DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

AEW annoncer Justin Roberts is my favorite human being right now.  

"Chasing his opponent, from Hern, Texas.  Weighing 273 pounds.  THE MURDERHAWK MONSTER, LANCE ARCHER~!!"

Oh, that destroyed me.  I like when he deviates from the norm for Archer matches (he did something similar last week too)  And during the Cutler/Avalon blowoff match he had an exasperated tone saying essentially "For the love of God please let this end!"  I never cared for him that much but may have to reconsider.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

AEW annoncer Justin Roberts is my favorite human being right now.  

"Chasing his opponent, from Hern, Texas.  Weighing 273 pounds.  THE MURDERHAWK MONSTER, LANCE ARCHER~!!"

Marc Lowrance had a droll sense of humor and hit lines like that every now and then. "(Kamala's) opponent, standing outside the ring where I wish I was..."

52 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So what’s up with him? He apparently signed a multi year deal with MLW, but now he’s being featured prominently on AEW programming. Is this another one of those Brian Pillman Jr. situations?

Moriarty didn't sign a multi-year deal with MLW. They offered him a couple of dates, he accepted those bookings as an unsigned guy, MLW then announced him for those dates, and MLW fans misunderstood.

On Elevation, Lance Archer did the 'Attack my opponent in the back and carry him to the ring to start the match' deal, and Justin Roberts said "Coming to the ring WITH his opponent, from Hern, Texas..."

Edited by AxB

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Rough translation: "Kaze Ni Nare" just hit #1 on USA iTunes' J-Pop song list for the first time ever. Amazing.

That's awesome. Which version? I've always preferred the original to the one he used at AEW All Out 2021 and other shows.

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is quite literally home town for Khan so it's possible. Plus it's about a 15 minute drive from me! 

We talked about who's left for AEW to snag and the coffers look pretty empty, but Hero is a possibility and that should happen for one reason alone among many:

Eddie Kingston. 

Those two legit hate each other and have been beating on each other for years. It's a built-in feud. It's produced some great matches. If you can keep them from killing each other backstage, getting them together again would be great. 

I also have a hard time believing TK wouldn't push to feature a Hero-Punk 'war of attrition' how ever many years later on his television.  

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is one of the times I'm going to have a double standard, but Hero looks so fucking dumpy and washed up that I have no interest in seeing him on TV ever again. I think he'd look embarrassing on AEW and he'd be in the same position he was in in NXT, which was JTTS. He'd be relegated to Dark duty and that's pointless. The only reason I'd want him in there is if it's as a coach or trainer.

As for the heat between Hero and Eddie, I don't think they hate each other, but it's more of a difference in philosophies and each guy thinking they're more right than the other.

I love Hero from watching early aughts Indies.  I only saw a few highlights in NXT, but he seemed like he'd gotten himself into good shape.  For comparison sake, everyone's beloved Eddie Kingston goes out there with a tight singlet top showcasing a big gut.  There's no shit given there and for good reason, but if Eddie was a weak midcard jobber in NXT ppl would be more likely to comment.  Instead he's treated like a tough guy and reminds us that lots of tough guys aren't ripped. 

All that said, Hero amongst others would benefit a great deal from a loose fitting full body outfit.  Not unlike some of the looks Taker took to the top of the card in the 90s.  I mean minus the cartoon gothy elements, just the structure of that kind of outfit.  I find it strange that there's such an automatic push towards tights and no shirt.  There are plenty of ways to hide the flaws, excentuate the positives, but they aren't being explored as often as they should be.  There are a ton of other examples of full body outfits from prime era ECW that would greatly benefit the non-body guys - see Sandman, Raven, Dreamer (not polka dots now; 96 simple sleek Tommy), New Jack, Brian Lee (pretty much the same as bad ass era Taker), Bammer, etc. etc.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I like how they are handling the Dark Order.   It's not at the breakup phase yet.  There is more brotherly infighting and woodshed beating than there is a full on schism so there is some hope that they will get their shit together.  You can drag a shit ton of matches out of the combination of those guys with the blow-off most likely being a trios match.

