DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Meltzer mentioned on WOR this morning that Full Gear would also likely take place somewhere in the Midwest. If I were to guess, they'll run either the Banker's Life Fieldhouse in Indy, which when seating for wrestling will be around and slightly less than the United Center, or they'll go back to that cool arena in Champaign, IL. I'm hoping for the former just because it's an easier drive for me and parking is pretty good at the Fieldhouse.

I also didn’t put together until he mentioned it, now Full Gear is head to head with the new japan San Jose show, so no more Moxley, the biggest advertised star. I really hope travel restrictions are loosened by then. 

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I saw it for a bit when it was on Game Show network years ago.  From what I gathered it's basically a wacky 70s show where the host was seemingly doing all kinds of stuff and we were seeing that play out on TV.  And to illustrate what I mean here's a clip:

The Gong Show was a variety show competition. They debuted  a number of wacky acts including Richard Elfman's Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo.

Rick would later leave the group to his more musically inclined brother, which would give us this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm mainly familiar with Oingo Boingo due to the song in the second video.  Never saw the music video before though nor their Gong Show performance.  Neat!

As for Elevation it was a rather enjoyable episode.  Caster running in was a nice way to gauge crowd interest without having do a rap.  And it sounds like they missed him so as long barring anything else all's well that ends well for him.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

or they'll go back to that cool arena in Champaign, IL

That is quite literally home town for Khan so it's possible. Plus it's about a 15 minute drive from me! 

We talked about who's left for AEW to snag and the coffers look pretty empty, but Hero is a possibility and that should happen for one reason alone among many:

Eddie Kingston. 

Those two legit hate each other and have been beating on each other for years. It's a built-in feud. It's produced some great matches. If you can keep them from killing each other backstage, getting them together again would be great. 

This is one of the times I'm going to have a double standard, but Hero looks so fucking dumpy and washed up that I have no interest in seeing him on TV ever again. I think he'd look embarrassing on AEW and he'd be in the same position he was in in NXT, which was JTTS. He'd be relegated to Dark duty and that's pointless. The only reason I'd want him in there is if it's as a coach or trainer.

As for the heat between Hero and Eddie, I don't think they hate each other, but it's more of a difference in philosophies and each guy thinking they're more right than the other.

If I'm AEW I'm done with big acquisitions unless a legitimate superstar like Rock, Cena, Brock or any of the horsewomen want to get involved. Otherwise I might add here and there around the edges (I have no idea what Jacob Fatu's MLW situation is, but that's a great example) while continuing to do Forbidden Door one-shot's as a way to maintain the element of surprise appearances. 

This doesn't include an Adam Cole like deal where a slam dunk fit (like, say, Montez Ford) just happens to free up due to corporate negligence.

To use a baseball analogy, AEW is now past trolling the Rule 5 draft and waiver wire and can focus on premium free agents. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

If I'm AEW I'm done with big acquisitions unless a legitimate superstar like Rock, Cena, Brock or any of the horsewomen want to get involved. Otherwise I might add here and there around the edges (I have no idea what Jacob Fatu's MLW situation is, but that's a great example) while continuing to do Forbidden Door one-shot's as a way to maintain the element of surprise appearances. 

This doesn't include an Adam Cole like deal where a slam dunk fit (like, say, Montez Ford) just happens to free up due to corporate negligence.

To use a baseball analogy, AEW is now past trolling the Rule 5 draft and waiver wire and can focus on premium free agents. 

They will likely try their best to bring in Sami Zayn. Don't think they're quite done.

We can always come up with more names that would add value, I think, and hypothetical reasons they might sign. For example: Jay White lives in the US already, hasn't gone back to Japan to quarantine and work for NJPW, and could be a real star in a promotion where he speaks the language (though we don't need any more "remember Bullet Club" drama); Pete Dunne's contract is about to expire, and I don't think it's been reported whether he resigned; Asuka is almost 40, loves streaming, and seems mired in creative purgatory; WWE's Japanese corporate arm dissolving might mean Kairi Hojo is a free agent, and maybe her head injuries have cleared up; etc.

But obviously AEW is in a "can sign people" not a "needs to sign people" situation, which is better for them. 

