DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

9 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Eddie Kingston made mention recently that October marks 20 years in the biz. TK, if you're out there, we're sincerely hoping you're trying to bring Jun Akiyama in for the Mad King ???

Whoops. ?

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

In a recent interview on Oral Sessions with Renee Paquette, Ruby Soho discussed working with Ronda Rousey in WWE, opponents she wants to face in AEW, and much more. You can read her comments below.

Ruby Soho on working with Ronda Rousey in WWE: “It was awesome. Ronda is so great. I can’t say enough nice things about her. She is incredibly humble and she’s always approached it from a way of like, ‘I know that this is a sport that I don’t know a lot about, but I want to learn.’ And she absorbed it all like a sponge. Her instincts were on point. She picked everything up super quickly and she was just amazing. She was so fun to work with. It was such an awesome thing too because like a lot of times where you kind of feel like things get monotonous when you approach matches and stuff, where you’re like, I approach this opponent kind of this the same way as I approach this one. With her, it was something where I had to hit a hard reset and be like, ‘Well, this girl can get me in a hold and if she does, I’m done.’ It was awesome to be able to have to think differently than I had previously with opponents. I had to approach it differently and it just got my creative juices flowing and hers as well. She was awesome.”

On who she wants to work with in AEW: “There’s a bunch of them that kind of slipped through my fingers on the indies that I feel like I’ve wanted to work with for quite some time. The one that comes to mind first and foremost is Serena Deeb. Serena, I’ve been like a step behind her a lot through our careers like she made it to SHIMMER, and then when she left SHIMMER, I was there. Then she went to OVW. Like, she left, I was there. Then, WWE. Now at AEW, so I’ve just been right behind her. I’m a huge fan of her. I think she’s incredible. So, she’s definitely one of them. I think that Diamante is amazing. Big Swole is amazing. I’ve wanted to work with Nyla Rose for a long time, but she’s impressive as all hell. So, that’s the thing is like I just I’m so excited at the possibilities of all the girls that I get to face and all the different kinds of fight that they’re going to bring out in me.”

https://411mania.com/wrestling/ruby-soho-ronda-rousey-wwe-aew/

• Like 3

Eddie Kingston on his fandom of Japanese wrestling: “I’ve got to give credit first of all to the Three Musketeers of New Japan Pro Wrestling – Keiji Mutoh, Shinya Hashimoto, and Masahiro Chono. Those were the first guys that got me into Japanese wrestling. That was because I saw the Great Muta in 1989 in NWA. That was it, I was hooked. Then I saw Chono in 1992 for WCW, and I actually remember when he did the STF, Jim Ross lost his mind and was like ‘that was taught to him by Lou Thesz, and it’s the greatest submission in wrestling history.’ I was like yeah it is. If Jim Ross says it is, then it’s gotta be. Because of them, I bought tapes, and anything with Japan. I didn’t know the difference between All Japan, New Japan, anything. Then I saw Kobashi and Kowada in 1995 in I think Osaka. They went 60 minutes, and what gravitated me towards that style was it was so physical. All the people that said pro wrestling is acting or pro wrestling is fake, I would just be like watch this and tell me that shit don’t hurt. Tell me that dude chopping you in your chest or forearming you or kicking you in your face doesn’t hurt. That’s what definitely attracted me to that style more was the physicality of it.”

On his mental health issues and his advice for those struggling with mental health: “Growing up the way I grew up wasn’t bad, but I saw things and I heard things. My parents were always very open with me. They never wanted to hide anything, or they never took anything as being shameful. They never thought trying to get help to better your life was wrong. They tried to instill that in me. So, when I’m talking about my mental health issues or when I talk about me on Zoloft, people are like, ‘Thank you so much for saying that.’ I’m like, what’s the big deal? But you know what, if that helps people with me talking, then good. I’d rather be known for helping people with opening up and feeling better – trust me, I’d love to still be world champion – but at the end of the day, if something crazy happens where it doesn’t, if I help people kind of open up more and not be ashamed of their mental health or be ashamed to talk about it, then I’ve won. I don’t see the big deal of getting help. We’re all whacked, and none of us are perfect. Show me the perfect person, and I’ll show you a liar. So, what’s the point of lying to ourselves? We have to love ourselves at some point. If we don’t love ourselves, then we can’t love nobody else. Take what you are, embrace who you are, and get better. That’s it. Try your best to get better and love yourself.”

https://411mania.com/wrestling/eddie-kingston-japenese-wrestling-mental-health-issues/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

They also dropped the Full Gear poster and it will likely change but I did not see Hangmin. Cool choice to lean into the final fantasy crossover appeal and run with airships theme. Setzer signs everywhere in Minnesota. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They also dropped the Full Gear poster and it will likely change but I did not see Hangmin. Cool choice to lean into the final fantasy crossover appeal and run with airships theme. Setzer signs everywhere in Minnesota. 

I'll be at this show, finally, after waiting 18 months. This was the first show that got cancelled by Covid (it was supposed to be the week after Salt Lake City, but Rudy Gobert happened and SLC was the last crowd Dynamite) so to say I'm excited is an understatement.

Surprised no Dark Order since we're in Brodies town, but there is one match opening. Also Rampage I think is taped here after this, so maybe Adam Cole/JB won't be the only high profile match we get. Also, gonna be making up a couple of signs for the trip. As is tradition with any wrestling show I go to.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'll be at this show, finally, after waiting 18 months. This was the first show that got cancelled by Covid (it was supposed to be the week after Salt Lake City, but Rudy Gobert happened and SLC was the last crowd Dynamite) so to say I'm excited is an understatement.

Surprised no Dark Order since we're in Brodies town, but there is one match opening. Also Rampage I think is taped here after this, so maybe Adam Cole/JB won't be the only high profile match we get. Also, gonna be making up a couple of signs for the trip. As is tradition with any wrestling show I go to.

I'm sure you're going to get some good stuff to go along with what's already announced. Hope you have an amazing time! ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

I'm sure you're going to get some good stuff to go along with what's already announced. Hope you have an amazing time! ????

Appreciate it! My buddies and I are leaving around 2 on Friday and I'm hoping our trip turns into a parody of Ready 2 Rumble.

• Haha 1

It barely registered if at all that I saw CM Punk in 2021 yet I was and am elated to know I saw Jonny Hungy run wild live.  The guy was feeling it with the hometown love and as much as I love Rosa this match really set the tone for the night.  But unless they're airing it on the Road To show I really wish they had Eddie's post-Rampage speech on there.  Oh, well, still a fun way to kill some time.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Have a great time!

• Like 1

You know, I just went back to rewatch All In from 2018 and it's so funny to look back with 20/20 hindsight and see everything that's been cultivated since then. Even if it wasn't an "AEW event" - it's basically the epilogue to this companies existence. Everything about the show felt so right and you can see so much of AEW in All In, not just in the performers, or the announcers, but in the atmosphere. The "we're here to party and watch some good wrestling" vibe that just clicks. My buddy and I were peeping the six man main event and he goes to me "You know what's crazy, this was such a big deal. Now it's Wednesday night" - and truer words have never been spoken. All In was essentially a template for AEW. I will say I wish that main event had been given the time it deserved because chances are we will probably never see those six individuals in the same ring again, but we were at least given Rey Mysterio and Kota Ibushi for the record books to acknowledge so I can sleep happy knowing that.

I wish one day we could get a supershow style PPV where NJPW, RoH, Impact, AEW, ect all share their talent for one "Super Bowl" style card. In a perfect world I would even toss WWE in there, but at least with AEW's involvement in the other promotions I feel they have a legitimate chance at making something like this actually happen.

• Like 4