DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

KiLynn King is a better version of Kamille so her match with Leyla Hirsch was fucking great.  I assume Leyla and Cargill will be good.  I love this version of Dark. I It is very reminiscent of WCW Saturday Night.

• Like 6

Oh hey Shawn Spears brought back the low altitude code breaker. I like that move more than the C4.

Edit: Wow this main event got good. It appears Leyla dropped the double jump moonsault, for a regular one. A very good one too. Like Kobashi good, not Muto mediocre.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Show me a time Kobashi missed a moonsault more than once, and I’ll show you Muto missing a million times.

Define miss. Didn't Kobashi murder somebody with his knee in his last match or one of his last matches? Both are awesome but very different. Kobashi's crescent is gorgeous but I love Mutoh's scythe action on his too.

Just echoing the love for Moriarty and Garcia. Sign Garcia up. He's a very good heel technician with a mean streak. Love the kicks at Lee while they're both on the ground and wish more guys would do little things like that. Both of them are so slick. I've already gushed over how Moriarty is so great at making it seem like he's in an actual fight and does little things well. Both sold their limb damage even when on offense. Bright futures for both of them.

• Like 2

Butcher definitely looks like he can get a brief singles push. 

In a couple of months the LB’s should lose the belts. Now I was thinking, maybe it could be to B&B. But I was also thinking, that Suzuki might stick around, if New Japan doesn’t always need him. Then I thought of something else. They could continue the Suzuki-Gun thing, but sub Suzuki for DBS Jr.. It doesn’t seem like he was signed to Titan again, and he’s available. Him, and Lance back together again as KES would be fresh for AEW, and it’s a better company for him given his size. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I have no idea what % of the audience watches Dark and Elevation but it's such a boon to the overall product. If they needed to fill time in a few weeks they could just toss Lucha Bros vs Butcher & Blade on Dynamite and it'd be whatever it was. But if you have them mow through people for five or six weeks on the webshows first, it just really builds a sort of momentum. I know it shouldn't necessarily because we see the strings and we get how these matches work and everything else, but each squash where they keep up the intensity makes me want to see that match (or really the two of them vs any "name" team) more.

Some other quick thoughts:

Spears looked effective out there until the last minute when he started mugging and talking about Darby. As a character, I always preferred him as the underdog babyface who was just happy to be there. That felt much more genuine than this.

I'm sure you guys know this but I haven't seen much 2.0 and I dig their general level of engagement in the match. They're very good at portraying full and genuine immersion in what's happening in there.

I like the storyline build through dark. You don't need more than one or two going at once just like how you'd get a marquee match on Superstars or a main event on late era WCW SN. Here you've got Anna/Tay vs Penelope/Bunny and Janela vs Kiss (with the Diamante vs Swole stuff in the background but that really did feel like it should have gotten blown off last week). 65% enhancement, 25% more even mid-card matches and 10% programs feels like the right balance to me.

Speaking of more even mid-card matches, the reason why the Cassidy double suplex spot worked so well is because Taylor and Yuta hit a double suplex a minute or two before. That's the attention to detail and thought that is the lifeblood of Cassidy's stuff actually working and not just being facile and empty.

And of course they build to Dynamite through it, with Hirsch against someone bigger and Jade against someone smaller.  Also, I know no one in the world picked up on this and I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but I've got to mention it: Jade started her match with a waistlock takedown where she basically tossed her opponent across the ring. King started against Hirsch by using her size with the exact same waistlock takedown, but Hirsch kept the connection between them and chain wrestled her way into an advantage. Probably a happy coincidence but it really showed how Hirsch has a shot against Jade.

The one thing I DO like about the AEW house style is that it often takes two times to hit a spot. They'll try it earlier in the match and it won't work and then they'll hit it later, and not just finishers either. That's a bit of build that makes almost any match better. (I'm thinking about Hirsch's tope in this case but it happens a lot; or it'll work once and then NOT work the second time like Andrade's double stomp the other night).

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Matt D said:

it'll work once and then NOT work the second time like Andrade's double stomp the other night).

Yeah, I’ve noticed this a lot with AEW matches. Or sometimes the other guy gets off the spot you were attempting the whole time.

