DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

I am shocked that no one has come along to replicate Sid. Braun may have come the closest, but then he fell victim to shit WWE booking and his knees disintegrating within months after he started doing that shit where he'd run around the ring to truck someone.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I am shocked that no one has come along to replicate Sid. 

Not a simple task in my opinion! Who right now in US pro wrestling has equal or more natural physical charisma than Sid? I'd say Asuka, Darby Allin, Big E, maybe a few others. You can't coach being Sid.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Not a simple task in my opinion! Who right now in US pro wrestling has equal or more natural physical charisma than Sid? I'd say Asuka, Darby Allin, maybe a few others. You can't coach being Sid.

Archer is kind of in that role on the webshows right now where the fans are chanting for one more chokeslam or what not and he's doing crazy things like chasing his opponent to the ring or carrying him to the ring and just demolishing guys? That's different than things like Big E or Corbin's NXT runs of killing guys in seconds that were more like Goldberg (which, I think is more of what people have tried to replicate over the last 20 years instead of Sid). This is more of a communal celebration of a mauling about to occur, which falls more along the likes of Joe Is Gonna Kill you chants and what not.

That said, Sid had this sort of weird potential energy where he'd just seethe in there and sizzle with the anticipation of violence and the danger that was about to occur and that's something which is much harder to replicate.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Take it back, now.

I love that it's open to interpretation that he wants more Good Brothers on AEW or that he never wants to see Good Brothers again even on Impact.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I love that it's open to interpretation that he wants more Good Brothers on AEW or that he never wants to see Good Brothers again even on Impact.

LOL I didn't think about it like that. Uh, either I guess?!

I liked them so much more in Japan. Their WWE run really tainted them for me.

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And while we're at it, the Good Brothers can probably just go back to Impact only for a long time. I like factions smaller rather than bigger and those are two guys you don't need on your show anymore.

I imagine featuring the Good Brothers is part of the price paid for whatever the terms of this AEW/Impact collaboration are.

"Okay you can put our belt on your guy on your show, but you gotta take the good brothers from us too."

"sure you don't wanna borrow some of our guys for a while?"

"....nah that's cool, just take the good brothers."

"....oh fine."

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My AEW cut list or list of dudes that we could probably say goodbye to and not miss:

• Brian Cage
  • Almost everyone in the Factory except for Comoroto and maaaaaaybe QT
  • Every fucking Gunn on the roster
  • So many guys from the Nightmare Family. Brock Anderson is a good example of this.
  • Private Party (controversial pick, but they're not getting any better, I don't understand how Quen can get that blown up in every match, and they're beyond lost in the shuffle at this point)
  • Joey Janela
  • Jack Evans
  • Kip Sabian unless he's exclusively used as Penelope's manager
  • Chaos Project
  • Maybe the Sydal brothers
  • Sonny Kiss
  • Shawn Dean
  • Vickie

There's probably more than that, but that's a decent starting point for me.

Agree with all of these except Jack Evans and Matt Sydal who I think are great jobbers to the stars, they can always put on a competitive match to make your Moxleys, Coles, PACs, etc. look good.

I would add Colt Cabana to the list, i like the guy but what has he really done in AEW? His most entertaining bit were the few months where Brodie would protect him from seeing how the Dark Order was actually an evil cult, but that was more him reacting to how great Brodie was.

Edited by eikerir

I actually debated putting Colt on my list because it doesn't seem like he has done anything in a year or more. He's being used more now as being on the Uno side of things in the Dark Order Civil War, but Colt being a heel or supporting a heel will always feel weird. It was somewhat refreshing for maybe a week or 2 in ROH, but, eh, Colt's always a babyface to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I actually debated putting Colt on my list because it doesn't seem like he has done anything in a year or more. He's being used more now as being on the Uno side of things in the Dark Order Civil War, but Colt being a heel or supporting a heel will always feel weird. It was somewhat refreshing for maybe a week or 2 in ROH, but, eh, Colt's always a babyface to me.

There's a value Colt vs Punk feud that they can roll out in about two years after Punk's done a lot of other things. Alternatively, he could second a guy like MJF against Punk at some point earlier.

