DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

14 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Anybody know when the series 9 of AEW figures are being released? A quick googling didn't give me any joy. Want to pick me up a Thunder Rosa figure. Don't have the cash to buy all, just buy my favourites.

They haven’t even released series 7 yet. I’m still waiting on the Lance Archer I pre-ordered.

• Thanks 1

While I was away, the AEW/Owen Hart Foundation deal was announced. How wonderful a collaboration including the Owen Hart Cup Tournament especially and other merchandise. Chuffed by it. Dr Martha Hart, Oje and Athena came across so well in The Final Days of Owen Hart documentary by DSOTR. Wanted to hug all three. The way AEW handled the late, great Mr. Brodie Lee's passing especially the tribute show on AEW Dynamite was perfectly done and I think aided CM Punk, Bryan Danielson and the Owen Hart Foundation into joining AEW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

John Silver’s meatball on fire come back never gets old. In tag teams they tend to pair off as Silver & Reynolds(Beaver Boys), and V & 10, but I would really love a Silver & 10 team. They fit each other better aesthetically.

Not sure if you check Dark or Elevation but they teamed up a good bit while Reynolds was out on paternity leave.  And while I like Beaver Boys I do agree their pairing does work very well.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I will never say another bad word about the Hollywood Hunk ever again.

Wish I could say the same but his skits on BTE are the fucking worst.  That picture definitely helps his case though.  But that aside I like him fine enough and get a kick out of the Wingmen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wish I could say the same but his skits on BTE are the fucking worst.  That picture definitely helps his case though.  But that aside I like him fine enough and get a kick out of the Wingmen. 

His heart is in the right place but yeah, I kinda hate his work in the ring.  JD Drake is the superworker of the Wingmen.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I’m glad Nemeth was brought up actually because I haven’t seen much of his work at all. What’s the deal with him doing Dolph’s offense? Did they always perform similarly? Is it a bit, like when Brad Armstrong worked as Buzzkill? 

The only cure from endless talks about how small the Bucks are is another episode of Dark Elevation:

Thunder Rosa vs Kayla Sparks: I've seen a couple of Rosa enhancement matches so far and I'm coming to wonder if she's someone who I'm going to like a lot more against name talent? She was feeling the crowd and can channel plenty of intensity but there were definite small moments of disconnect in moving Kayla around. Very clearly calling spots to but that felt almost more impressive than not since she could accomplish a lot with a few words. That's on production as much as anything else, I guess, or maybe the fact that she comes into exchanges at a distance instead of close up? Not sure. I don't love the double stomp to the front in the ropes at a glance just because she doesn't do anything special to get a wrestler into a position that they're never in. Very different from Rey and the 619 as he spends a lot of effort getting them there. This was overall okay but there was some understandable ring rust on Sparks (cagematch says this was her fifth match back after 14 years retired!). I'd like to see this back in a couple of months maybe? I'm glad Henry's getting some more time in the booth to work on this, but he announces like he wrestles. Good ideas, but he takes his time to get to them. That works when you're a super heavyweight in the ring. Less so announcing.

Dark Order vs Tibbs and, you know, some other poor saps: Feel good stuff. It's sort of crazy to think just how much this crowd got, but this is the sort of match that makes everyone happy and that's going to make people want to come back almost as much as the stuff on top. Just a massive Dark Order showcase. I haven't seen him enough to vote for him in March Madness or anything but so far, I really like what I see in Angels. I like the way that he moves in the ring. I like the way he takes offense. I like the way he sells. Tons of upside. Plus Tony's Four on Five! line was amazing. When the Order ultimately work together they make fairly contrived stuff look natural; it fits the gimmick and their personalities and like I said, it looks and feels right. Obviously Silver got a big moment and good for him. The enhancement talent was there to enhance and enhance they did. I'm glad to hear someone actually mention Hangman Page. You guys know how I feel about that. And more glad to hear Chris Hero name dropped. Kingston namedropped Homicide and Homicide showed up, so.... Anyway, I'd like go back to the early days of the Dark Order and show people this match and the reaction they got.

Wight vs VSK, RSP, and CPA: The crowd deserved the show given how hot they were for everything. Great reception for Wight. If you treat your giant like a big deal and like a giant, he becomes an attraction. If you put him on TV every week like some other guy, he becomes another guy. This followed a time-tested formula and was super entertaining and the crowd loved it. Like Tony, I want to see Wight chop Austin Gunn, so good for everyone involved. I looked up VSK and RSP (more on that in a second) but not CPA and he came off as a pretty funny undercard CHIKARA character with his stilted, constipated motions, but you probably don't want to showcase too much of him in a bigger role as that character. Anyway, RSP. So he wrestles as a corrupt judge who feigns polio and uses a cane as a weapon in Olde Wrestling. Do you guys know about this? A little goes a long way in watching it but it led me to check out Segunda Caida favorites, the boys from Jollyville as the Jollyville Jeepers, Clean and Jerk, and it's awesome to see those guys interacting with kids and what not considering their usual setting. Anyway, this was great and I'd love to see a match like this once a month or so.