• Like 4

Roster management will be a challenge, but at the same time, you want to keep thing fresh and also keep the fans tuning in for surprises and unexpected moments (which does not always have to be new guys coming in). Also, TK made this point in the post-match scrum, but not every addition needs to be an upper card/main eventer. Smart additions like 2.0 are also key to completing your roster (and those guys have been fucking awesome, and also seem like really cool guys from Jericho's podcast and a segment on Colt's show at the All Out kick out party).

• Like 2

Some wrestlers from the early days of AEW will begin to feel like Woody and the gang when Buzz Lightyear shows up in Toy Story.

TK’s mom will, at some point, have to take a big box with all the toys TK doesn’t want to play with anymore and drop them off at the local thrift store.

TK will be like “Mom, where’s Private Party? They were just here and now I can’t find them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Not Ohmaifuckinggodits Private Party with the do-rag and dancing to Matt Hardy's theme! But yeah, some people will go the route of YouTube exclusive until their deals expire. Hope it's not PP. Chuck Taylor got his usual part passive aggressive, part self-deprecating humour in with the doing Gargano's Shelley moves on YouTube tweet. If Trent weren't coming back I'd worry for Chuck, even though he should be calling one of the youtube shows with Excalibur. Excalibur, Taz, and Chuck on one show, with Tony, Wight, and Kingston on the other would be sweet. 

• Like 3

As I've stated before, I'd never wish for someone to lose their job (and I'd certainly not fantasy book it) but as a blanket statement: if it came down to dollars and cents, there are people you can lose to make cap space for someone like Sami Zayn. And with the nature of the non-WWE world these days, there's no reason that a Chris Hero couldn't sign with any other promotion and still make an appearance or do a one off match, or you can send a guy to wherever he ends up. Personally, I'm still holding out for Miro vs. Rhino, for example.

Edit @JijiChuckie T is safe, I think Best Friends kind of has that thing going on where they're almost mascots like a New Day or a Spike Dudley

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As I've stated before, I'd never wish for someone to lose their job (and I'd certainly not fantasy book it) but as a blanket statement: if it came down to dollars and cents, there are people you can lose to make cap space for someone like Sami Zayn. And with the nature of the non-WWE world these days, there's no reason that a Chris Hero couldn't sign with any other promotion and still make an appearance or do a one off match, or you can send a guy to wherever he ends up. Personally, I'm still holding out for Miro vs. Rhino, for example.

Edit @JijiChuckie T is safe, I think Best Friends kind of has that thing going on where they're almost mascots like a New Day or a Spike Dudley

It’s been a long day, but I totally read that as Miro v Riho at first.  

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ultimo Necro said:

It’s been a long day, but I totally read that as Miro v Riho at first.  

You and me both, brudda. Poor Riho got mauled by Jamie Hayter. Hope champ is okay.

It's tough to bring in people for one shots like Rhino vs. Miro, even though that match would be so neat n nasty, because there are dozens of people not making TV as is. But I guess I would rather see Miro vs. Rusev in a bull fight for 7 minutes than QT Marshall promos, this is true. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Some wrestlers from the early days of AEW will begin to feel like Woody and the gang when Buzz Lightyear shows up in Toy Story.

TK’s mom will, at some point, have to take a big box with all the toys TK doesn’t want to play with anymore and drop them off at the local thrift store.

TK will be like “Mom, where’s Private Party? They were just here and now I can’t find them!

I’ve said before, Kip Sabian is the quintessential example of this, whatever this new box shit is.

The ones on shakiest ground are the folks who would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond where you used to have to ‘make do’ and make them seem as much of a big deal as you can (say Jimmy Havoc if he was still with them, Big Swole, Joey Janela, Lance Archer as much as I like him), or the touted hot young prospect who has proven to be underwhelming for an extended period and been leapfrogged by the Dark ‘grinders’ i.e. Sabian.

You’re better off being a ham-and-egger who knows their spot, with bags of charisma (2.0) or bizarre habits/friends in high places (Chaos Project).

Edited by Custos
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Meltzer mentioned on WOR this morning that Full Gear would also likely take place somewhere in the Midwest. If I were to guess, they'll run either the Banker's Life Fieldhouse in Indy, which when seating for wrestling will be around and slightly less than the United Center, or they'll go back to that cool arena in Champaign, IL. I'm hoping for the former just because it's an easier drive for me and parking is pretty good at the Fieldhouse.

Full Gear was initially announced for Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis, unless that has changed.