DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

From watching some 1986 WCW, JJ Dillon might be the manager whose on-screen persona suggests that he’s currently involved in some sort of high stakes fraud. Paul Jones would be engaging in petty crimes, Gary Hart would be contracting his guys out to “help” medical bill collectors, and JJ would be smuggling diamonds out of an African war zone using child soldiers. JJ didn’t ask questions when he made a deal to send planes and 30,000 rubber bands to Colombia, he just knew there was some money in it.

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I like Johnny gargano, but I don't want him in AEW. TK needs to be like, sorry, door's closed. 

EDIT: Unless you're Io, Asuka, Bayley, and maybe a couple other women. 

Seriously, pretty much every woman on WWE's roster would be in asset in AEW.  I like how the division is growing, but if anyone higher on the card than Dana Brooke or Lacey Evans hits the market they need to go out of their way to sign them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Seriously, pretty much every woman on WWE's roster would be in asset in AEW.  I like how the division is growing, but if anyone higher on the card than Dana Brooke or Lacey Evans hits the market they need to go out of their way to sign them.

It won't be tomorrow or anything, but I'd guess at this point Charlotte has to be a near-lock when her deal is up

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It won't be tomorrow or anything, but I'd guess at this point Charlotte has to be a near-lock when her deal is up

There was a point where she was my second top pick to go to AEW after Io. I think I'd rather Mandy Rose over Charlotte at this point. 

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There was a point where she was my second top pick to go to AEW after Io. I think I'd rather Mandy Rose over Charlotte at this point. 

If the question is who I'd like to watch wrestle, Charlotte is over Mandy Rose.  If the question is who I would like to wrestle, Mandy Rose goes over Charlotte.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

From watching some 1986 WCW, JJ Dillon might be the manager whose on-screen persona suggests that he’s currently involved in some sort of high stakes fraud. Paul Jones would be engaging in petty crimes, Gary Hart would be contracting his guys out to “help” medical bill collectors, and JJ would be smuggling diamonds out of an African war zone using child soldiers. JJ didn’t ask questions when he made a deal to send planes and 30,000 rubber bands to Colombia, he just knew there was some money in it.

Has any manager in wrestling history traded up like JJ Dillion did between Fall 1985 and Spring 1986?

From: Buddy Landell, Black Bart, and Ron Bass (while also wearing very frilly over-the-top wrestling manager tuxedos)

To: THE HORSEMEN (while also upgrading his suit game x1000)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Has any manager in wrestling history traded up like JJ Dillion did between Fall 1985 and Spring 1986?

From: Buddy Landell, Black Bart, and Ron Bass (while also wearing very frilly over-the-top wrestling manager tuxedos)

Fuji moving to WWF Champion Yokozuna after Orient Express and Berzerker feels up there?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Fuji moving to WWF Champion Yokozuna after Orient Express and Berzerker feels up there?

It really is wild looking back in kayfabe that for all the effort that Blassie put into getting the championship back in his stable, and all the blood, sweat, tears, and poisoning of friendships that Heenan pulled off, and for the time that Jimmy Hart was able to control the Tag Team and Intercontinental Championships, that it was fucking MR. FUJI that ended the scourge of Hulkamania in the WWF.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

It really is wild looking back in kayfabe that for all the effort that Blassie put into getting the championship back in his stable, and all the blood, sweat, tears, and poisoning of friendships that Heenan pulled off, and for the time that Jimmy Hart was able to control the Tag Team and Intercontinental Championships, that it was fucking MR. FUJI that ended the scourge of Hulkamania in the WWF.

I mean, he always was the devious one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

I don't know if JJ was also managing Thunderfoot (or both of them) or if there was just a Black Bart/Thunderfoot tag team because it was late 85 Crockett.. but yeah, JJ was slumming it before he got to be with the Horsemen full-time. I guess that's one upside to Buddy Landel fucking up his chance.

JJ was also involved in a brilliant concept of an angle a few years earlier where he had a patsy (Jim Holliday) that was handling the management of the Zambuie Express, like it was a shell corporation or JJ was using his relatives as straw buyers to get around legal requirements

• Like 1

I didn’t know this was as detailed a thing on wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heenan_Family

The WWF membership timeline almost gives you the trades Heenan done each year! Like Andre leaving in 1990 freed up the salary cap to bring in Flair!

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

Them making it canon now and addressing it ? I think between this and the fireworks barbed wire debacle they're doing the Lord's work putting Kingston and Moxley on damage control ?

Well, this makes me feel a little bit better about tomorrow's show. I honestly haven't been very excited about it. Newark got fucked out of Blood & Guts and being the week before the Queens show. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Victor Quinones had a real life rep for that. I went out for dinner and drinks with him in Japan once. The conversation led to the fact that he wasn't smuggling drugs or guns or anything bad like that. He was making extra money by bringing underwear and coffee into Japan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• NXT v1: Talent Show
  • NXT v2: FCW with a new name
  • NXT v3: Triple H presents Indie Wrestling (with bad lighting)
  • NXT v4: Bright colours and greener Wrestlers. With no guard rails for some reason.

So why they are calling it 2.0 I don't know. Unless they're so upset at the former EverRise getting over using the name 2.0 that they're trying to reclaim it somehow.

• Like 1