DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

Guys, maybe Cody actually is self aware with all of this.

Announced for Dynamite next week: Cody and Lee Johnson vs Dante Martin and Matt Sydal. 

I'm curious if Cody beats the shit out of Martin post match.

If you rewatch Cody's entrance, in addition to the spectacularly self-indulgent cape, you'll see Arn berating him about something while slapping the "play card." Cody totally reacted to the boos with a quizzical look toward the end of the match, too. There's definitely something in the works.

EDIT: The final nail in babyface Cody's coffin should be the revelation that he was the one who ordered Kaze Ni Nare shut off. Just make sure there's extra security at ringside when it happens.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 9/22/2021 at 1:56 PM, punkenhead said:

So, I'll ask again. Anybody know if Jake Roberts is okay? If he has been seen since July, it is not by me. 

Dave Meltzer noted in the Wrestling Observer that Roberts is dealing with undisclosed health issues. During a recent appearance, Roberts was in a wheelchair and had an oxygen device in his nose that he would take out for photos. Roberts had announced last year in an interview that he was battling COPD which made it hard for him to breathe. Roberts said then that he doesn't get enough oxygen into his blood and he didn't know how limited that would make him in the future. He also said he couldn't talk for more than 20 seconds without an oxygen tank.

Jake said late last year, "The thing I'm happy or happiest about is that I'm in AEW and they actually give a damn, it's really wild, they actually care about the athletes, they actually get us the help that we need, they actually set up protocol so us dumbass wrestlers don't say "hey I'm okay, I can get in there, I've got one arm missing" you know, it's okay."

I've also missed Jake appearing with Archer the last few months. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Dave Meltzer noted in the Wrestling Observer that Roberts is dealing with undisclosed health issues. During a recent appearance, Roberts was in a wheelchair and had an oxygen device in his nose that he would take out for photos. Roberts had announced last year in an interview that he was battling COPD which made it hard for him to breathe. Roberts said then that he doesn't get enough oxygen into his blood and he didn't know how limited that would make him in the future. He also said he couldn't talk for more than 20 seconds without an oxygen tank.

Jake said late last year, "The thing I'm happy or happiest about is that I'm in AEW and they actually give a damn, it's really wild, they actually care about the athletes, they actually get us the help that we need, they actually set up protocol so us dumbass wrestlers don't say "hey I'm okay, I can get in there, I've got one arm missing" you know, it's okay."

I've also missed Jake appearing with Archer the last few months. 

I noticed the the last time Jake was on the apron how he was struggling.  Jake had so much to offer. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, just drew said:

I would've been real tempted to just have Buddy peel off banger after banger on Dark until I had something for him, but I understand not wanting to match his WWE salary for him to do that.

And I'm sure Buddy isn't interested in being the "best kept secret" again. 

Then again, he probably is Impact bound...

• Like 1

It appears that Jake Roberts' health continues to decline. I'm not sure how long his COPD has been so severe, but 40 to 60% of people with severe COPD die within five years.  At least I feel confident he is in the right place to get the best possible care for his condition. Say what you will about Tony Khan and AEW (and many of you will), it is indisputable they take VERY good care of their employees and employees families. Lets send some positive vibes his way. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, punkenhead said:

It appears that Jake Roberts' health continues to decline. I'm not sure how long his COPD has been so severe, but 40 to 60% of people with severe COPD die within five years.  At least I feel confident he is in the right place to get the best possible care for his condition. Say what you will about Tony Khan and AEW (and many of you will), it is indisputable they take VERY good care of their employees and employees families. Lets send some positive vibes his way. 

My late, great beloved Mum had it. COPD is a bitch.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What was Rage Against The Machine considered back in the day?

They came out before nu-metal was a thing, but I'd say they were lumped in with nu metal bands after bands like KoRn and Limp Bizkit broke through.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They came out befor nu-metal was a thing, but I'd say they were lumped in with nu metal bands after bands like KoRn and Limp Bizkit broke through.

For such a short lived genre nu-metal / rap-metal lingered around pro wrestling way longer than it had any right to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They came out before nu-metal was a thing, but I'd say they were lumped in with nu metal bands after bands like KoRn and Limp Bizkit broke through.

Truly RATM were closer to traditional hardcore punk than nu metal, which makes sense since Zach fronted Cali HC band Inside Out. 

• Like 1