Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Is Bryan’s 5 months the shortest time between main eventing Wrestlemania and appearing for another promotion?

Kevin Nash wrestled the Undertaker March 31st 1996 at Wrestlemania and turned up June 10th on Nitro. That's not the main event, but they did try to sell Punk on that "wrestling Taker IS main eventing" horseshit, so I'm counting it.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not for nothing but ... Pete Dunne may be a free agent right now, unless he re-signed and no one knows about it.

How much of his first year's salary do you think Dragon would pay just to fight him?

ETA:

 

Edited by Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doing some more after dark watching of 1984 Mid-South and the Master G debut was actually kinda cool (I suspect it peaked with the debut though). The fact that while I knew of George Wells years later, I had no idea who the guy was when he showed up, made it better.

You can watch the debut here

Or I can just describe it:

Spoiler

Butch Reed comes out for a match with Brickhouse Brown (Brick, and his magnificent Rick James hair, isn't there). Instead an unknown dude comes out with a jacket on his forearm. He gets into it with Reed and unveils a taped right fist and pretty much beats the fuck out of Butch Reed before leaving. Then he does an interview later to clarify who he is.

Bill Watts' quest for a new JYD (while simultaneously burying JYD because he's on WWF TV) is gonna be a recurring theme here.

Really the new JYD probably should have been 1984 Duggan.

One extra 1984 Mid-South note: you can really see Joel Watts becoming better and better at using video editing equipment as the year goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dog said:

Not for nothing but ... Pete Dunne may be a free agent right now, unless he re-signed and no one knows about it.

How much of his first year's salary do you think Dragon would pay just to fight him?

ETA:

 

Wow, if he's gone, then basically ALL of my current favorites (that matter) have left WWE in a pretty short timespan. I mean, Ricochet and Drew McIntyre are still on the main roster, but by the way things are going, that's not enough. If it wasn't for the magnificent back-catalogue (of mostly non-WWF stuff), watching the Network is losing its appeal, even for me. Sad times. Well, not really sad, since all of this is great news for any company that isn't WWE, but interesting times, nonetheless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe it was Alvarez who said Lucha Bros. vs. Young Bucks was the greatest cage match ever...  obviously i loved the match but it got me thinking..  

What's the greatest tag team cage match of all time?     

Magnum vs Tully

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Magnum vs Tully

Points for piece of a chair stabbed in the eye, but it cannot be the greatest without a moonsault off the cage. So, does anyone know if there is a match with BOTH eye stab and a moonsault/a flip greater than a basic moonsault off the cage, because that will be the objective answers to the question "what's the greatest gage match ever?" I don't know the match, just the criteria.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What's the greatest tag team cage match of all time?     Not counting War Games but can count Hell in a Cell..  

I know people hate them, but I really like those AAA cage matches from the mid-90’s. Even if they have escape rules, it just works because you got a giant cage, fans going wild when a technico leaves the cage, escaped rudos interfering in the outcome, guys going back in on both sides to negate the escape, and finally a possible dive from Mascarita Sagrada(Or Rey Mysterio). They really are the best version of escape rules when you factor in all the madness that transpires. It just stops being fun eventually when the Black Family starts doing their sloppy Hardy Boyz spots in a cage match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dog said:

Not for nothing but ... Pete Dunne may be a free agent right now, unless he re-signed and no one knows about it.

Considering how NXT ended last night, he definitely isn't a free agent "right now"

Of course it is entirely possible he is one of the dudes with a contract that is ending earlier than expected.

In confirming the KO news - Meltzer said that they (the WWE) restructured deals pre-pandemic and seemed to imply they were more guys with earlier release dates than just Cole and KO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997 still gets my vote as the best steel cage match ever. A ***** match. Michaels best match ever and Undertaker's best match ever. After that, Sting's Squadron vs. Dangerous Alliance in WarGames at Wrestle War 1992. That's also *****.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Considering how NXT ended last night, he definitely isn't a free agent "right now"

Of course it is entirely possible he is one of the dudes with a contract that is ending earlier than expected.

In confirming the KO news - Meltzer said that they (the WWE) restructured deals pre-pandemic and seemed to imply they were more guys with earlier release dates than just Cole and KO

I don't know. They insert Black into a program with Big E, did all of those vignettes with Black, and then released him. Similar things happened to other NXT folks. I'm not sure being involved in a storyline is a good indicator anymore that your contract isn't up or you won't be released.

Aside from that, we're definitely now in the territory where AEW can't keep signing every cool dude that gets released. A bunch of us have said it, but you could easily have a third viable major US company start up with everyone that's out there. It wouldn't be as big as AEW, but it wouldn't have the stink that Impact will never be able to get rid of, and it wouldn't have to be low rent like MLW or ROH. Of course, the issue is always money and someone who loves the business enough to invest a lot of money and I probably would only ever trust another person from here to do it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually think *one* of the reasons AEW puts out so much content (4 shows a week) is to stop Sinclair from even thinking about trying anything. The partnership with Impact also aids that. I'm going to try to watch the G1, but other than that ffs I have enough to watch.

PWI500 reaction:

Spoiler

And lol at Rich Swann breaking the Top 10 of the PWI 500 - but congrats to him if he cares!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Aside from that, we're definitely now in the territory where AEW can't keep signing every cool dude that gets released. A bunch of us have said it, but you could easily have a third viable major US company start up with everyone that's out there. It wouldn't be as big as AEW, but it wouldn't have the stink that Impact will never be able to get rid of, and it wouldn't have to be low rent like MLW or ROH. Of course, the issue is always money and someone who loves the business enough to invest a lot of money and I probably would only ever trust another person from here to do it.

If we were in different times, I think we'd quite likely see some of touring promotion emerge to do Europe and Australia etc, especially given that AEW doesn't seem that interested in running much of a house show schedule. Obv. we will have to see what happens....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't know. They insert Black into a program with Big E, did all of those vignettes with Black, and then released him. Similar things happened to other NXT folks. I'm not sure being involved in a storyline is a good indicator anymore that your contract isn't up or you won't be released.

There is a big difference between just getting random released and having your contract come up.

Now that being said - would I be shocked that they started a new prominent angle with him only to find out it was his last date? No, not at all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm shocked no one on here was repping RnR Express vs Minnesota Wrecking Crew from Starrcade 86. Great tag cage match. 

I also liked the Triple X vs AMW cage match from TNA/Impact from 2004. The one with Skipper's crazy cage walk hurricanranna.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

I'm shocked no one on here was repping RnR Express vs Minnesota Wrecking Crew from Starrcade 86. Great tag cage match. 

I also liked the Triple X vs AMW cage match from TNA/Impact from 2004. The one with Skipper's crazy cage walk hurricanranna.

Someone did.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...