DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

I really want to see what Hook can do already. Team Taz is desperate for another healthy body out there.

You know who’d be a good fit for Team Taz, and eat pinfalls? Jason Hotch… This AJ Styles looking fucker is a guy who’s impressed me when given a chance to shine on DARK. Seriously that’s the issue with the Team Taz story arc, that quite frankly, TK has bungled. Cage needed more obstacles, and a partner to battle them. Like pretty much every other angle in the company. 

makes me wonder if Cage isn’t all that respected behind the scenes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Can someone fill me in on Hook and the attention he is getting that I assume is ironic?

I know he is Taz’s kid. Did not expect him to look like a heroin chic male model. My gay friends who like wrestling are all huge fans of Jungle Boy (duh) but I can see Hook becoming their new crush.

Has he actually wrestled anywhere or done anything but look smug and pouty?

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Can someone fill me in on Hook and the attention he is getting that I assume is ironic?

I know he is Taz’s kid. Did not expect him to look like a heroin chic male model. My gay friends who like wrestling are all huge fans of Jungle Boy (duh) but I can see Hook becoming their new crush.

I have never ever seen a match of his. I did see photos that popped up on the Internet and it looked like it was from a local show, and he suplex’d a dude, and wore boxing trunks. That’s pretty much all I’ve seen of his wrestling. I’ll say before became a meme people were talking about his potential.

I just hope he was born with that typical New York swagger, and talking ability. That’s my main concern.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

50% irony, 50% being horny on main accounts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I think it’s mainly to do with people thinking he’s hot piece of tass.

But just based on his attitude I think he does have potential, hopefullt he rocks the Sagat look at some point.

E55VykLWYAIL4lS.jpg:large

Edited by eikerir

3 minutes ago, eikerir said:

But just based on his attitude I think he does have potential.

Rocking the Sagat look

Think about this. He hasn’t even wrestled, and appears to have way more natural charisma than Cage.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, eikerir said:

But just based on his attitude I think he does have potential, hopefullt he rocks the Sagat look at some point.

I am solidly Team Hook as long as he never cuts his hair.  I cannot wait until someone bashes this kid in the face.  He is a natural heel and it's totally great.

The disintegration of Dark Order is proving to be far more enjoyable than I expected it to be.

Edited by J.T.

I got around to watching this week’s Dark this morning. 

One would presume that audiences at the tapings are familiar with current storylines, but there seemed to be a lot of confusion and ambivalence about Uno vs Angels. It was a solid match with a good story, but the crowd had a hard time digesting it. 

The 3 Strikes match with Diamanté and Swole was okay. They didn’t have enough time to get out of first gear for the first two falls, and nothing they did with the weapons looked very impactful. I’m glad they were protecting each other, especially for a web show, but when we’ve seen women’s division gimmick matches like that Baker/Rosa match last year it’s hard to take this seriously as a blood feud. 

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I think Cage and Hobbs would have worked with the Fire and Ice idea we all threw around a while back. You could even run an APA deal where Taz took bribes from whoever's willing to pay for them to fuck guys up.

I don't think Cage's ceiling as a singles in AEW is any higher than where he is now.

For the 'Fire and Ice' idea, I keep hoping there's a way that Cage finds his way back into the Team Taz fold.  Tho, that 'tough love' idea plays out badly in my head and likely worse on screen.  A team is a great way to protect Cage, and the tag team division is short of, and could at some point use, a Roadies-esque dominating duo.  

Cage's wife publicly challenging AEW over her husband's booking seems like a bad idea.  I wouldn't by any stretch suggest the booking's been perfect, but he's had more than enough opportunity to make a splash, and he's failed to connect in a impactful way.  He clearly has some exceptional tools, but his in ring style is problematic.  His moveset is impressive, but a lot of what he does needs to be sold as hugely devastating.  Instead he hits these massive moves that aren't sold as such.  And that's not a knock on his opponents but rather a criticism of his inability to work his size.  He works like a smaller cruiserweight with comparable move impact.  He needs to learn how to work as a big man if he's got any upward-card-mobility.  Further to his current status, he's completely lost as a sudden babyface.  Whereas in WWE you can point to bad creative and it's more often than not true, AEW provides more than enough opportunity.  Cage has had enough segments and matches to 'get ovah' but he's yet to find his stride.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Casey said:

guys I don’t think Brian Cage is going anywhere. Your spouse can tweet all the bullshit they want, but that ultimately doesn’t matter.

See: Hardy, Matt

I think Matt brings A lot more to the table both in and out of the ring. I agree that Cage has probably hit his ceiling in AEW and would probably be well served heading back to Impact where he'd be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Or go to Japan or Mexico in a talent exchange.

