DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Everyone, when they have matches, gets time. I would expect it to go through a commercial. 

This doesn't feel like a particularly strong follow up to a strong show. If they wanted to capitalize on the momentum of the PPV, they would make sure they have matched announced in order to highlight new talent and deal with the fallout. Moxley v Susuki and Soho v Jamie do that to some extent but I would think they need to break out big guns for the purpose of keeping eyes on the product.

5 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Everyone, when they have matches, gets time. I would expect it to go through a commercial. 

This doesn't feel like a particularly strong follow up to a strong show….

In what universe is Moxley/Suzuki not a strong follow up to any show?

• Like 7

AEW has an audience that is super tied into the wrestling bubble that will love them some Moxley/Suzuki. Those are the people that turn in every week already. You are trying to capture the people that heard about all the awesome stars that turned up at All Out and keep them hooked on your product going forward. Those people that turned into Rampage for CM Punk and didn't come back the following week. Those people will not know who Karl Gotch is or have any idea Pancrase exists. Now, they might see Suzuki and see an awesome bastard and be happy about that but the likely thing is that they are turning in to see all these cool people that they already know and love. I say feed that and convert them to regular viewers.

• Like 1

Reminder - Almost all post-PPV shows are a bit of a cool down show as they reset and begin to establish midterm feuds and angles and longer term ones to pay off at the next PPV. This however feels like one of the bigger ones with Moxley vs MiSu, Punk likely starting his next thing which may just be Sting/Darby/Punk vs 2.0 and Garcia, hearing from Cole and Danielson, Ruby's first singles match in AEW, AND Dustin vs Black, which should be pretty fucking awesome.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

At some point here soon they’ll have to do something with Hobbs’s #3 ranking (holy shit imagine a Miro match) and it’s gonna kick all the ass.

Good God. All the beef.

• Like 6

I'm officially done with this "the casuals won't get it" bullshit talking point. If you're watching AEW, you're gonna take what they got and if you don't like it there's plenty of people to take your place. And in no world is a card with (and I'll keep the descriptions as basic as possible)

- a huge WWE star vs. a huge Japanese star

- a brand new WWE star vs. an up and coming talent 

- a classic WWE star vs. a former WWE star

combined with the appearances of THREE OTHER WWE STARS after A GIANT PPV NOT something "casual fans" would watch. 

And for the already-fans, it's a show with Dustin Rhodes on it so you better be tuning in anyway. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eikerir said:

Also, not announced but I assume WE WILL HEAR from Bryan/Cole/Punk tonight!

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Their Twitter currently has Punk speaking LIVE while we'll get "fallout" from All Out where the other two made their deubts. 

Wonderful news: They've upgraded the situation from "fallout" to "hear from...LIVE." 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm officially done with this "the casuals won't get it" bullshit talking point. If you're watching AEW, you're gonna take what they got and if you don't like it there's plenty of people to take your place. And in no world is a card with (and I'll keep the descriptions as basic as possible)

- a huge WWE star vs. a huge Japanese star

- a brand new WWE star vs. an up and coming talent 

- a classic WWE star vs. a former WWE star

combined with the appearances of THREE OTHER WWE STARS after A GIANT PPV NOT something "casual fans" would watch. 

And for the already-fans, it's a show with Dustin Rhodes on it so you better be tuning in anyway. 

Capturing the bump of audience you are going to get from the PPV should be job one. Any of this talk about this being a bullshit talking point ignores what's happened every other time AEW got a bump and didn't hold it. 

I can't believe I'm the asshole for advocating that they should fire some big guns tonight with their new signees and biggest stars.

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

AEW has an audience that is super tied into the wrestling bubble that will love them some Moxley/Suzuki. Those are the people that turn in every week already. You are trying to capture the people that heard about blahbahblahbahblahblahbah this is the part where I just started staring across my kitchen, looking into the middle distance at nothing in particular

i don't give a fuck i just want to enjoy a wrestling show for fucks sake gaaaahhhhhhhh

I mean I guess if you'd rather talk about how your local steakhouse is doing and worry over whether they can draw the casuals who just want to eat at McDonald's then, cool, you do you, but I just want to eat a fucking steak in peace.

This is why we can't have nice things, guys.  AEW consistently puts out entertaining shows and people are still going to go all concern trolling pearl clutching about how it was a weak show or how they're not drawing the casuals or whatever and I'm getting a god damn aneurysm just thinking about this trifling bullshit. 

ps no diss

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I get that some people don't enjoy discussing audience growth or retention, but... the people using the word "casuals" in here are the people complaining about someone who's not using that word. Putting words in people's mouth doesn't seem like the best way to engage with them. You're free to enjoy your steak without shouting at someone having a conversation three tables away because it offends you to eat in the same restaurant while they have that conversation.

Anyway, the waiter brought me a plate with Chris Jericho on it so I'm sending it back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1