DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Or maybe AEW just isn't for you? I don't mean that to sound as condescending as it does. But me personally, I can not stand how WWE beats their viewers over the head about every single thing as if we're all first time viewers. So I love AEW not doing constant replays and doing things in hopes of keeping someone new that just clicked the wrong number on the remote. Plus we're in the digital age now. If you wanted to know more about Suzuki, take 10 seconds and type his name into a google search on your phone. At this point you not knowing about him is due to your own laziness, not AEW's presentation. The TV industry does a quick episode recap at the beginning episode. AEW did that. They did the quick recap of what happened at All Out. Beyond that if you have a question it's not out of the realm of possibility to assume you're smart enough to do a google search. Just like if I tuned into Breaking Bad season 4 episode 1 for the first time and wanted to know who Gale Boetticher was (like I just had to do to get the correct spelling).

I think we should be fair to Gregg since he's a new viewer and keep in mind that filling people in on someone's history has been something he has harped on for years now. I remember him doing that a ton with the NXT threads. Right or wrong, it's something that scratches an itch for him. Personally, I don't agree and like you I think we're more than capable of doing the research ourselves, but there is probably a goldilocks zone where you can do a little bit of dabbling with presenting someone's history and why they're a big deal and all of that. I mentioned doing the NJPW history videos that are on YouTube. That would probably help a ton. The one problem is, you're relying on NJPW willing to give up pieces of their video library and that's not always going to be possible.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Goodear said:

To be fair, a match where Hobbs gets his bell rung is likely not going to be his best opportunity to showcase his talents but let’s not ignore @Greggulators criticism that Hobbs does a lot of sneering in between his moves.

I would argue that the wider issue I have with the stereotypical “indy worker” is that they place a high value on athletics and ignore the more nuanced stuff like facials. And while Hobbs does lean on two main facial expressions (his sneer and his big toothy grin) I would say his pacing is far more productive than going move to move. I don’t often feel like they are misplaced in a match’s context but I could see how someone could look at it as spamming. 
One of the things I love about Hobbs is that he makes his stuff matter and let’s it settle after he nails someone. He’s not typically in a rush and he also doesn’t go in for overkill. He’s got his spots he does super well and doesn’t reach to do stuff he can’t do. 
Honestly  lot of my admiration for Hobbs comes from him being smart in that he knew how to get other people over when he was Dark enhancement talent, get himself over when he started working those types of matches and is now really solid as Team Tazz’s muscle. One thing that separates him from someone like Brian Cage is that Hobbs is able to develop a chemistry with Hook and Starks that solidifies their team structure. 

I liked that match and Hobbs looks like he's got a ton of potential. It's the first time I've seen him. He's got a great look and good presence. It's just that the permanent sneer really stood out to me.  Hopefully he'll figure out the more emotive/acting part of a match and using facial expressions and etc. 

And the "indy worker" stuff on athletics going over things like how to show different emotions with facial expressions and body language and etc. is so spot-on. There's more to selling beyond "I have to limp now."

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Or maybe AEW just isn't for you? I don't mean that to sound as condescending as it does. But me personally, I can not stand how WWE beats their viewers over the head about every single thing as if we're all first time viewers. So I love AEW not doing constant replays and doing things in hopes of keeping someone new that just clicked the wrong number on the remote. Plus we're in the digital age now. If you wanted to know more about Suzuki, take 10 seconds and type his name into a google search on your phone. At this point you not knowing about him is due to your own laziness, not AEW's presentation. 

Actually, I did do a Google search for him during the commercial break. And then since I'm an addict I spent the next few minutes looking at other stuff on my phone until the show started again. 

"Hey, person at home who is a consumer! Ignore the advertisements that pay our bills because we didn't think to put together a 30-second package to promote the thing we want you to see the most!" 

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

"Hey, person at home who is a consumer! Ignore the advertisements that pay our bills because we didn't think to put together a 30-second package to promote the thing we want you to see the most!" 

I highly doubt that was their mindset and I don't think that's exactly fair.

Just now, Craig H said:

I highly doubt that was their mindset and I don't think that's exactly fair.

Oh, I know that wasn't their mindset. That's my dig at @NoFistsJustFlips-- hopefully it isn't too condescending.

But thinking that the viewer at home should "do the work" is just beyond stupid, since I'm going to do the work during the commercials. Make it fucking as easy as possible for me to watch your show and know what I should expect. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

Oh, I know that wasn't their mindset. That's my dig at @NoFistsJustFlips-- hopefully it isn't too condescending.

But thinking that the viewer at home should "do the work" is just beyond stupid, since I'm going to do the work during the commercials. Make it fucking as easy as possible for me to watch your show and know what I should expect. 

