DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

There are so many great matches in the hopper for this company. If you lined up your top babyface and your top heel depth charts 1-10 (and ignored the Codyverse) with something like:

Danielson, Punk, Allin, Hangman, Mox, Jericho, Christian, Jungle Boy, Kingston, OC

Omega, Miro, Black, Cole, MJF, Andrade, Pac, Starks, Hobbs, E Page

That’s 10+9+….= 55 different potential feuds / matches, of which we’ve seen, by my math, about 20 of so far (with many of those being one off’s rather than true feuds)

So not only could they not sign anyone, they could not even *turn* anyone and they have 3 years of material in them at their current burn rate. And I see very few potential stinkers in those 55.

They aren’t going anywhere and are built to last, is what I guess I’m saying, and maybe why this feels so different than WWE. I suspect the WWE version of this has far more entropy.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

Update: to put theory into practice, I just created a simple Excel macro to do exactly this (aew_seal_balls.xlsx) and pressed run, which resulted in the following:

Danielson / Andrade

Punk / MJF

Allin / Cole

Hangman / Hobbs

Mox / Pac

Jericho / Page

Christian / Miro

Jungle Boy / Starks

Kingston / Omega

OC / Black

That rules! It all rules! Everyone is over! 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

There are so many great matches in the hopper for this company. If you lined up your top babyface and your top heel depth charts 1-10 (and ignored the Codyverse) with something like:

Danielson, Punk, Allin, Hangman, Mox, Jericho, Christian, Jungle Boy, Kingston, OC

That’s 10+9+….= 55 different potential feuds / matches

You're overthinking. 10 choices of face and 10 choices of heels means 10x10 or 100 potential matchups. (Assuming you want to stick to face vs heel. If you're okay matching any of these 20 against each other, its 210 options.) 55 would be the number of matchups within a group of 10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Of course - setting aside pure combinatorics, if you have to include Ethan Page to fill out your top heels list your argument for the depth of the heel roster isn't that strong. The Team Tazz guys aren't that heavily pushed either. And I'm pretty sure Pac is a face.

21 hours ago, just drew said:

He looks like the creepy “I’m in a rock band now” guy from those Bowflex ads a few years back…

Lmfao, amazing great reference here! 

The legendary Michael Polinko. Every break during Smackdown especially back in 05/06. 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think we need to finally start having a serious discussion about how AEW's output isn't a sustainable model. You can't constantly put out good to fantastic shows and keep your audience engaged and caring, that's not what the last 20 years of wrestling in America taught us and we might need to admit that AEW isn't going to be better for it. I think Dynamite's rating this week proved that no matter how hyped up a show is, doesn't matter if two of the best wrestlers in the world are opening the show in a dream match... goddamnit, 1.3 million people watching the show just isn't cutting it.

Brandon Thurston is right about all of this. Won't someone please think of the casual fan?!

Spoiler

?

• Haha 13

On 9/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, Matt D said:

Also, who has Excalibur's e-mail address?

I need to write him a thousand word e-mail about the importance of no longer calling the move the La Magistral and calling it La Casita instead as they've done in CMLL for decades because of Negro Casas. If AEW is all about righting the great wrongs in wrestling, that's definitely one of them. This is one of my goals for the next 12 months.

I will make that change in my commentary, especially since I'm going to be announcing Immortal Lucha Libre's next $5 PPV.  See, you just saved 929 words!

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:21 PM, just drew said:

He looks like the creepy “I’m in a rock band now” guy from those Bowflex ads a few years back…

That is a god damn legendary deep pull.  Bravo to you, sir.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:16 AM, Zimbra said:

I accidentally saw spoilers for Rampage and I won't ruin it for anyone else but I will say:

OQzmcRh.jpg

If anybody needs to up their DVDVR STATS~! with a Like or a Thanks, an Achewood reference will always do it for me.  Now if you excuse me, I need to pour myself a Ketel One and get back to watching videos of ladies squashing sheet cakes with their butts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm fine with passing on Buddy. There's no room on that roster anymore as good as he is. My hope is that he winds up in NJPW, but Impact would be a decent fit as well.

I myself am most definitely not fine with passing on Matthews, BUT I do understand it. He will be a great asset where ever he may end up, but AEW is so loaded right now, he would have gotten lost in the shuffle. I'm just sad that PAC vs Buddy M still isn't any closer to happening!

• Like 1