DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Yooo what's up @piranesi??

I've been wondering something, and I'm sure many others here have the same question on their minds....

What are your thoughts on HOOK???

The movie or the device?

Unfortunately I was into high school already when Hook: the Movie came out and of course, being a twat I was like "NOOO. That's a BABY MOVIE. I'm A MAN!!!!!! I want boobs and and/or Jackie Chan ONLY!!!!"

Which was dumb. But also means I have no nostalgic connection with it, and I don't think I ever did see it.

Now, the device. Useful as fuck. For, like, almost grabbing things, but only if they're below you? Can't be beat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, piranesi said:

The movie or the device?

Unfortunately I was into high school already when Hook: the Movie came out and of course, being a twat I was like "NOOO. That's a BABY MOVIE. I'm A MAN!!!!!! I want boobs and and/or Jackie Chan ONLY!!!!"

Which was dumb. But also means I have no nostalgic connection with it, and I don't think I ever did see it.

Now, the device. Useful as fuck. For, like, almost grabbing things, but only if they're below you? Can't be beat.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

But, as in the case of so many 2nd generation talents, why not take advantage of the lineage and history associated with the "family" name?? 

It just seems so stupid to me. 

I get what you are saying, but seeing as he wasn't using the Regal name before, there is a chance he maybe doesn't want to use it.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, AxB said:

Adam Cole was Vince's number one Wednesday Night Warrior. When NXT went on telly, the Undisputed Era was the top act there, and Adam Cole was the top guy in the group. By far the most charismatic guy in the group too.

"Most charismatic guy in Undisputed Era" has to be the textbook definition of damning with faint praise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

William Regal's kid's name new is.....

CHARLIE DEMPSEY

WTF is wrong with this company???

The lad who had one match as Bailey Matthews (Tyler Bate gave him everything), is now on the same TV show, with a new name? Like Ben Carter showing up as up and coming indie sensation Ben Carter, and shortly thereafter becoming Nathan Frazier for no particular reason?

Hardly anyone in NXT-UK got re-gimmicked at first. Even some of the more recent arrivals are still under their regular names, like Rampage Brown. Sha Samuels even got to do an angle where he refused his new WWE name (Ed Harvey) and went back to Sha Samuels. But Bea Priestly is Blair Davenport now. But Meiko Satomura is still Meiko Satomura.

Make it make sense. You can't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

A lot of folks in AEW use the flatliner, too. I'm a little disappointed nobody ever brings Kanyon up on commentary when they do, but I guess maybe his is too sad a story.

Don't quote me on this, but I feel like I heard Excalibur shout Kanyon out one time on Dynamite when Brian Cage did it. Kanyon was one of my favorites as well. I was so excited when he was doing Mortis at WWE house shows, I wish that made TV

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Kenyon was great. I saw him work a dark match against Nathan Jones and he made Jones look so good just feeding into him and bumping like a pinball. The crowd totally bought Jones as the real deal. Who beta than kanyon?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Don't quote me on this, but I feel like I heard Excalibur shout Kanyon out one time on Dynamite when Brian Cage did it. Kanyon was one of my favorites as well. I was so excited when he was doing Mortis at WWE house shows, I wish that made TV

Brian Cage uses the Flatliner, and Kanyon was likely referenced on commentary, because he was one of the many who trained Brian Cage.

• Like 2

"Doglegs" is streaming on PLEX (via Roku for me, free with many ads for deadly prescription meds and Coke products), highly recommended. It's a documentary on a niche Japanese wrestling federation that features handicapped and differently abled workers. As someone with very good carny-sense (it's like gaydar), the blurring of the lines between work and shoot is incredible, both on the part of the documentary and the workers and fed themselves. I have watched this (and the raw card footage as well) with both wrestling and non-wrestling fans and some folks can't handle it. It just up-ends peoples expectations that much. Not for workrate nerds but there are several puro and joshi cameos.

- RAF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Brian Cage uses the Flatliner, and Kanyon was likely referenced on commentary, because he was one of the many who trained Brian Cage.

Cage was also close to Kanyon and Kanyon was one of his favorites, hence Cage doing the "WHO BETTA" thing as a tribute to Kanyon.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Cage was also close to Kanyon and Kanyon was one of his favorites, hence Cage doing the "WHO BETTA" thing as a tribute to Kanyon.

Yeah, Kanyon passed the Mortis gimmick onto Cage as well.

A while back there was a board discussion of wrestlers who where better versions of previous wrestlers (I.E. Flair over Buddy Rogers, Benoit over Dynamite Kid) I'm not sure who was better Cage or Kanyon. But Kanyon was kinda the original Mr. GMSI

As for 2nd gen wrestlers its probably a damned if you do damned if you don't thing. David Sammintino probably would have had a better chance if he wasn't constantly in his dad's shadow 

Meltzer had this blurb in the new WON that definitely makes it seem that HHH's health situation was more series than they wanted to lead on

Everything remains quiet regarding Paul Levesque. We are told that he’s in good enough shape that he is taking calls. Talent was told that they can call him and wish him well but that they are not to talk any WWE business with him

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only half joking as I wonder if Prichard used this to bury HHH more.  "These kids today can't handle it, Vince!  Back in the day, we'd snort rails all day, have three heart attacks before lunch, and still be at poolside in time to book the show!"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Only half joking as I wonder if Prichard used this to bury HHH more.  "These kids today can't handle it, Vince!  Back in the day, we'd snort rails all day, have three heart attacks before lunch, and still be at poolside in time to book the show!"

Oh I made up my mind long time ago that that was the case. Vince has always been a workaholic. If you show any signs of weakness, then his trust in you starts to fall apart. Hunter always seemed to struggle being a public face, or at least be of a similar type to him. The recent health issues just put a nail in the coffin for him running the show.

Not that he doesn’t care about him, but he won’t rely on him to grab breakfast.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

18 hours ago, Infinit said:

But, as in the case of so many 2nd generation talents, why not take advantage of the lineage and history associated with the "family" name?? 

It just seems so stupid to me. 

I remember a while back, and forgive me if I'm incorrect, but there was a story about WWE not allowing Joe Hennig to use his family name because they felt that he hadn't "earned" it yet. I don't know if that was ever confirmed, but it does seem like a very WWE thing to do, and wildly fucking offensive especially in the case of Joe who had to sit home without a father most of his childhood and then lose that father way too young. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I remember a while back, and forgive me if I'm incorrect, but there was a story about WWE not allowing Joe Hennig to use his family name because they felt that he hadn't "earned" it yet. I don't know if that was ever confirmed, but it does seem like a very WWE thing to do, and wildly fucking offensive especially in the case of Joe who had to sit home without a father most of his childhood and then lose that father way too young. 

Earlier this year Arn Anderson randomly brought it up on his podcast and described it more as the WWE using the excuse of "well he will never be as good as his Dad so don't saddle him with the burden of Hennig"

And you can find interviews where Joe just wanted any name that wasn't Michael McGillicutty so it is probably part of the reason he didn't put up too much of a fuss

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

That sounds totally on brand for WWE.

• Like 3