposed both guys a little bit. MJF's shitty attempt at a Heatwave promo was awful. It was like watching Ron Funches cut a tough guy promo. Mox/Suzuki was just a speedrun of whatever they had planned. I did like Mox's knock out shots in the finishing stretch so that's something at least.

Here you go:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Oh, I know that wasn't their mindset. That's my dig at @NoFistsJustFlips-- hopefully it isn't too condescending.

But thinking that the viewer at home should "do the work" is just beyond stupid, since I'm going to do the work during the commercials. Make it fucking as easy as possible for me to watch your show and know what I should expect. 

No, that's a pretty fair shot I'll allow it lol.

All I'm saying is this is a wrestling bubble talking point that doesn't exist in regular episodic TV. Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sons Of Anarchy, Dexter... whatever the episodic TV show is they reward viewers that pay attention. They don't hold anyone's hand and explain why you need to pay attention to whoever. Like Game of Thrones didn't role a clip show to people tuning into the last season to explain who Gendry is while Arya is trying to bang him. They did a recap before the show. If that isn't enough, it's on you to figure it out. And I'm in that boat as well. Sometimes there are things I don't remember and I look it up.

AEW already did that opening video. They did a recap of All Out. They did show Suzuki. They talked about him being a multi time world champion. Punk put over he was trained by Karl Gotch. JR put over how surly he is. His name plate had 4 time world champion and New Japan legend. If you need more than that then this isn't the product for you. They aren't gonna slow down to the slowest person's cognitive function (that's not you, I'm meaning in general) and make everyone go at that pace. If that's what you enjoy you won't find it in AEW.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
wrong tense on my banging joke
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Mox & King vs Suzuki Gun @ Arthur Ashe????

I'm still hopeful for a Kingston TV title win at Arthur Ashe so I'd say do the tag on Rampage or something and then do a Suzuki/Mox rubber match at Ashe.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

ZSJ worked the first WWE Cruiserweight tournament, too. 

I'd move heaven and earth to sign him, but that's just me. 

Preach! ZSJ/Bryan (or Garcia, anyone really)is what I’ve been salivating for since the forbidden door was ‘BLASTED OPEN~‘.

Good to see the women drawing big, though it wasn’t the smoothest of matches. And TK gets to make it up to the diehards and will probably play the whole bloody song when Suzuki enters just to make sure he gives the people what they want.

Yes it was an overfilled show, they’re probably being a bit dogmatic over the hometown hero being so heavily featured at the expense of a better holistic storytelling approach. But fuck it, everyone’s just been stuck at home for a year, starved of live wrestling, I don’t begrudge them for wanting to bring a party to wherever they go on this comeback tour.
Im happy to see some new and different views here, but find it very hard to nitpick as much when it’s such a thrill ride and a happy place to come into each week, with all the positive intent in the world.

• Like 5

This was a weird show in that the moments delivered but the wrestling was off. Soho-Hayter was dreadful and even dangerous at times, listening to the announcers go into overdrive trying to explain botched moves was painful ("I think that was a flatliner...maybe...what do you think?"). At times it almost looked like Nia-Charlotte from a couple weeks back with a couple wrestlers who maybe weren't cooperating, maybe that's a little too harsh but what I saw looked bad. Mox-Suzuki was clearly short on time but it also looked off. There were a couple times where they clearly hit each other with something and then no-sold it not in a Strong-style way but in a "Wait, was that supposed to be a hit or a miss way?" like when Suzuki kicked Moxley clearly connected on the kick but Moxley held onto it as the announcers tried to sell a block or when Moxley hit a clothesline and Suzuki just kind of stood there and put him in a waistlock. 

But the Danielson debut was good. The Cole debut was very good (Such a good way of turning the crowd who had popped for his return against him: go after beloved Tony Schiavone!). The Punk segment was good (I'm a little meh on him feuding with Team Taz). Even the Top Team stuff seemed to hit pretty well. 

But I actually really loved the announcing tonight. Taz planting seeds for his outburst against Punk with his questioning of Schiavone about Punk earlier in the show. Schiavone delivering maybe the line of the night when Taz asked how he could hate MJF ("Because he suuucks") only for Taz to maybe outdo him by telling JR that he was his grandma's favourite referee (Did he also ask afterwards if the refs wore shirts back in those days? I rewound it twice but couldn't quite hear). Even JR was super into everything and even if his references are super dated ("He's moving kinda slow...at the junction!") a more dialed-in JR is way more fun.

Also, super bummed The Butcher wasn't on tonight!

8 hours ago, A_K said:

Aside - Adam Cole looks like an absolute star. Top charisma. Small but so was Napoleon: he’d make a good psychopathic scheming little Bonaparte. A lot in his mannerisms that remind of late 90s Triple H more than Shawn actually.

Fun fact, but Napoleon was not actually short. His height was measured by a military physician as 5 pieds 2 pouces. English political cartoonists took that at face value assuming that the French pouce was the same as the Imperial inch, but the pouce was actually slightly longer than the inch. They went wild with depicting him as tiny and it became the gospel. Adjusting it to Imperial, his height was actually about 5 foot 6 inches, certainly not tall but right in line with the average European male height of the time (about 5'7").

Just goes to show that if something is repeated often enough, it eventually becomes the truth.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Fun fact, but Napoleon was not actually short. His height was measured by a military physician as 5 pieds 2 pouces. English political cartoonists took that at face value assuming that the French pouce was the same as the Imperial inch, but the pouce was actually slightly longer than the inch. They went wild with depicting him as tiny and it became the gospel. Adjusting it to Imperial, his height was actually about 5 foot 6 inches, certainly not tall but right in line with the average European male height of the time (about 5'7").

Just goes to show that if something is repeated often enough, it eventually becomes the truth.

Interesting! 5 7 is still pretty small by our standards .. but certainly some good trivia comparative to his day!

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Speaking of Excalibur digging into the pwg bag, he's just only recently started using the "15%" gimmick for the Bucks when they hit each other, right? 

He’s been doing it pretty much since AEW started but the Bucks were faces for most of the past two years so they wouldn’t hit each other that often.