As for Hook I find him massively entertaining mean mugging in his dads promos or just being a general stooge or flunkey. He's been great in his role

Hook has great presence for a guy that has said a combined maybe 6 words in almost a year, looks like a million bucks, and protects his gimmick for the most part of being aloof. He's also son of Taz and has Taz's confidence by the looks of it. 

• Like 1

This will be the ultimate test for all those people talking how the MJF and before that Max Caster stuff was "getting great heat".   If Pillman is his usual self in AEW then your argument is garbage.  If he actually looks like fire and does beat the shit out of Max then you win.

23 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

For the 'Fire and Ice' idea, I keep hoping there's a way that Cage finds his way back into the Team Taz fold.  Tho, that 'tough love' idea plays out badly in my head and likely worse on screen.  A team is a great way to protect Cage, and the tag team division is short of, and could at some point use, a Roadies-esque dominating duo.  

Cage's wife publicly challenging AEW over her husband's booking seems like a bad idea.  I wouldn't by any stretch suggest the booking's been perfect, but he's had more than enough opportunity to make a splash, and he's failed to connect in a impactful way.  He clearly has some exceptional tools, but his in ring style is problematic.  His moveset is impressive, but a lot of what he does needs to be sold as hugely devastating.  Instead he hits these massive moves that aren't sold as such.  And that's not a knock on his opponents but rather a criticism of his inability to work his size.  He works like a smaller cruiserweight with comparable move impact.  He needs to learn how to work as a big man if he's got any upward-card-mobility.  Further to his current status, he's completely lost as a sudden babyface.  Whereas in WWE you can point to bad creative and it's more often than not true, AEW provides more than enough opportunity.  Cage has had enough segments and matches to 'get ovah' but he's yet to find his stride.  

The biggest problem with Cage isn't his moves in the ring.  It is that he is just an emotional robot who can't cut a promo to save himself.   If anyone would have needed the Adam Cole manager idea it would be him

Also doesn't help that Cage is an anti-vaxxer which is fucking hilarious if you look at a picture of him from 4 years ago. 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I think Matt brings A lot more to the table both in and out of the ring. I agree that Cage has probably hit his ceiling in AEW and would probably be well served heading back to Impact where he'd be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Or go to Japan or Mexico in a talent exchange.

Reby's screaming at AEW was more about the apparent lack of intelligent thinking surrounding Matt getting his head splattered on the concrete than bitching about Matt being "misused" because he doesn't have a belt.  So it's not a 1 to 1 comparison.

• Like 6

Yeah, that was the worst thing AEW has done to date and they should've been excoriated. Brian Cage looks like the '80s ideal wrestler but has no presence. He is the opposite of Hook. Cage was at his best in that feud with Keith Lee on the indies doing big men spotfests and on a pre-taped and heavily edited show like Lucha Underground that made everybody look better than they are. Damn shame he deleted that post of his from late last year about being really into women's butts, fronts, and feet. Big foot guy Brian Cage.

My AEW cut list or list of dudes that we could probably say goodbye to and not miss:

• Brian Cage
  • Almost everyone in the Factory except for Comoroto and maaaaaaybe QT
  • Every fucking Gunn on the roster
  • So many guys from the Nightmare Family. Brock Anderson is a good example of this.
  • Private Party (controversial pick, but they're not getting any better, I don't understand how Quen can get that blown up in every match, and they're beyond lost in the shuffle at this point)
  • Joey Janela
  • Jack Evans
  • Kip Sabian unless he's exclusively used as Penelope's manager
  • Chaos Project
  • Maybe the Sydal brothers
  • Sonny Kiss
  • Shawn Dean
  • Vickie

There's probably more than that, but that's a decent starting point for me.

And while we're at it, the Good Brothers can probably just go back to Impact only for a long time. I like factions smaller rather than bigger and those are two guys you don't need on your show anymore.

47 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And that's not a knock on his opponents but rather a criticism of his inability to work his size.  He works like a smaller cruiserweight with comparable move impact.  He needs to learn how to work as a big man if he's got any upward-card-mobility.

Found Vince's account.  ?

Seriously, though, as others have already said, it's not his moveset.  It's his lack of any kind of presence or charisma.  Cage's high point was shit like mid 2010s PWG, where it was amazing to see a big guy doing flippy shit and crazy highspots and there was no need for promos or character.  Get in, do a flashy match, get out, see you next month.  He's exposed pretty badly by TV wrestling.

I think we can retire "needs to learn to work like a big man," for the most part.  For me, it's up there with "I can't suspend my disbelief watching these small guys."  Things are different now, guys are more talented and better, and I don't think there's this magic weight cutoff where everybody above a certain size needs to be Lex Luger or Sid.

Except Luchasaurus.