DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/1/21

Technico Support

Hey guys, there's wrestling tonight!

If I wasn't Proud, then I Wouldn't Be Powerful (AKA THEBESTTHEBESTTHEBEST) vs FTR: If all goes well and nobody almost gets accidentally degloved by a turnbuckle, this should be an absolute banger.  Really hoping PnP win this and then move on to win the belts from The Bucks in NY.

Bucks & Good Brothers vs Jurassic Express & Lucha Brothers: AEW does multiman tags really well and this should be nuts.  I loved how, last week, they eschewed the "babyfaces think other babyfaces hit them and they brawl" bullshit.

Brian Cage vs Powerhouse Hobbs: TWO GUYS WHO COULD MAIN EVENT WRESTLEMANIA PAL.  This should be really fun but god damn, JR might need to go to the hospital for a painful four-hour erection after this.

Tony Schiavne (gets interrupted while he) interviews MJF: We'll be watching the MJF interview pie chart and updating accordingly.  Currently it's 10% really good promo ability, 45% cutesy smarky comments and insider terms, 40% LARPing as an 80s heel rassler, 5% "BUD" mentions.

Tay Conti vs Penelope Ford: Continuing the Tay/Bunny angle and building the battle royal.  Should be better than average as neither of these people will moonsault onto their own heads, probably.  Why doesn't Tay have a finisher called the Tay Breaker?

"We hear from" CM Punk: stretching this shit out like turkey meat to keep viewers coming.  I'm cool with it.

OC vs Jack Evans: two goofy ass dudes.  I'm here for it.

JR interviews Chris Jericho: this has to be a pre-tape, right?  JR won't be able to stand after Cage/Hobbs

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

They dragged and dragged that first LAXVFTR bout to it's actual happening, but I was still stoked.  Disappointment with the first match finish aside I'm gonna try to keep my expectations in check.  But it's gonna be great, yeah!?   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

Crowd was molten for that opening tag. Not a perfect match but damn damn good.

I love that one 2.0 guy who lives in a different universe to everyone else and shouts, points and does the crazy eyes during his promos like this was 1990 WWF.

Btw, 2.0 and Garcia within a month or so have been in the ring with Darby, Sting, Moxley, Kingston and CM Punk. Not bad at all. 

Loved the little promo by Sting putting everyone over and saying he’s gonna step away to not take away any of the attention from Darby/Punk.

Does anyone else gets slightly annoyed when wrestlers wrestle with a T-Shirt on for no reason like Jack Evans tonight? Always comes of as amateur hour in my head. Only exception to this is Kevin Owens, don’t ask me why.

Loved the black and white promo for Darby, great stuff.

Big win for Powerhouse but Cage feels dead in the water, guy is supposed to be a face but has ZERO connection with the fans.

Show lost lots of steam after the hot first 30min. It certainly didn’t need a segment where the freaking Gunn Club turns heel.

Tay Conti looked great and she won with the dreaded Divas Roll Up, but one that actually looked awesome. Holy shit HUGE pop for Anna Jay. Anna?! Anna?!!! 

The Elite looking very Bullet Club-ish tonight. Main event was the crazy and fun match anyone could have expected, this was really really needed as it brought the big energy back to close out the show. I feel we’re definitely getting new tag champs on Sunday since Kenny is retaining.

LMAO at Kenny with black hair, looked like James Mitchell out there. Loved the chaos at the end with everyone trying to climb in, at one point it looked like the box for a toy ring/cage.

rex_176_war_games_P.jpg

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

Man, that show was actually really good until that post match beat down from the Elite. The basic problem remains the same; you have to be at least mildly physically threatening to pull off the characters the Bucks are trying to play, and they just aren’t threatening. Trying to play Hall & Nash when you’re the size of the Mulkey Brothers just doesn’t work. If me saying that bothers some of y’all, that’s fine, but the young bucks will never come off as dangerous or anything else other than the sum total of their backstage positions, and they make every show they’re on worse.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 6

Show MVP was Daniel Garcia for flying headfirst into the ringpost

QT Marshall is now the third most important person in his feud with Paul Wight.

Crowd seemed pretty dead during the go-home angle, but the main event was hot.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

"who do you think you are? I am!" 

That Weber line has now been used on at least 4 different occasions in AEW. I remember when Pillman Jr. randomly busted it out on Dark to Ashley D'Amboise when she was taking on Julia Hart.

• Haha 1

Also, I want it noted for the record that I called the Anna Jay return last week.

I guess Billy’s still mad about when Big Show laughed that time Edge called him “Billy Bitchcakes.” That ruled. The Gunn Club heel turn did not rule.

Opening tag was really good, but I still think those 4 have a better match in them. Maybe best to let it sit a bit and come back to it when Cash is healed up.

2.0 makes me lol. They’ve slotted in so perfectly. Also, I have no idea where Daniel Garcia came from but it’s an indictment on wwe’s developmental system that AEW found him, signed him, and got him on tv in an effective role within six months while Vince is still deciding whether or not he can make money with fucking Keith Lee.

Was kind of expecting Hangman Page to return at the end of the show, but that would’ve meant someone would’ve gotten over at the expense of the EVP’s, and we can’t have that. For all the bitching about Cody, at least he’ll show ass when the time comes. 

• Like 1

Sting being the hype man for Darby Allin vs CM Punk is absolutely wild to me. And it's still so fuckin' weird to see Punk happy and smiling in a wrestling atmosphere. I never thought this day would happen. Gives me chills and makes my eyes water just thinking about it.

• Like 10

Yeah, that was a really fun show until the main, and we had a good time chopping it up in the chat once again. Hobbs, the opening tag, and the dueling Miro/King promos (KRYPTONITES~!) were the highlights. Also, Sting still has the major face energy on the mic, that guy could talk me into watching anything. 

• Like 2