DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

So clearly Hobbs got a gnarly concussion on that dive, yeah? His head bounced badly on the floor. Took forever to get back in the ring. Was out of place and falling about. Ref & Dante talking to him to call what was left. He forgot to cover on the spinebuster because he was so loopy. Trust me dude, I've been there a bunch. All things considered they kept it from going off the rails. That's a big plus for two guys as inexperienced as they are.

Yeah, absolutely. Lights were on but nobody was home. They did well with it I guess. Sucks as they had a rad match up until then. 

Hayter looks like a killer. I would've liked a little more to beat her. Both this and the Hobbs matches had some really good action in the PIP. FITE airing gotta be the definitive version of Dynamite. Hobbs hucked Martin between the top and middle ropes from the outside. Great job featuring all this young talent on a big show. 

Timing was def off on the main with the rushed entrance. It could've used another 3-5 minutes but they crushed what they were given. Suzuki with the bloody cross over his eye was an amazing visual. 

Punk isn't ready for Hook. Don't go barking up the wrong tree, brudda.

Danielson is ready for Omega. Gimme that shit in Arthur Ashe Stadium! I could see them doing a multiman tag in there instead. Let's see. 

Great show. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Also if we're all going to go and get upset about Caster's poor-taste rap, how the fuck do you let making fun of somebody's mother's drug addiction slide and then top it off with saying she should have aborted her son? Seriously, gross cheap fucking heat. 

I'm not a fan of comparing one shitty thing to another as it opens up certain things that muddy the initial argument.  But yeah two shitty things should be addressed appropriately.  Max's was addressed (whether sufficiently or not is for another thread) though there's multiple moving parts when considering MJF's promo.  Of course one is MJF but the other is whoever backstage signed off on it plus a tiny bit goes to Pillman Jr for I'm assuming agreeing to it.  It's one of things where I'm hoping they realize it was a fail and either not do stuff like that or find more time-efficient (and better) ways to get the job done.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are we sure it's Bryan/Omega for New York?    it could be Cody/Black main eventing which just..... let's hope not 

I wouldn't rush Bryan/Omega. I'd go with a multi-man match with the Elite vs. Bryan, Christian, Kazarian, Jurassic Express.

• Like 2

This was the first time I watched AEW live. So there are some specific thoughts and some more general ones about the presentation.

The Dustin vs. Malakai Black match was eh. Black has never done anything for me. Completely forgettable. Except of course for JR nearly making me throw a shoe through my TV when he said something about the story they are telling. Come on, man... And also he really needs to cool it on Wardlow. It is clear they are setting up his big turn against MJF and “flunkie gets sick of his boss” is a time honored angle and a card they know they can play whenever they want. But what the hell is the point of the story if JR is already going on about how he is the franchise? His big win over MJF is then expected. A loss buries him. 

A lot of the younger wrestlers have the same kind of acting and reacting thing where they are more playing as a wrestling heel as opposed to organically being in character and reacting as a heel. A good example of this was when the one dude did the whole sort of Angry Facebook Rant guy with his two flunkies behind him. They tried so hard to be smug and douchey but it was pretty forced. Or the young big dude Punk is going to fight — there was a lot of “here is where I snarl!” sort of things. That sort of stuff is why I never got as into indie wrestling as everyone else. 

That MJF promo was the biggest example of this. On paper, he is my favorite wrestler. Rich evil obnoxious masterminds are why I got into wrestling. But it was clear that he saw The Dudley Boys promo and decided to follow that template to try and start a riot and get Pillman’s kid over in front of the home crowd. All of that is really great. But it would have been so much more effective if it just was slower — MJF whines about losing to Jericho, let’s the You Tapped Out chants get to him and then in reaction to that he starts calling women in the crowd 16 And Pregnant and insulting the Pullman family. But the way it was played was just really forced. And if time was an issue, they could have done a quick 10-second cutaway to explain who was in the crowd to set up the payoff later on rather than to try and shoehorn that into an already too long CM Punk promo. 

I sound really critical. I mean, it was a fun show. Ruby Soho is a killer name and she is great. Britt Baker might be the most entertaining wrestler in the world from the past few years. FTR rule and I forgot how much they rule and they have Tully. I like Shawn Spears. It is fun seeing Bryan Danielson. I am sure I will get sick of Adam Cole like I did in NXT but I did laugh when he kept on calling Tony a nerd like some 7th grade jock bully. I will never get the appeal of The Elite in general and The Young Bucks in particular.  But Daniel and Kenny and both with backup is going to be fun.  

Main event was a good way to show a fun experience with Mox as the hometown hero and the Major League singalong. Nothing major, just a really stiff brutal match, with Mox winning in front of his people. Keep it simple.

Good times. I just wish a lot of the acting/performing side was polished.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Junior Pillman wasn’t up to the task tonight.  

Definitely doesn't have his dad's chops on the mic, but I remember him being better in that regard as a slimeball heel in MLW with Teddy and DBS Jr. The MJF stuff is fine in small doses but man that was some fucking heinous shit he spewed. Looking forward to Wardog whooping his ass. 