I am annoyed that no one is tapping out to Alan 5's magnificent Koji Clutch.

The Acclaimed have returned and the approved rap lyrics gimmick is magnificent.  God bless them for still trying to do heelish things in the ring where it counts even though they know they will get meta face pops now after Caster's suspension.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

All that said, Hero amongst others would benefit a great deal from a loose fitting full body outfit.  

NXT UK - NXT UK: Kassius Ohno slaps WALTER | Facebook

kassius-ohno-BP-2-1280x720.jpg

That's from his NXT-UK run. 

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

Is there a guy in WWE over the last five years who had a worse break than Owens losing his big “Austin” babyface push to Kofi? Zayn blowing his shoulder during his ring entrance vs Cena is up there but I have no idea when that even happened at this point.

i don't know if this falls in the timeframe, but Finn Balor getting injured and giving up his Universal (?) title directly after winning it has to be worth mentioning.

• Like 1

Just now, twiztor said:

i don't know if this falls in the timeframe, but Finn Balor getting injured and giving up his Universal (?) title directly after winning it has to be worth mentioning.

Rollins losing his Triple H feud too. They’ve had plenty of bad luck in the last decade, I guess, but there are so many self-inflicted wounds.

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

Great shout, mate. Fits inside the five year timeframe.

Re: Cole and Danielson debuts
I can't recall any separate double debuts in the same segment.  Not like Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero and Saturn or any number of tag teams debuting as a unit, but rather two separate debuts and in the same segment.  What are the best ones I'm forgetting?

Edited by HarryArchieGus

17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Re: Cole and Danielson debuts
I can't recall any separate double debuts in the same segment.  Not like Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero and Saturn or any number of tag teams debuting as a unit, but rather two separate debuts and in the same segment.  What are the best ones I'm forgetting?

They weren't all debuts, but closest thing I can think of is lights off -> RVD -> lights off -> Sabu -> lights off -> Lawler when Lawler debuted in ECW

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a comparison to TNA bringing in every WWE wrestler that got cut way back when VS AEW bringing in two of the most popular wrestlers of the last 10 years and someone who was the focal point of WWE’s super indie since like, 2017 or whatever. Yes, totally the same thing!

Literally no one compared what happened at All Out to TNA. 

What I and others have said is that they have a lot of WWE guys and if you keep adding a bunch more it’ll be embracing the TNA meme: “Look Taz it’s [insert modified WWE wrestler name] in the Impact Zone. And the released guys appearing lose their luster because almost everyone shows up.

Right now, everyone speculates about people going to AEW but I think they’ve actually been very selective and done a good job so far. So you don’t assume everyone is showing up so aren’t sure who will show up.

They didn’t need to sign Zach Ryder because he was friends with Cody, and I don’t think they need to sign Kevin Owens because he’s friends with the Young Bucks either.

In my opinion, they already have a loaded roster (especially for only having 3 hours of tv a week) and so should now focus on elevating their homegrown talent over the next year with the newcomers instead of bringing in more WWE guys.

Hero had back issues and apparently has a thyroid condition, so I can't blame him for any perceived weight issues. 

Hero was always one of my favorites but, at this point, I put him in that column with Dalton Castle and other dudes who should have been bigger but things happened and the industry passed them by.  He was awesome on the indies early in his career, went to FCW/NXT where not a lot happened for him, went back to the indies and had an amazing run, but then went back into the WWE system where, surprise surprise, nothing happened for him.  I can't fault the guy too much for that one, though.  Who knows what his motivation was?  Maybe he was tired of grinding on the indies, traveling to NOAH, etc., and wanted steady money for a bit.  Who knows?  Anyway, then he got released again and hasn't done a thing in a year and a half except being rumored as serving as an agent for a ROH show.  Hero is turning 43 soon.  AEW is hiring his contemporaries Danielson (40) and Punk (42), but they are worlds more popular than he ever was so you can see why they'd be no-brainers as pickups while he wouldn't be.

I don't want Hero's career to be damn near done but I have a bad feeling it pretty much is.