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My AEW cut list or list of dudes that we could probably say goodbye to and not miss:

• Brian Cage
  • So many guys from the Nightmare Family. Brock Anderson is a good example of this.
  • Private Party (controversial pick, but they're not getting any better, I don't understand how Quen can get that blown up in every match, and they're beyond lost in the shuffle at this point)
  • Joey Janela
  • Jack Evans
  • Chaos Project
  • Sonny Kiss
  • Shawn Dean
  • Vickie

If this were my list, I'm okay with all of these except Brock Anderson, QT/Comoroto, Private Party, and Shawn Dean. The rest I agree are pretty much expendable (Sorry Jack Evans, TH2 just never took off) but those people I'm trying to save are relatively younger. If you really made me get rid of at least one of those people I listed it would be Private Party as I feel Top Flight has taken over the "we're the future high flying tag team" spot from them. Speaking of which, once Darius comes back that would be a hell of a feud.

Also, I think Janela will have a job for a while just due to his GCW ties and being a quasi "talent scout" for them.

This is random, but if anyone knows who Shane Mercer is - that's a guy I'd love to see in AEW.

Dante Martin reminds me so much of AJ Styles that it feels like he could be AJ Styles kid, but cooler because he didn't grow up with AJ as his dad. I didn't get to see enough of Darius before he got injured, but he also looked good. As a team though, they were incredible and fill more of the niche Private Party were filling.

• Like 1

Top Flight has tonnes of potential and are fun as is in spotfest tags, but Dante at least has a long way to go in emoting, pacing, and storytelling. Not surprising because of his age but Private Party, Kassidy, have shown a lot more in that department even if they are less spectacular than Top Flight. 

50 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I am shocked that no one has come along to replicate Sid. Braun may have come the closest, but then he fell victim to shit WWE booking and his knees disintegrating within months after he started doing that shit where he'd run around the ring to truck someone.

Nick Gage is kind of modern day Sid. Does fist bumps. Weird angry energy. Seems dangerous in the ring.  Attacks other wrestlers with sharp objects.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Log said:

RE: Good Bros.

Did anyone notice that Adam Cole never mentioned them at all during his promo on Dynamite. He talked up the rest of the Elite, but never even said their names.

Good Brothers were never in the Elite before his death, let the man catch up.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

I kinda like Cage from his time in So Cal and Lucha Underground, but he's always struck me as replacement guy.  Like, if Lance Archer quits your promotion suddenly and you need a monster heel to replace him, Cage would be a decent prospect.  Or you want to bring in Brawn Stroman but Brawn laughs at you when you make him an offer and you still need a big guy with some name value, Cage could be the first one you'd call.  Or at least fourth or fifth.  He's got some value - at least as a heel - but maybe not in AEW right now since the AEW roster is loaded in both quantity and quality.

Also, I remember what Cage looked like when he debuted.  Willing to bet a fair bit that the copious amounts of steroids he's (allegedly, cough cough) done are far more likely to ruin his health than the Covid vaccine. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Also, I remember what Cage looked like when he debuted.  Willing to bet a fair bit that the copious amounts of steroids he's (allegedly, cough cough) done are far more likely to ruin his health than the Covid vaccine. 

You don't know what research he's done~!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

• Brian Cage
  • Joey Janela
  • Jack Evans
  • Chaos Project
  • Sonny Kiss
  • Shawn Dean
  • Vickie

Vickie is an underused asset.  Nightmare family could be paired down some, but Brock is a good add for the storyline.  

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Nick Gage is kind of modern day Sid. Does fist bumps. Weird angry energy. Seems dangerous in the ring.  Attacks other wrestlers with sharp objects.

Barely takes a bump…. Seriously when I was at the show I was stunned that every wrestler was caked in blood, and glass. But here was Gage with just a slight trickle running down his head doing his little jig, and Tiger Woods fist pumps from pillar to post all match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Sid wrestled under the last name Justice, Gage has played a part in the New Jersey justice system, so many comparisons. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Sid wrestled under the last name Justice, Gage has played a part in the New Jersey justice system, so many comparisons. 

Nick Gage's brother wrestled as Justice Pain there are levels to this shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

RE: Good Bros.

Did anyone notice that Adam Cole never mentioned them at all during his promo on Dynamite. He talked up the rest of the Elite, but never even said their names.

I also noticed that, but I think it was by design. When Hangman eventually beats Kenny, I'm thinking we'll get Cole/Bucks on one side and Kenny/Brothers on the other (or solo Kenny, with the GBs heading back to Impact and NJPW for a bit). 

And as an added bonus, if the Kevin Owens rumors end up coming to fruition, you've got that stable built in and ready made