DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Imagery

The Natural

8 hours ago, caley said:

One of the announcers used to talk about how the stairs weighed anywhere from 150-250 lbs and I used to laugh because of how easily some guys carried them around...but maybe it wasn’t hyperbole?

Assuming the GIF is legit and is not just Punk screwing around (...or maybe he was trying to do this when he was sick or hurt?), and without having any idea about how much the ring steps actually weigh: this makes Cena absolutely torpedoing Bray Wyatt with the steps from the ring to the floor more impressive. 

(Of course, it's pro wrestling so those steps were probably much lighter. The only thing crazier than being able to fling a big piece of metal that weighs upwards of 150 lbs. at that velocity would be agreeing to be hit with that same big piece of metal that weighs upwards of 150 lbs. being thrown at you.)

Edit: Here's the GIF of that - 

Top 30 John Wyatt GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Edited by Teflon Turtle
Added the GIF...I mean, it is the image thread.
  • Like 1

Guys. The steps have pegs that slide into place. It's not a weight issue. He was trying to lift the steps before the pegs were slid out. They are 25 pounds max. They are aluminum and a total work. Think of something you hang on the wall. It has the large opening for the screw, then you slide it down to the smaller area to lock it into place. That's how the steps connect.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

One wonders how good of boxers the great punchers in wrestling would actually make. 

I'm going to go ahead and say that 100% of them would be terrible boxers,  based on a world punch is designed to be telegraphed to the person in the back row and boxers will destroy you for tipping your punches.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm going to go ahead and say that 100% of them would be terrible boxers,  based on a world punch is designed to be telegraphed to the person in the back row and boxers will destroy you for tipping your punches.

Mero wasn't that bad. He was an actual boxer though.

This reminds me about how much I hated Tyson's punch from Wrestlemania XIV.  I remember how excited I was for that show,  because Mike Tyson was pretty much the most consistently exciting athlete of my entire life. I knew enough about wrestling,  that I was pretty sure he would get involved at some point.  When he punched Shawn Michaels, who sold it like death to his credit,  I kind of thought,  "wait,  that was it?" My opinion as always is that worked strikes and submissions are worked for a reason. I never feel like the shoot version works nearly as well in a world environment.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That’s because it’s not sport. It’s acting with a sports genre. Stallone sold in Rocky. Actors sell emotional reactions to what’s happening. Here the reactions are just physical.

I get that.  I just meant, it's probably weird for like MMA fighters to come in and realize that they need to show that their knee hurts, when usually, they'd try like hell to not let anyone know.

3 minutes ago, Log said:

I get that.  I just meant, it's probably weird for like MMA fighters to come in and realize that they need to show that their knee hurts, when usually, they'd try like hell to not let anyone know.

They probably have a really good sense of what the pain should feel like though. Like guys who got stretched by Tojo on the way in.

• Like 1