18 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Literally no one compared what happened at All Out to TNA. 

What I and others have said is that they have a lot of WWE guys and if you keep adding a bunch more it’ll be embracing the TNA meme: “Look Taz it’s [insert modified WWE wrestler name] in the Impact Zone. And the released guys appearing lose their luster because almost everyone shows up.

Right now, everyone speculates about people going to AEW but I think they’ve actually been very selective and done a good job so far. So you don’t assume everyone is showing up so aren’t sure who will show up.

They didn’t need to sign Zach Ryder because he was friends with Cody, and I don’t think they need to sign Kevin Owens because he’s friends with the Young Bucks either.

In my opinion, they already have a loaded roster (especially for only having 3 hours of tv a week) and so should now focus on elevating their homegrown talent over the next year with the newcomers instead of bringing in more WWE guys.

The TNA meme is inaccurate tho. Especially since the original instance of this was WCW. They signed a shiiittttttt ton of WWE guys between 1994-1996. Hogan wasn't alone. It was Hogan, Bossman, Earthquake, Duggan, Nasty Boys, Brutus, Honkytonk Man, & Savage. Then Nitro starts with Luger. Then the hits keep on coming. Hall & Nash. Plus random undercard guys showing up out of nowhere like Martel & Janetty on a consistent basis.

So the TNA talking point is clearly just for those not well versed in the history of wrestling. This is the strategy that wins. You get as many guys with TV hours under their belt as possible to mix in with top tier original guys. That's what creates the spark. Known dudes in a new environment vs the brand new hotness. nWo Hogan vs Sting. TNA was following the right plan, they just had terrible writing and kept shooting themselves in the foot with shitty management. That first Hogan show got 1.4 million viewers. It's just they couldn't sustain it with Russo's shit writing and Dixie's shit management.

The method was fine, it was their unique brand of awful management that ruined it. Not the method of signing known quantities. And the quicker people stop with this uneducated hot take, the better off we will all be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

And the quicker people stop with this uneducated hot take, the better off we will all be.

Unfortunately, I don't see this one going away. It's been repeated for so long with such soft pushback that I suspect many people accept it as conventional wisdom. 

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The TNA meme is inaccurate tho. Especially since the original instance of this was WCW. They signed a shiiittttttt ton of WWE guys between 1994-1996. Hogan wasn't alone. It was Hogan, Bossman, Earthquake, Duggan, Nasty Boys, Brutus, Honkytonk Man, & Savage. Then Nitro starts with Luger. Then the hits keep on coming. Hall & Nash. Plus random undercard guys showing up out of nowhere like Martel & Janetty on a consistent basis.

So the TNA talking point is clearly just for those not well versed in the history of wrestling. This is the strategy that wins. You get as many guys with TV hours under their belt as possible to mix in with top tier original guys. That's what creates the spark. Known dudes in a new environment vs the brand new hotness. nWo Hogan vs Sting. TNA was following the right plan, they just had terrible writing and kept shooting themselves in the foot with shitty management. That first Hogan show got 1.4 million viewers. It's just they couldn't sustain it with Russo's shit writing and Dixie's shit management.

The method was fine, it was their unique brand of awful management that ruined it. Not the method of signing known quantities. And the quicker people stop with this uneducated hot take, the better off we will all be.

Also, TNA had Jeff Jarrett running wild for a majority of that time period. I will keep saying it til the day I die, Monty Brown should've been the guy to win the NWA World Heavyweight title at Bound for Glory 2005 after Kevin Nash couldn't compete. Instead, they threw Rhino in there who - I like Rhino - but wasn't a homegrown "TNA" guy and that only led into the eventual Christian Cage (again, another non home grown guy) title feud and the rest is history. 

AEW does seem to have a winning formula here, more so than TNA. The matches always end with a winner and a loser, the storylines are not only coherent and make sense, but they reward you for being a fan of pro wrestling. Like Moxley/Suzuki's history already built into their match for Wednesday. And, their shows take place in buildings about 10-20x the size of the Impact Zone. That definitely has to mean something.

• Like 4