DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/3/21

Jiji

52 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

How dare you. (I'm half-kidding. Taz cared so little it came all the way back around and was hilarious.)

But for real, Taz is by far the best commentator they have. 

Liked Taz on commentary since WWE.

How good was that little hour of wrestling? 

Black looked awesome and now I can’t get the thought of Black vs Miro out of my head as they both seem unstoppable.

REDEEM DEEZ NUTS!

Handicap was weird because Statlander basically dominated the whole match, could have just gone for her vs Rebel for the same result.

Main event was excellent stuff, I could see these guys wrestle forever. Pepsi Twist by Darby and Punk just happy to see it was wholesome. 

2 hour Dynamite and 1 hour Rampage seems like the perfect combo because you never get burnt out and, I don’t know about everybody else, but I can never wait for the next show to come around ASAP.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

Bryan Danielson leading 2.0 and Daniel Garcia in a feud against Punk, Sting and Darby (add someone else to make it even???) is what I want. Garcia is the perfect protege for someone like Bryan, and 2.0 hit all of the notes comedy-wise that Bryan can play off of so well most likely. Plus, Punk does want another match/program with Bryan according to him, so…

Honestly I just want more 2.0 and Garcia on AEW television. All three are just the bee’s knees.

”OUR SON!”

• Like 4

The stuff with Black is incredible, I echo the sentiments that his pacing is tremendous compared to the rest of the AEW style and that Black Mass he hit on Johnson looked nasty.

I do worry that he's going to run through the entire Nightmare Family only to lose decisively to Cody when he comes back.

Also, that Boston Crab(?) variation Statlander used was absolutely awesome....does anyone have a gif/video of that?

• Like 1

Malakai/ Lee + Darby / Garcia both great. More of the sports-based variations promised at the outset of AEW. Works well for Fri night. Mark Henry appears to have great difficulty stringing 3 or 4 words together at times: not a great look for a commentator. Jericho continues to speak with that silly, utterly annoying intonation. 

11 hours ago, DEAN said:

So much wrestling!  I really dig Daniel Garcia.

I can't remember the last time someone went from relative obscurity to the upper end of the card like he has. As young as he is he's got a great future in the business if he keeps putting it together like this. It's another sign of how good AEW tends to be at letting guys get themselves over and pushing people who get the fans interested. Even 2.0, who have just been random indy dudes to me since the 00s have been given the chance to show a ton of personality and drive.

Black has really put it together since debuting. When you've got a more esoteric gimmick like his it's tough to nail it, but he's been given the opportunity to customize his character and promos in order to really convey his story and although his debut wasn't perfect he's been on another level these past few weeks. Dustin brings out the best in everyone so whatever they do is going to be entertaining.

There's not much else I can say about Miro and Kingston being good at every aspect of wrestling. I can't wait for their match.

• Like 3

That was a great go home week of wrestling, and Rampage in particular was outstanding. Showcased an emerging top act (Malakai Black) at the start of show that should be a key player in future PPV's, and then built to three of the big matches on the PPV (Miro-Kingston, Britt-Statlander, and the main event of All Out). It was especially a great night for Kris Statlander, as she looked awesome in that match and won the crowd over enough that she should not get booed out of the building on Sunday against the good doctor (and having strong, over opponents to face Britt will be key as long as she is still functionally a heel). Also, while I'll be disappointed not to see Pac-Andrade in person at All Out, it's good that they will get a featured spot on next week's Rampage (and Rampage gets a PPV level match as main event next week).

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rebel/Reba did the funniest, shittiest Vader Attack in the corner you'll ever see, it was perfect for her character. Also if I had just came back from a dislocated kneecap (IIRC) then I would NOT want to be put in that submission.

The art of having someone wrestle badly on purpose, when doing a "Not a wrestler" gimmick, is an underrated way of getting entertainment value out of your less technical workers. Like how when Abyss became Joseph Park, he was arguably more fun to watch while wrestling as a clueless lawyer who didn't know all of the moves, than he was as a Mankind/ Kane hybrid bloodthirsty monster.

• Like 2

That was a much better showcase for Statlander. I still think they should do something with her character, but just letting her do cool strength spots will help get her over. A couple more showings like that on the main shows, before they announced the title match, would have made it feel a bit hotter.

In general, since Rampage started, it seems the women are getting more time/angles, so hopefully the division should really start to round out.

With Garcia staring down Punk during the main, I was thinking it would be cool to do a ongoing thing where you have all these younger guys wanting to take down Punk. Let him get some reps in and build wins in slightly lower stakes matches, against guys who are at a level where the loss won’t hurt them and they’ll get some shine just from being in with Punk (Acclaimed, Angelico, Pillman Jr, etc.). You could run 1-2 months of different guys calling him out and then build to a slightly bigger name calling him out as his next proper feud.