DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

My AEW cut list or list of dudes that we could probably say goodbye to and not miss:

• Brian Cage
  • Almost everyone in the Factory except for Comoroto and maaaaaaybe QT
  • Every fucking Gunn on the roster
  • So many guys from the Nightmare Family. Brock Anderson is a good example of this.
  • Private Party (controversial pick, but they're not getting any better, I don't understand how Quen can get that blown up in every match, and they're beyond lost in the shuffle at this point)
  • Joey Janela
  • Jack Evans
  • Kip Sabian unless he's exclusively used as Penelope's manager
  • Chaos Project
  • Maybe the Sydal brothers
  • Sonny Kiss
  • Shawn Dean
  • Vickie

There's probably more than that, but that's a decent starting point for me.

Hasn't Aaron Solow suffered enough? Gets "mutual separation"-ed by Bayley and now you want him fired, too?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Vickie is an underused asset.  Nightmare family could be paired down some, but Brock is a good add for the storyline.  

By virtue of the unofficial AEW policy of "if one person from a wrestling family works here, the entire clan has to work here", Vickie has to stay. If Shaul didn't retire again, she would be there as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

The biggest problem with Cage isn't his moves in the ring.  It is that he is just an emotional robot who can't cut a promo to save himself.   If anyone would have needed the Adam Cole manager idea it would be him

Also doesn't help that Cage is an anti-vaxxer which is fucking hilarious if you look at a picture of him from 4 years ago. 

I don't need him to do anything more than hit a sentence here and there.  That said, he's failed to do so. 

Sad to hear of his stupidity. 

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Found Vince's account.  ?

Seriously, though, as others have already said, it's not his moveset.  It's his lack of any kind of presence or charisma.  Cage's high point was shit like mid 2010s PWG, where it was amazing to see a big guy doing flippy shit and crazy highspots and there was no need for promos or character.  Get in, do a flashy match, get out, see you next month.  He's exposed pretty badly by TV wrestling.

I think we can retire "needs to learn to work like a big man," for the most part.  For me, it's up there with "I can't suspend my disbelief watching these small guys."  Things are different now, guys are more talented and better, and I don't think there's this magic weight cutoff where everybody above a certain size needs to be Lex Luger or Sid.

Except Luchasaurus. 

Ha, top notch inside baseball snobbery talk there.  I'm not suggesting Cage learns to work like Big Diesel.  But when you have a huge dude like Cage hitting devastating power moves that are clearly ineffective it makes the overall package look weak.  This is an issue with Cage.  It's not top of the list.  No, I agree, at the top of the list, is his struggles with charisma/presence.  

I'd like to move to keep open 'needs to learn to work like a big man'.  Or wait, what's 'for the most part'?  Are we gonna have to start reading all the posts in here!?!

• Haha 1

I get that Cage has been in kind of a lull over the summer due to Starks’ injury, but if you look at dude’s booking over the pas year...short of being given the world title, what does he have to complain about? Was immediately pushed into a feud with the world champ. Was given the first feud with STING. Was given a (brief) competitive rivalry with Hangman Page. 

He’s been given as much to do as anybody who isn’t an EVP or an establish superstar.

• Like 6

To me Cage is a charisma vacuum, he generates the same empty feel I get when I’ve watched John Morrison and Bobby Lashley in the past. Guys that look like a Billion Bucks but couldn’t be any blander or less cool if they tried.

This was never more apparent than pairing him up with Ricky Starks who honestly just standing there without saying anything felt like a star next to Cage. No wonder he got all the cheers during their match on the first Dynamite with a full crowd.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

Early on with AEW, Tony Khan had the idea that prominently featuring a Hispanic guy named Alex on the broadcasts would be a really good idea. And it turn out he was right, only to begin with, he had the wrong Hispanic Alex.

• Haha 1

I don’t know anything about Alex Marvez outside of the time Bischoff spent five minutes on a Conrad pod talking about what a piece of shit he thought the guy was, and then he realized the next day he was thinking of Bryan Alvarez and apologized. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

He's covered the NFL and wrestling for about as long as I've been alive. Apparently, much like Tony Khan, he's a walking statics machine too. He helped Jericho with his latest book when Jericho couldn't remember certain dates, opponents, locations, etc.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I am shocked that no one has come along to replicate Sid. Braun may have come the closest, but then he fell victim to shit WWE booking and his knees disintegrating within months after he started doing that shit where he'd run around the ring to truck someone.

Brock Lesnar basically nailed it for a good while.

• Like 1

I think it helps that they're only charging $50 four times a year, instead of twelve times a year. The argument about the Network being a lower cost and you get the PPVs included is a legit one in some ways, but it's also not really fair, since you're getting LOADS more content for that monthly price (and even more now, since they're on a streaming service with non-wrestling content).

I do miss stuff like Fyter Fest or Fight for the Fallen being non-Dynamite specials, but I understand why they've switched to that model.

I wonder what AEW gets with taping Dark at Universal Studios. Wasn’t taping at Daily’s a relatively low cost affair? 

I would love to go. A taping for what is an enhancement talent show at a theme park is on my bucket list of things I want to experience once.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 9/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, J.T. said:

AEW annoncer Justin Roberts is my favorite human being right now.  

"Chasing his opponent to the ring, from Hern, Texas.  Weighing 273 pounds.  THE MURDERHAWK MONSTER, LANCE ARCHER~!!"

That did get a chuckle out of my household.

Small part to nitpick, though. He's not actually from Hearne, he's from Gause.