Again though, they did, at All Out. I'm not sure how hard doing the work is too because phones are practically permanent attachments on people these days. Also, why the concern for not watching commercials? That's a weird hill to die on. You could watch this Expedia commercial for the umpteenth time or you could look something up on your phone, not to mention going to take a leak, getting a water or a snack, putting something away, etc.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I liked that match and Hobbs looks like he's got a ton of potential. It's the first time I've seen him. He's got a great look and good presence. It's just that the permanent sneer really stood out to me.  Hopefully he'll figure out the more emotive/acting part of a match and using facial expressions and etc. 

And the "indy worker" stuff on athletics going over things like how to show different emotions with facial expressions and body language and etc. is so spot-on. There's more to selling beyond "I have to limp now."

The sneer seems intentional- he's done that ever since he's been part of Team Taz.  I think he smiled more as a face?

Edited by alstein

Just finished the show, some random thoughts:

Punk vs Starks and Hobbs? Sign me up baby. Imagine how those two must have felt when Tony Khan casually told them “hey guys, Punk wants you to be his next opponents”, must feel incredible.

During one of the commercial breaks on FITE Tazz said HOOK was pretty much a model and the instant “YASSS” from JR and Tony was hilarious. 

LMAO at The Acclaimed throwing the ice at Griff’s face. What’s with Pillman getting all these singles matches? He has the name but I feel Griff is the better one of that team easily, throw him a bone. 

I like that the Dark Order don’t hold back when they get mad at each other, they’re really brothers beating the shit out of each other and only stop when their sister gets in the way and they all feel bad.

Cole telling Tony to step away from his girl was unexpectedly awesome, he’s very sus. NERD!

Main event was a fun short version of a much more epic match, but I wish Mox would go back to the more spikey version of his finisher because it looks like an anticlimactic suplex now.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was a pretty good show last night.  Yeah, I was surprised MJF got some of what he said on national television , but overall I look forward to MJF/Pillman Jr. Wardlow is gonna be such a huge star when he snaps and beats the crap out of MJF one of these weeks.

One thing last night I thought was neat: Sammy Guevara doing the promo on cards during the PiP like the INXS Mediate video.  I wouldn't want to see it all the time but it felt different and it was nice to have something besides a match in the commercial break.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bold prediction, I don't think WWE will be as impacted as they were in previous years.

On the surface Monday night has a better schedule than in the past. Frankly by mid-season been some real clunkers on Monday.  

I do think the Manning brothers alternative broadcast on ESPN 2 has me majorly interested. I think it could be fun and insightful. During the college football championship, ESPN has a coaches channel that I find fascinating to watch.  

Edited by chriskbrown50
Update

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

One thing last night I thought was neat: Sammy Guevara doing the promo on cards during the PiP like the INXS Mediate video.  I wouldn't want to see it all the time but it felt different and it was nice to have something besides a match in the commercial break.

He used to do that every week pre-pandemic and a few times after the pandemic I think.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He used to do that every week pre-pandemic and a few times after the pandemic I think.

Ah, gotcha, I hadn't seen it before.

E: OK, yes, Suzuki-gun vs Mox and King please.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 12

53 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You're welcome.

Cody Rhodes Pantsed GIFs | Tenor

Damn it feels good to be elite.

Suzuki-gun vs. Kingston and Moxley would be delightful. Glad it wasn't a one off and he's going to be around hopefully as long as he's stateside. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Suzuki-Gun, how long until AEW can make a move for Zack Sabre Jr? Dude is wasting prime years of his career shackled to a dog turd in New Japan and is stale as hell there. A move back to the States would be good for him and be another big get who isn't an ex-WWE guy.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I just realized Jake Hager hasn't had a one on one match since his June 6th MMA bout with Wardlow. He did wrestle on July 7th at Road Rager against the Pinnacle and I saw him after Jericho beat MJF at All Out - but there's another guy who I haven't seen in a hot minute. Does he still have that fight with Fedor coming up? If so, I could see him out training for that, but was just wondering.

That was just wishful thinking but isn't actually happening, Fedor's fighting Timothy Johnson next month. I don't believe Hager has another fight officially announced/lined up yet.  I'd like to see more of him in AEW

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eikerir said:

LMAO at The Acclaimed throwing the ice at Griff’s face. What’s with Pillman getting all these singles matches? He has the name but I feel Griff is the better one of that team easily, throw him a bone. 

Griff seems like such a longer term project that they don't really trust yet. Pillman usually is tasked with the majority of the ring time as well as the finishes for the Varsity Blondes. Garrison is pretty much locked into the hot tag run but not a whole lot else. I'd personally be totally fine with them changing up the Blondes formula personally every so often as both have upside but Pillman seems to eat a lot of the pins.