DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

Is there a guy in WWE over the last five years who had a worse break than Owens losing his big “Austin” babyface push to Kofi? Zayn blowing his shoulder during his ring entrance vs Cena is up there but I have no idea when that even happened at this point.

36 minutes ago, Freudian_Slap said:

Probably the outlier on this but I can't think of a single wrestler I would want less in AEW than Kevin Steen,

Total opposite of that myself, he is exact type of wrestler I would be good with AEW adding at the upper part of his card (him and Sami Zayn/El Generico). Great in the ring and on the mic, and equally adept as a face or heel.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Total opposite of that myself, he is exact type of wrestler I would be good with AEW adding at the upper part of his card (him and Sami Zayn/El Generico). Great in the ring and on the mic, and equally adept as a face or heel.

KO suffers from the worst disease possible for a wrestler, he clearly finds himself extremely funny and if you watch him you can tell.

I'll never understand people's need to repeatedly say who they dislike every time they have the chance... 

ANYWAY, I think once the pandemic finally dissipates and international travel is an option, you can send a lot of the undercard talent that isn't being readily used on excursions, especially the ones that need a lot more seasoning. There's always American indies as well, where talent is already allowed to work.

I also think they should be promoting the YouTube shows more, would it be completely insane to have a commercial to advertise them? Or at least recap them more than just running results as a bottom crawl during a match. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As I've stated before, I'd never wish for someone to lose their job (and I'd certainly not fantasy book it) but as a blanket statement: if it came down to dollars and cents, there are people you can lose to make cap space for someone like Sami Zayn. And with the nature of the non-WWE world these days, there's no reason that a Chris Hero couldn't sign with any other promotion and still make an appearance or do a one off match, or you can send a guy to wherever he ends up. Personally, I'm still holding out for Miro vs. Rhino, for example.

Edit @JijiChuckie T is safe, I think Best Friends kind of has that thing going on where they're almost mascots like a New Day or a Spike Dudley

I don't think its capp space as much as TV time and finding something for everyone to do. WCW got by with a huge roster because they had 3 hours of nitro, 2 hours of thunder, 2 hours of saturday night. plus all the syndicated shows. I mean unless Tony K wants to keeps expanding the youtube shows things feel pretty packed

• Like 1

Just now, zendragon said:

I don't think its capp space as much as TV time and finding something for everyone to do. WCW got by with a huge roster because they had 3 hours of nitro, 2 hours of thunder, 2 hours of saturday night. plus all the syndicated shows. I mean unless Tony K wants to keeps expanding the youtube shows things feel pretty packed

Very true for now, but with the numbers they're doing, its always possible Rampage expands to two hours once it moves to TBS. Another possibility is that the super long episodes of Dark return once the Universal Studios tapings start. Elevation you're more limited because you have Dynamite right after the taping, so I could definitely see them making up the difference on OG Dark.

• Like 1

I’m not worried about this. Khan has even talked about using the big roster to cycle feuds and keep things fresh. The second biggest problem WWE has is the endless rematches and having to fill too much time, even with a lot of talent under contract. If he can afford to show restraint, give people time off to stay healthy and fresh, or use them in other roles, be it commentary or media appearances or supporting other wrestlers or what, then the product will be stronger for it. 

• Like 15

There are also soooo many possible tag/6man/8man TV matches they could run with the array of talent right now...they can stay away from blowing through big singles matches and keeping a special aura around then.

Imagine a match like, say, Punk and Bryan Danielson vs Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston main eventing a Dynamite or Rampage. Wild stuff.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Freudian_Slap said:

Probably the outlier on this but I can't think of a single wrestler I would want less in AEW than Kevin Steen,

Doesn’t move the needle for me either. I think they already have enough goofs on the roster and especially enough former WWE guys for a while.

I think it’d be good to take a break from bringing in WWE guys to avoid the TNA vibes. I’d only make an exception for any of the four horsewomen and Rhea Ripley for the next year or so.

Anyway, saw The Acclaimed’s return and that was a clever and amusing way to deal with their situation. Hope they get there push back, they’re a fun act and most of the crowd likes them. And they’re trending on Twitter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Is there a guy in WWE over the last five years who had a worse break than Owens losing his big “Austin” babyface push to Kofi? Zayn blowing his shoulder during his ring entrance vs Cena is up there but I have no idea when that even happened at this point.