Promos: I have no major opinion on Scorpio Sky but that was a really good promo from him.

Acclaimed: I had listened to the back half of the promos (the out of character ones mainly) at 2x speed and Caster sounds pretty damn good at 2x speed. Just saying. That said, showing the crowd Griff and having him not second Pillman (but having Julia there) was a choice.

Need another match or two, but that crowd couldn't take much more so I get it. They did a good job filling the 40 mins with other stuff at the end.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’m glad Nemeth was brought up actually because I haven’t seen much of his work at all. What’s the deal with him doing Dolph’s offense? Did they always perform similarly? Is it a bit, like when Brad Armstrong worked as Buzzkill? 

Semi-related, I think that was Dolph's voice on BTE this week behind the camera for that segment. Maybe just a a fun thing, not necessarily a tease. Could just be a simple negotiation tactic for Ziggler. Who knows.

There's been a little bit of talk about toxicity in the fan base and it touching our happy little slice of the internet, so I wanted to get overly positive for a minute or two.

Not to get too hyperbolic, but intentionally or not Tony Khan has helped save and boost independent wrestling after a very trying time.

There's obviously the idea of actually allowing your talent to be independent contractors and wrestle for smaller promotions, which means smaller bookers can have television stars at their shows and draw more tickets.

Unintentionally though, and I don't know if anybody could have predicted this, but the brief little war between AEW and NXT forcing a rebrand of the WWE mega indy means there's no longer an arms race to sign every hot up and coming wrestler. Instead you have the bigger promotion going back to its formula of in-house training and bigger, more physically impressive talent. Meanwhile AEW does have unsigned talent come in for Dark and Elevation, which furthers their careers and again brings more attention to their matches at smaller promotions.

All in all it makes things all the more exciting to be a wrestling fan again, whether you are watching the world's biggest sports entertainment promotion introducing new stars and taking risks again, or the rapidly rising new kid on the block, while also having a wealth of smaller televised and independent promotions thriving. 

And the best thing about it is the primary driving force behind the whole thing is a guy from DVDVR ?

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Semi-related, I think that was Dolph's voice on BTE this week behind the camera for that segment. Maybe just a a fun thing, not necessarily a tease. Could just be a simple negotiation tactic for Ziggler. Who knows.

When Mickie James last returned to WWE, they asked her to send in a video vignette to let fans know she was returning. So she got her husband to shoot it and edit it, and it got shown on RAW. So Nick Aldis finally got to work for WWE, but as a video producer/ director.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

One of the jobbers in the Dark Order 10 man tag looked like if Enzo shaved his head and bought really basic ring gear. It was very off putting.

I was focusing more on the fact that his gear was eerily similar in color scheme and logo placement to Brodie.  Actually it was a lot like Silver's too when he wore it for the tribute show.  I don't know the thought process behind it but even for AEW I would have gone with a Plan B.

It's kind of a boring listen, but the recent Wrestlenomics podcast with our own Chris Harrington was a fascinating listen. I posted about audio in the Rampage thread, and it brought to mind something Chris mentioned in that there is an audio mix that contains no commentary. It's just the sounds of the crowd, entrance music, ring noise, etc. I know some others in the past have mentioned just wanting to watch without any commentary so this does exist, it just doesn't make it's way to broadcast unless you have a decent surround setup and can mute the channel that the commentary is on.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's kind of a boring listen, but the recent Wrestlenomics podcast with our own Chris Harrington was a fascinating listen. I posted about audio in the Rampage thread, and it brought to mind something Chris mentioned in that there is an audio mix that contains no commentary. It's just the sounds of the crowd, entrance music, ring noise, etc. I know some others in the past have mentioned just wanting to watch without any commentary so this does exist, it just doesn't make it's way to broadcast unless you have a decent surround setup and can mute the channel that the commentary is on.

I've been trying to tinker with that on my home setup but haven't had much luck so far.  Could just be that with only having a soundbar/subwoofer setup it might need more to better isolate the commentary channel.  It's not an issue with AEW but that would certainly help with other shows.

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I didn't get to watch this week yet, but a few times on Dark they've done these rapid-fire promos to end the show and I'm heavy into it. It's got just a hint of that ECW Pulp Fiction type flavor

I'd love to see them just flat out steal the 'Pulp Fiction' style montage promos weekly.  Doesn't have to be Misirlou.  I'm sure there's plenty of great surf tunes available for cheap.  Or a completely different piece of music.  Anyway, agree with all, that was a neat segment to close things out.  TK is a beautiful man and a hilariously awkward promo.  And as mentioned Scorpio Sky killed there.  More of that and rise to the top. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3