The shows are very much in the WCW syndicated wrestling stratosphere. It reminds me how people get confused re-watching old Nitro, and wonder how people know certain people when they are barely on the main program, and it’s literally because a lot of us actually watched Worldwide/Pro/Saturday Night back in the day. It was an essential viewing to stay in touch with the entire undercard, and more importantly the secondary belts which always felt more important, than when they were on the prime time cable shows. The fact that they aren’t up on the Network is a travesty to not have if you wanted to go through a re-watch.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was getting the warm and fuzzies watching them do a studio show.  You can tell folks like 2.0 were relishing the opportunity to make sure their shit talking was heard.  And even with others such as Evans it was neat to hear they trash talking while they were doing moves.  I think this will work out worlds better than the Daily's Place setup and find myself looking forward to Dark a lot more now.

And Matt I'm kind of bummed I missed the connection with Jade and Hirsch at the start of the match.  But that's a great call.  I thought the main in particular was pretty damn great and did a helluva job building to Dynamite.  And for crying out loud can we please sign poor Kilynn already?  I'm all for using her mainly on Dark but she has certainly earned a contract.

• Like 1

I think it’s time for exclusive Dark titles. Fuego, Bear Country, and Jade would all benefit from something like that. The wrestlers themselves shouldn’t be exclusive to the show, but it wouldn’t be bad for them to get a taste of having competitive matches in front of a crowd as a test run on the YouTube shows.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And Matt I'm kind of bummed I missed the connection with Jade and Hirsch at the start of the match.  But that's a great call.  I thought the main in particular was pretty damn great and did a helluva job building to Dynamite.  And for crying out loud can we please sign poor Kilynn already?  I'm all for using her mainly on Dark but she has certainly earned a contract.

Again, it's such a me thing and I doubt it was intentional but...

Spoiler

Rl1kJV.gif

46LV37.gif

• Thanks 3

Forgot who said it before (Shartnado, I think?) but I definitely appreciate stuff that you point out like this.  It's easy to get wrapped up in the "How is Hirsch going to defeat a bigger opponent in preparation for Dynamite?" story.  But to approach that by basing it off the start of Jade's match is really, really interesting.  I'll have to have a better look when they do builds like this but that's a really neat thing to do for Dark.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Again, it's such a me thing and I doubt it was intentional but...

Reveal hidden contents

Rl1kJV.gif

46LV37.gif

I'm not so sure it wasn't - KiLynn hit a pump kick and a fall away slam too, which are basically Jade's two big moves. 

All that seems like too much of a coincidence to not be intentional.

Edited by CSC
  • Like 5

That Kilynn / Hirsch match was fucking great. King looks better without the facepaint, losing one gimmick always a good idea, hope she keeps it that way.

If it was me I'm putting Hirsch over on Wednesday. Agree with whoever said King is a better Kamille and Jade whilst still improving is poorer than Kamille.

Make it look like the over confident star got surprised by something she hadn't seen before like a submission or complicated pin, she can get her win back later and I don't think it will hurt her. Plus it's Leyla's home town...

15 hours ago, Jiji said:

Define miss. Didn't Kobashi murder somebody with his knee in his last match or one of his last matches? Both are awesome but very different. Kobashi's crescent is gorgeous but I love Mutoh's scythe action on his too.

Just echoing the love for Moriarty and Garcia. Sign Garcia up. He's a very good heel technician with a mean streak. Love the kicks at Lee while they're both on the ground and wish more guys would do little things like that. Both of them are so slick. I've already gushed over how Moriarty is so great at making it seem like he's in an actual fight and does little things well. Both sold their limb damage even when on offense. Bright futures for both of them.

I know Tony's said that Garcia and AEW have an 'agreement' but it kinda sounds like Garcia didn't want to lock into a contract for whatever reason.

So long as he keeps showing up on my teevee (or computer or whatever) it's cool with me.

• Like 1

It's hard to hate his ijustcame face when he hits somebody with a chair. He's very good in this role and a fine rebound win for Darby. Maybe we get MJF and Darby beefing? Probably not but I wouldn't hate that.