Probably Ryder blowing his knee out after winning that battle royal where he and Rawley were gonna get a tag title shot and win the Smackdown tag titles. Arn Anderson said on his podcast that he was “finally gonna get his due” and then his knee exploded.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a comparison to TNA bringing in every WWE wrestler that got cut way back when VS AEW bringing in two of the most popular wrestlers of the last 10 years and someone who was the focal point of WWE’s super indie since like, 2017 or whatever. Yes, totally the same thing!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The second biggest problem WWE has is the endless rematches

Funny you of all people bring this up, I go back and cycle through old Segundas for something to read if I end up eating in front of the laptop. Going backwards through I think 2017 right now, there's reviews for old WWE PPVs and minus a few names like Rusev/plus a few names like Lashley and McIntyre, they are running the same matchups and same wrestlers on those cards today. No joke. Nothing has changed for them in almost five years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a comparison to TNA bringing in every WWE wrestler that got cut way back when VS AEW bringing in two of the most popular wrestlers of the last 10 years and someone who was the focal point of WWE’s super indie since like, 2017 or whatever. Yes, totally the same thing!

The worst part is everyone misdiagnosing TNA’s positives and negatives. Bringing in seasoned talent that the people know will never be an outright negative no matter how salty people are about how Samoa Joe’s push or whatever was handled fifteen years ago. 

Sign them all and let Miro’s God sort them out. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I’m not worried about this. Khan has even talked about using the big roster to cycle feuds and keep things fresh. The second biggest problem WWE has is the endless rematches and having to fill too much time, even with a lot of talent under contract. If he can afford to show restraint, give people time off to stay healthy and fresh, or use them in other roles, be it commentary or media appearances or supporting other wrestlers or what, then the product will be stronger for it. 

It’s true, the way TK frames it all your favourite guys will likely be used sparingly over the years, absence making the heart fonder, in precious few top-shelf matches relative to WWE. 
The only place you’ll get to see every delicious permutation played out…the video game. With a roster to rival the all-time greats like HCTP, limitless possibilities with reskins/legacy stars, if they get the engine right and time it to ride the crest of this wave they could have gold on their hands. It’s one of the aspects of AEW I’m personally most stoked about.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Freudian_Slap said:

On last weeks SD I thought Owens was the least entertaining person in his segment with Corbin and Paul.  But having read that news above, that maybe makes some sense.   I think a motivated and focused heel Owens is fine.  I just don’t want goofy babyface Owens that he seems to have been for a large part of recent times.

Conversely I cannot stand Sami’s heel persona (in a good way).  He is such a hateable smug bad guy, however I never want Sami in AEW.  I just don’t think that character fits.

I would much prefer it if TK could somehow convince El Generico to leave the orphanage for a few years to come back to the biz.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiji said:

Oh shit, Mt Rushmore tweet makes a lot more sense now! Who was doing WWE's contracts?!

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Cue a GIF of either monkeys flinging poo or a GIF of a bunch of monkeys on typewriters...

zoolander-computer-gif-11.gif

Alternatively:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ebca47f7357e6a0312

• Haha 1

AEW annoncer Justin Roberts is my favorite human being right now.  

"Chasing his opponent to the ring, from Hern, Texas.  Weighing 273 pounds.  THE MURDERHAWK MONSTER, LANCE ARCHER~!!"

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Lee Moriarty was the MVP of tonight's episode of Dark. Color me interested.

Legit got a chuckle out of the "Dark Order vs. Dark Order Wolfpac" line.

So what’s up with him? He apparently signed a multi year deal with MLW, but now he’s being featured prominently on AEW programming. Is this another one of those Brian Pillman Jr. situations?

14 hours ago, Jiji said:
Oh shit, Mt Rushmore tweet makes a lot more sense now! Who was doing WWE's contracts?!

Well, remember, when AEW was just getting started back in 2018, WWE panicked and signed everyone they possibly could under the sun, and locked up their then-current talent to multi-year deals.  Seems most of those are what's coming up now.  

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear Sami Zayn, Ricochet, and maybe even AJ Styles coming up as "deals ending soon."

7 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Lee Moriarty was the MVP of tonight's episode of Dark. Color me interested.

Legit got a chuckle out of the "Dark Order vs. Dark Order Wolfpac" line.

Granted I don't watch a ton of current indies, but Moriarty is my favorite wrestler on the circuit right now. 

He's also a really talented graphic artist, it seems, judging by his Instagram.

I'll reiterate that I want Danielson to lead a young shooter stable of Moriarty, Yuta and Garcia.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Log said:

I'll reiterate that I want Danielson to lead a young shooter stable of Moriarty, Yuta and Garcia.  

Eff that; I want them all to fight over the new Grapple Bois Belt.

You can owe me, TK.

• Like 2