DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

11 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

He’s not WWE Big is he? Seems like he’s more or less Buddy Murphy’s size

edit: well that’s a tag team I didn’t realize I wanted that would kick ass

He's at least 6' or taller with risers in his boots, he's juiced to the fucking gills, he can't speak for shit...Yeah, Vince would love him but probably tell him to stop all of the flippy shit.

53 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

He’s not WWE Big is he? Seems like he’s more or less Buddy Murphy’s size

edit: well that’s a tag team I didn’t realize I wanted that would kick ass

yes and no. He's a tad over 6 feet tall but he's probably legit 260 to 270. He massive in person. good luck passing a wellness test though.

He was actually in FCW back in 2004 so I've always wondered if he had an opportunity to go back but was making ore money doing indies, LU and Impact over the years 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Let's be real, Brian Cage is Vince's wet dream. Let him go to WWE.

Brian Cage is the definition of a big guy who doesn't know how to work as a big guy. Vince would hate his work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

Brian Cage is the definition of a big guy who doesn't know how to work as a big guy. Vince would hate his work.

But Vince loves to tinker with a dude. I could see him giving it a shot. 

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Good luck passing a wellness test though.

He has openly joked that he could never pass a wellness test and his piss would melt through a styrofoam cup... so I don't see WWE being an option lol. He's also on record as hating his time in WWE developmental. He's also older than 30 and has previous wrestling experience (which is now frowned upon ?).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

according to wikipedia, dude's 37. ancient in WWE years.

Closest comparison being that Damian Priest is 38 and in his first year on the main roster, but yeah I could see it not being too likely for Cage for various reasons mentioned above.

49 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Closest comparison being that Damian Priest is 38 and in his first year on the main roster, but yeah I could see it not being too likely for Cage for various reasons mentioned above.

Punishment Martinez has too much upside. Like if he was 10 years younger, he’d likely take Roman’s spot.

Cage will never be Martinez.

If the rumors of Bray going to IMPACT are true, then he should ask for his release, and head there. He’d probably be made the foil.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Let's be real, Brian Cage is Vince's wet dream. Let him go to WWE.

He doesn't know how to work "like a big man" , so I'm not sure if that would really work out, though? Would Cage be able to hold back so much of his style and tendencies that he'd be boring enough for Vince to comprehend? On a glossy paper, it is a match made in heaven, but only when Cage is posing for pictures.

...and Goodear pointed this out before I did. Dammit, even Craig H said it himself already. This is what happens when you start from the latest posts and work your way back.

Edited by Shartnado
Too slow

In defense of B. Cage, though, he at least has confidence in his abilities, or at least wife does, and he’s letting out his frustrations. He’s 37 years old. He probably doesn’t have a lot left in his current state. Why settle at this point? The closest he got to bring a star was in Lucha Underground & IMPACT. Before he got injured, and stuck with a bad contract, he was probably penciled into a good spot with AEW. He came him, they gave him a chance, but it was obvious other guys got on that train first, and made their impressions. He did have a great opener with Hangman this year, and I’m positive now that it would’ve been a stepping stone for something better. But he got overshadowed along the way by quite a few people, and TK would rather do things with Hobbs, Jungle Boy, Darby, Orange Cassidy, Lucha Brothers, Hangman, and Kingston. Those are the men that connected with the fans.

Until he finds his lane, he’ll just be in this spot. Which isn’t a bad spot. The only issue is that Starks is still recovering from his neck issues. So most likely this is dragging out for this very reason. But if he’s talented enough, he’ll be able to breakthrough. But still I sympathize with his plight. 

I think TK should have added a new member to Team Taz, for canon fodder purposes. 
Like I’ve seen a few Dark guys that could be in that group.

Another thing I realized is that Miro coming in immediately put a clock on his spot. Here’s this charismatic fellow with a very “Natural” looking physique ready to prove he’s way more valuable, and then you have Cage in segments stumbling in promos, and looking around not knowing what to do with his hands, and expression. He was dead meat after that. Sure Cage does a lot more in the ring, with tricks, but if you don’t have that charisma that shines through your work, you’ll just seen as nothing more than a good hand.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

Yeah Miro coming in was kind of the death knell for Cage. 

But also being put next to Ricky Starks really made him look like the charisma vacuum that he is.   Then when Hobbs is added to the mix you have another big, jacked guy who is younger and more intense and intimidating looking than Cage, it’s no surprise he has kind of got lost on the mix.

Cage has gone as far as he is going to go in his career. I mean the guy no ill will or anything, I am sure he is a nice dude, but there's a limited shelf life for a guy like him who is basically a spot monkey with muscles. He can't talk or promo, and isn't good enough in the ring to mix up his style or evolve or whatever to keep himself fresh or interesting. He was known as Mr Get My Shit In for a reason. I get why he'd be frustrated with being passed over with acquisitions coming in, but AEW have big ambitions and they are right to overlook a guy like him for dudes who are either better now or have more potential for the future. If he wants to be a  player somewhere, Impact or MLW are probably more his level.

• Like 1

If the Pinnacle continues after Wardlow turns face on MJF, Cage's weaknesses could be hidden pretty well by becoming MJF's enforcer. MJF could do all the talking, and Pinnacle mostly just does multi-man matches. All Cage would have to do is look menacing and get his shit in occasionally. Sure this sounds like Team Taz redux; but I think Pinnacle is a bit higher on the card, so Cage might be happier with that role. 

• Like 3