DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

It feels like they've been slow burning Wardlow turning on MJF for a while with MJF berating him and Wardlow giving him the "I could snap you in half" look.  At least as far back as Cody beating Wardlow in the cage.

All the in-ring stuff felt just a little off to me tonight, like folks weren't really on the same page.  That said I enjoyed most of Dustin/Black and Hobbs/Martin.  Hobbs catching the dive and slamming him into the ringpost was a sick spot.

Still don't dig the Elite, but having everyone they've pissed off finally realize that they can team up is some good, logical booking.

I thought they were gonna do the HBK/Diesel thing where the third time MJF hit Wardlow, big man was gonna orbit him. But then covid.

Not a bad show. I think it’s funny that less than 72 hrs after a weekend of Twitter discourse about the lack of black male stars they’ve signed Lee Moriarty and had a feature spot for Hobbs & Martin. Good for all those guys, & I hope TK continues the course correction.

I dig what Malakai Black is doing. He should’ve waited for Dustin to stagger to his feet & then kicked him again. That finish was bad. Real bad.

Punk was serious about working the young guys, huh? Punk & Starks will rule ass. 

I love Ruby Soho. She seems so genuinely surprised at the welcome she’s gotten. When she was released, her former coworkers in wwe all had stories relating what a wonderful human she is. I’m happy for her to come in in this spot. 

This was the exact right amount of Young Bucks that any AEW show should have moving forward. Perfect.

Looking forward to the big multi man in Arthur Ashe.

that MJF segment was abhorrent. I’m sure everything was approved ahead of time, but it still felt icky. Glad for the VBlondes to get this opportunity against Wardlow & the Bucks.

About 5 minutes after I thought to myself “damn, I guess the Pinnacle are done,” the Pinnacle get a win. Spears/Allin might be fun.

Mox currently and will always rule ass. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This is the second time they've run Dynamite and Rampage on the same night, right? Last time, two weeks ago, had to be one of the worst episodes in the company's run and tonight it felt like they over compensated by packing in too much. I'm much happier with this though and was a little worried after that last time. 

They really need to perfect the formula, there will be alot of Dynamite/Rampage double taping in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, I get they wanted to do some thing with Pillman in Cincinnati.  But all they had to do was cut out the ECW-lite stuff at the end, do a tiny bit of cheap heat/fan service and a sucker punch.  Hometown dude still looks good, heel's a sniveling shit and feud's setup just fine.  AND it would have allowed them to go full "Kaze ni Nare".  I mean I really liked the show but that was a huge misstep.  I mean it's not the worst thing in the world but at the same time if you're having a Japanese legend where the entrance is a big part of him then just let it happen.

But again I really liked the show despite that.  New season's kicking in so I knew it'd be promo-heavy this time.  And we had one helluva Hobbs/Dante match which make Hobbs especially look king-sized.  I'm so beyond ready for him against Punk.

And yes, I know they could have trimmed time for the Elite segment, I don't disagree on that at all.  But if this is one step close to Omega/Danielson at Arthur Ashe then sign me the fuck up.

Seriously the NJPW/AEW fans I know - this is the most livid they've been with AEW.  They're not going to turn on the promotion over this, but they really wanted to chant it at their TVs.

For Wardlow, I smell something a lot like Luger's post-Horseman face turn.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also: For all the extra stuff they cut for people to talk, you couldn't give 15 seconds for MiSu to say something crazy and subtitle it? I mean look up above and see the shit that comes out of his mouth! Air it in front of the crowd! 

20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Minoru Suzuki great at that. Remember MiSu saying "I hope people get hit by a car." Suzuki is one of my favourite promos.

Found it:

E-zsfuAXMAMjSle?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I'd be perfectly fine with never seeing MJF again. He's so-so in the ring and the only promos he can cut are either worked shoots or cheap heat. If he is either unwilling or incapable of mixing up what he does, then I'll just go do something else during his segments when I'm watching live or skip past them when watching via DVR. (Or, ideally for me personally, he'll go to Dark, which I don't watch.)

The rest of the show was okay to good. Hobbs catching Martin the way he did made me jump out of my seat. I would like more Jamie Hayter as well, please.

30 minutes ago, Jiji said:

@christopher.anninoI thought the crowd was very hot and certainly stronger than the second half of All Out. Maybe it's because I watch dynamite with 5.1 source and the ppv was stereo though? 

Okay cool, yeah I'm in a miniscule-yet-somehow-expensive hotel room in lower Manhattan for the night and the TV sound isn't spectacular so I'm happy to hear others have got a better experience!

• Like 2

Ruby Soho is a perfect wrestling name for that character. She is an awesome face, too. I thought she may have gotten a stinger from the way she was selling her neck after that match. (Please day she was selling.) 

I was a huge fan of her NXT and Riot Squad stuff. They did a lot of fun stuff after when they reformed and Ruby was trying to make amends with Liv on YouTube. Ruby can act a little bit between that stuff and her dope video she put out last week. She’s clearly not faking the punk fandom but she knows how to make that work in storytelling. So excited to see what she can do.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I don't think there are any heels better on the mic than MJF right now.

Dan Lambert, not kidding. He could maybe slow his delivery down a bit but like all good heel promos there's a kernel of truth in what he says and he gets the crowd so riled up, it's great.

MJF... I don't know if it's the Rosie O'Donnell thing or the song and dance with Jericho thing clouding my feelings, but he comes across to me as a musical theatre kinda guy trying desperately to be tough. Does he have a background in theatre, I've no idea.

• Like 3

Hobbs with the Harlem Heat gear, going Full Stevie Ray was dope.  I absolutely looked passed Punk-Hobbs and went straight to Starks-Punks and giggled. What an exciting back and forth those two will have.

Jim Ross seemed tipsy or tired.  at the beginning saying 'hyper bowl' was hilarious and hopefully intentional. 

Dante Martin is AEWs 1-2-3 kid.  who will be his razor ramon?

Loved MJF channeling Bubba Ray Dudley tonight, but wished it would have been used to get Wardlow (who is also from Ohio) to finally snap and have enough, turning face.  that has to be around the corner though, so ill be patient.

Please play "ruby soho" in full!  we need the whole song for effectiveness! This could be the womens divisions "judas".

Gotta say, if FTR are the Brain Busters, would love to see the Varsity Blondes play Strike Force. 

Cocky American Dragon is dope, i missed him a lot. Who humbles him, besides someone like CM Punk?  Take my money Punk-Danielson and Page-Omega double header!  take it, All.

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 2

Wow, that was an all time bad segment with MJF. Getting no reaction for his childish insults, then Pillman stumbling over his words... 

Did I miss it here in the thread, or did they really cut Minoru Suzukis theme short? I don't know, maybe I am the only one who noticed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Swift said:

Dan Lambert, not kidding. He could maybe slow his delivery down a bit but like all good heel promos there's a kernel of truth in what he says and he gets the crowd so riled up, it's great.

MJF... I don't know if it's the Rosie O'Donnell thing or the song and dance with Jericho thing clouding my feelings, but he comes across to me as a musical theatre kinda guy trying desperately to be tough. Does he have a background in theatre, I've no idea.

I forgot about Lambert, his segments have consistently been great and tonight was no exception. I like how he's more or less channeling Jim Cornette.