DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 2022: 1/4, 1/5 and 1/8

Archibald

Spoiler

FIVN1SracAMBMjW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Cobb delivered. Really enjoyed that one with Cobb's selling of the leg and his power spots. Surprised it only took one Destino, that came.out of nowhere.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Surreal seeing HIROSHI TANAHASHI in a No Disqualification match vs. KENTA and when consider the condition of the Ace, KENTA as well. Tanahashi's just taken a Falcon Arrow from the top rope on the notorious thick Japanese tables which don't break.

Spoiler

FIVU6MiXMAg_PCw?format=jpg&name=small

Hiroshi Tanahashi wins the biggest High Fly Flow ever from the fucking ladder putting KENTA through a table that actually breaks. Respect to both. Tanahashi is the new IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion. Hope he gets a long reign. Go Ace!

Edited by The Natural

Oh yeah, before the single matches began all of the NOAH guys came out en masse. Kenoh cut a promo but the best part was Mutoh whipping out his phone as Kenoh and Kaito did a dramatic "We're all in this together" handshake so that he could do this:

• Like 3

The problem with two wrestle kingdom shows is two wrestle kingdom shows. Good god that would be spooky sitting in a nosebleed.

Unrelated, Uncle Dave stopped tweeting after the kopw match. Can someone check on him as I have this hilarious visual of him slumped across his keyboard slowly drowning in all those piles of paper and magazines.

Spoiler

Kazuchika Okada defends the horrible IWGP World Heavyweight Championship for the first time against Will Ospreay. Hell of an effort by Okada having back to back matches with Shingo Takagi and Ospreay. I can see Kota Ibushi coming out to challenge Okada post match.

EDIT: It's Tetsuya Naito. I'd prefer that to Okada/Ibushi.

Edited by The Natural

Spoiler

Okada is the undisputed king again and wow, what a way to do it with two incredible main events. Say what you want about the belt or Ospreay, that one had me on the edge of my seat. Fucking love Okada.

Had two near heart attacks on this ladder spots in the semi main, but it definitely deliverer. Cobb and Naito had a banger too.

The Stardom tag was the highlight of the undercard, I'm not familiar with any of the wrestlers but really enjoyed what they did. The junior tag was a lot of fun too, a super fun spot sprint (and ELP finally getting his comeuppance). 

Suzuki winning KOPW gives me hope of UWF/Pancrase rules down the line.

Hope Inoki's health improves by the anniversary show, it just feels like the time to embrace the history now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:
  Hide contents

What a calll. Never got the Will Ospreay or Marty Scurll hype. Ospreay's Stormbreaker's shit.

Think it's a bit unfair to compare Ospreay to Scurrl, both in terms of their alleged wrongdoings and as wrestlers. I never got the hype for Scurrl as a wrestler, whereas I love Ospreay the wrestler, and don't think he's irredeemable as a person just a bit of a dick who's very good at leaning into the dickishness as a heel.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Think it's a bit unfair to compare Ospreay to Scurrl, both in terms of their alleged wrongdoings and as wrestlers. I never got the hype for Scurrl as a wrestler, whereas I love Ospreay the wrestler, and don't think he's irredeemable as a person just a bit of a dick who's very good at leaning into the dickishness as a heel.

I should have been more clear I was comparing them for wrestling ability as Brits and not on alleged behaviours. I wasn't a fan of either long before the latter. Apologies for not doing so.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Night 2 felt more like a Wrestle Kingdom with Tetsuya Naito/Jeff Cobb, Hiroshi Tanahashi/KENTA and Kazuchika Okada/Will Ospreay. I was left underwhelmed by Night 1 with the exception of Shingo Takagi/Kazuchika Okada and Katsuyori Shibata/Ren Narita.

Edited by The Natural

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

NSFW:

Reveal hidden contents

FIVsWtsXIAIudxN?format=jpg&name=large

FIVsWtsXoAIm_BW?format=jpg&name=large

I know KENTA was busted open but didn't know he had this bad back gash to go with.

Good lord. I was wondering how the table got all that blood on it. I thought he turned over or something. I don't think there was a clear shot of when or where he got his back cut.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lostinube said:

Good lord. I was wondering how the table got all that blood on it. I thought he turned over or something. I don't think there was a clear shot of when or where he got his back cut.

NSFW:

Spoiler

I thought the same thing. I wonder if the wire frame of the table went into KENTA's back like happened to Hardcore Holly vs. Rob Van Dam in WWE ECW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Expected Suzuki to win the KOPW. He wants to elevate the KOPW to IWGP World HW status.

The shorter matches reminds me of other periods of NJPW where matches could be shorter.

Okada won, so only one top belt now. Naito admitted Okada is the strongest.  Okada wants the fans to cheer again. Okada also wants Mr Inoki to step in the NJPW ring again.

Expect maybe Okada vs Ibushi after Naito.

I don't think it's fair to talk about attendances until covid era is done with. 

Edited by D.Z

Finished night 1. Man, I think some of you may have been overly critical of it. I thought everything after the second trios match was good to great. Even the Ishii vs EVIL match was entertaining enough with all of the interference because it took four guys to beat Ishii and the only help Ishii got was from Yoh. Despy vs Hiromu was good shit with a finish I didn't expect and the main event ruled.

Time to start night 2.

5 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

So give Will a pass because you love his wrestling but not Marty? Got it.