@christopher.anninoI thought the crowd was very hot and certainly stronger than the second half of All Out. Maybe it's because I watch dynamite with 5.1 source and the ppv was stereo though? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wouldn't rush Bryan/Omega. I'd go with a multi-man match with the Elite vs. Bryan, Christian, Kazarian, Jurassic Express.

That would be good as Bryan's 1st match in AEW..    have him pin one of the other members of the Elite or something.  Crowd would be hot for it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are we sure it's Bryan/Omega for New York?    it could be Cody/Black main eventing which just..... let's hope not 

Cody is a Real Star and a TNT darling. It's his world. 

Edit: holy shit, guys. We get it, they fucked up with the pacing. Let's move on with our lives. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

A lot of the younger wrestlers have the same kind of acting and reacting thing where they are more playing as a wrestling heel as opposed to organically being in character and reacting as a heel. A good example of this was…the young big dude Punk is going to fight — there was a lot of “here is where I snarl!” sort of things. That sort of stuff is why I never got as into indie wrestling as everyone else. 

GET HIS ASS @Goodear

Also: For all the extra stuff they cut for people to talk, you couldn't give 15 seconds for MiSu to say something crazy and subtitle it? I mean look up above and see the shit that comes out of his mouth! Air it in front of the crowd! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was, but they both bailed. Keep in mind, I got these tickets in February of last year. As it stands, I've got two extra floor seats to sell.

Damn bro....I wish I could join you at the show. Hope you get other friends to come with you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I liked some seeds of dissention between MJF and Wardlow being planted. Whatever crowd gets it live is going to explode when Wardlow turns on MJF. 

It feels like they've been slow burning Wardlow turning on MJF for a while with MJF berating him and Wardlow giving him the "I could snap you in half" look.  At least as far back as Cody beating Wardlow in the cage.

All the in-ring stuff felt just a little off to me tonight, like folks weren't really on the same page.  That said I enjoyed most of Dustin/Black and Hobbs/Martin.  Hobbs catching the dive and slamming him into the ringpost was a sick spot.

Still don't dig the Elite, but having everyone they've pissed off finally realize that they can team up is some good, logical booking.

6 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I don’t know about Pillman Jr. on the mic. He had the benefit of the best heel in the promotion going nuclear on his city and his entire family, and that was the best promo he could muster.

I wasn’t that familiar with Hayter before, but she is a star. They must be exploring their options as far as a tag team or secondary belt for the women’s division because their cup runneth over with talent right now. 

He looked a little nervous but I think it might have been his first live promo. I’m sure he’ll get better with more experience. Also, I assume they’re just feeding him to MJF to build MJF back up, so it’s not that big of a deal.

I thought Malakai vs Dustin was a good opener. I like that Dustin jump started the match like that—shouldn’t be feeling out a guy when he’s attacked a member of your family.

I’m pretty excited about the prospect of Team Taz vs CM Punk feud. The Taz promo was a little awkward—I don’t understand why Taz wouldn’t want his guys to take out a top guy. CM Punk using Taz’s catch phrase was good though.

I hope Hobbs isn’t out long if he was concussed.

Britt Baker’s “why don’t you run away back to catering where you were for the last 4 years” was line of the night.

I liked Adam Cole getting heat by doing the jealous boyfriend thing with Tony.

Dan Lambert is great at getting heat. I’m interested to see where they’re going with that.

AEW should see if they could work out a deal to loan out some of their more green guys to New Japan to get Minoru Suzuki for an extended run. This guy is awesome and I wouldn’t mind seeing him in AEW for the next 6 months.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Also if we're all going to go and get upset about Caster's poor-taste rap, how the fuck do you let making fun of somebody's mother's drug addiction slide and then top it off with saying she should have aborted her son? Seriously, gross cheap fucking heat. 

Oh he'd been working on that one all week

Edited by bink_winkleman
tweet
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also: For all the extra stuff they cut for people to talk, you couldn't give 15 seconds for MiSu to say something crazy and subtitle it? I mean look up above and see the shit that comes out of his mouth! Air it in front of the crowd! 

Minoru Suzuki great at that. Remember MiSu saying "I hope people get hit by a car." Suzuki is one of my favourite promos.

Also: Producing a live TV show within the confines of a scheduled amount of time is really f’n hard. The freedom people have in saying what they want in promos is great... but it is not so great when people go over the amount of time in their segments. That is something that is going to take them ages to figure out.

35 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm super excited about next week in Newark, but also really nervous. If there's a time I'm going to relapse, it's going to happen when I'm in Newark. 

Know you've looked forward to this for a while. Stay strong and keep on going, matey!

• Thanks 1

This is the second time they've run Dynamite and Rampage on the same night, right? Last time, two weeks ago, had to be one of the worst episodes in the company's run and tonight it felt like they over compensated by packing in too much. I'm much happier with this though and was a little worried after that last time. 

• Like 1