DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

So with all this talk of cage matches, is this a safe space to admit that I thought Kenny Omega and Christian were fighting in a cage on Sunday. I didn't realize Christian's last name was Cage. I read it as, "Kenny Omega vs Christian, Cage" like cage was the type of match. 

You are the reason WWE wrestlers can't have surnames, dammit.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Was this when he was trying to be Harley Race and Jack Brisco and every old 70s famous territory wrestling mat technician/grappler all rolled into one? He was about 25 years too late for that.

What's crazy is if a young guy, with the right charisma and presentation cane along, they could make a killing doing just this.

ZSJ and Simon Gotch/Seth Lesser both have parts of it.

An old timey strong man just stretching fools and then breaking them in half with a bear hug or passing them out with a thick sleeper would be sweet.

Imagine building up the '3 arm drop finish' as a gimmick for a few years. The first person to keep the arm up and fire up out of it would get an insane pop.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

He did an interview earlier this year about how AJ Styles wanted a match with him at WM, but he felt he didn't have the availability to get in to WrestleMania shape due to all of his other responsibilities. 

It seems like a lot of dudes - and it could be the usual sucking up to the boss - talked about wanting a match against Hunter at Mania.

There was an interview that came out a couple of days ago where Damien Priest said he is bringing it up to HHH all the time (and I would say he was only half joking)

• Like 1

It is funny how people are using the "Well it worked for Roddy Piper".    Piper was originally made a manager because he was a great talker.   Adam Cole was going to made a manager because he is short

Also they wanted to use Cole for Keith Lee who doesn't need anyone to talk for him and even if it was a heel turn has been 50/50 to death that it would take a long time to get on next level

That doesn't sound like a terrible idea for Cole, though I'd stop short of calling it good.  And i don't think it would work.

Having Lee turn heel and become a generic big scary black guy is a waste of Lee, though it might be better for him than his current gimmick as the invisible man.

I want to say that most of the audience could distinguish between long-haired wrestler Adam Cole and middle-aged announcer Michael Cole, but I'd probably just be setting myself up for disappointment.

That idea for Adam Cole is about the dumbest fucking thing and the most predictable thing you could see WWE doing. If even 10% of that was true, Adam Cole made the right move by leaving for AEW. 

• Like 2

I was trying to not clog up the thread with PWI 500 talk because I am too lazy to make its own thread but Meltzer saying there are some wrestlers who take the 500 way too seriously and then two minutes later losing his mind because Tanahashi was behind Braun Strowman is the reason I can never stop listening to the radio show.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

8 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Vince would lose his mind with all the guys named "Cage" or "Page" in AEW

Everyone always brings up the Pages and Cages, but nobody ever mentions 2 Brian's, 2 Chrisses (plus a Kris and a Christian), 2 Jacks, 3 Matt's, 2 Max's and a Mox.

• Like 1

A deal where he’ll be in the WWE literally as soon as his college wrestling season is over. If NILs existed in the 80s, Bill Watts would have had Dr. Death on one several years before he graduated.

I checked the timeline and Dr. Death worked some Mid South after his OU wrestling career ended but then he played OU football that fall (or as Bill Watts would likely explain it: being a pro wrestler doesn’t impact your eligibility as a college football player)

If there’s anybody facing Steveson in college over the next year who has the charisma to go into the WWE, at least there’s a natural reason for that person to show up and feud with Steveson.

That being said, don’t pick up your phone Chad Gable.

• Like 1

So they wanted to change the name of a guy who's been around so long that they didn't even change his name when he came into the company... because of an announcer. And work a gimmick that was dumped the first time around (because Lio was pissing people off, but still, they never replaced him). Got it. 

• Like 1